Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help Choosing Location?

Default Re: Help Choosing Location?

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    If your reasons are strong enough they probably cropped up elsewhere in your app (SOP, intercultural experience, japan-related studies)
    Hmmm, I don't remember mentioning preferences anywhere other than picking them on the online form.

I didn't write about my preferences in my SOP because my main reason was "colder climate = less insects" and I didn't want to seem pathetic~

I was also never asked "why JET?" or "why Japan?"
    Last edited by Frap; July 20th, 2016 at 11:20.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    It could happen. 1/100.

Formerly the Hot One OatsCurrySummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frap View Post
    I didn't want to seem pathetic~

I was also never asked "why JET?" or "why Japan?"
    Too bad, I don't think "because Japanese men" is a pathetic answer at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Frap View Post
    If I remember correctly, there was no option to include a reason for your preferences on the online form. You had the option of choosing a "top three" from a drop down box. They didn't even bring up my choices in the interview. Literally wasn't even mentioned.

FYI, my top choice was Hokkaido and I got Hokkaido.
    U.S. Form for 2016 had the 3 dropdowns, and space to give reasons. But, IIRC, the character limit on each reason was something like 20-50. (Understandable.)
    Last edited by Frap; Today at 18:46. Reason: sucker

The one piece of helpful advice I have to give is that I picked 3 southwestern Japan choices for mostly climate reasons (it was brought up it my interview, as well), and lo and behold, I received a placement in SWhweaty balls Japan.
    But as others have said (and my application pointed this out as well), there's only so much JET can do to accommodate placement requests. That's why they're called requests.

My 2nd piece of advice is to lurk and explore every single section of this forum, especially "Aspiring and Applying". There are treasure troves of good advice, even in the archives.
    Last edited by Frap; Today at 18:46. Reason: sucker

Realistically, the "unique" places in Japan probably won't have JET ALTs, and even if they do, openings vary year to year.

Remember that you don't need to list preferences. And that sometimes your preference for location will be in conflict with your level (for example, some cities only hire JET ALTs for elementary school positions.) Don't feel pressured to pick 3 places in Japan you really, really want to live in - more than likely you won't get them anyways.

But doing research into regions of Japan never hurts - I wouldn't have chosen my location (I didn't put any preferences) and I'm very happy with it. Even though it was on the far side of the country from where I had lived before.

Default Re: HELP CHOOSING LOCATION?

Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    Well if you request Tottori or Shimane you will get it.
    I lived in Yamaguchi and loved it. Mind you, I lived 8 minutes away from a Shinkansen stop. That was nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Otsu city is a good strategic pick. Right in the middle of Japan, 10 minutes on the train to Kyoto yet a big enough city itself that allows you a slice of Japanese suburban life.

The hot springs in Kyushu are awesome!! Give it a try and perhaps, you'll get it. (Wow! I can't believe the JET application have all gone online.)

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alee50 View Post
    Wow! I can't believe the JET application have all gone online.
    The applications open around October.

Some people just like to be prepared.