Thread: Getting a mattress for my apartment

Default Getting a mattress for my apartment

So, I'm setting up a new apartment once I get to Japan next month. I bought some furniture from a JET in the area, which includes a single (twin) bed frame. The bed frame can be used with either futons or spring mattresses. I've slept on a futon before for about a week straight when I went to Japan last year, and it was super uncomfortable. I didn't sleep well. I wonder if it was because the futon mattress was too thin, maybe a thicker futon would be better?

Anyway, I would really prefer to get a spring (western-style) mattress, if possible. But I wonder if asking my supervisor to help me get that mattress to my apartment would be too much trouble for them? I'm not even sure if we will be able to fit it in their car. Will I be able to get the mattress delivered to my apartment same day? How much do single/twin mattress cost generally? I probably will get the cheapest mattress available.

If I do go the futon route instead, I will want to get one that is well-padded and comfortable. Something like THIS. I figure I can always layer the futon with extra futons or a memory foam mattress topper to make it softer if I need to. Does anyone know how much thick twin sized futon like this usually go for?

I realize I also have to worry about disposing of the mattress when I leave Japan. Is it easier to dispose of a futon mattress than it is to dispose of a spring mattress?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by JPNLKatie; July 23rd, 2016 at 14:33.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: Getting a mattress for my apartment

When you goto the store, you don't walk out with a mattress. The store will deliver it to your house and carry it inside for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I think the cheapest single mattresses from nitori run about 10,000yen. You probably have to get it delivered as they don't normally keep a lot of that stuff at the store itself but if they have one in stock they will let you have it there and then. If it won't fit in your car they will lend you a k-truck for an hour.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Seems I won't be getting that bed frame after all. But I still need something to sleep on when I arrive Aug. 3rd.

Will it be possible for me to obtain a western mattress and have it at my apartment the day I arrive? Or will I most likely need to order it online and have it shipped? Which means I'll have to buy a futon to use in the mean time.

Quote Originally Posted by JPNLKatie View Post
    Seems I won't be getting that bed frame after all. But I still need something to sleep on when I arrive Aug. 3rd.

Will it be possible for me to obtain a western mattress and have it at my apartment the day I arrive? Or will I most likely need to order it online and have it shipped? Which means I'll have to buy a futon to use in the mean time.
    Whatever one of those happens, you'll survive, and in a few years look back on the hours you wasted stressing about the minutiae of arriving in Japan.

Honestly, it's not likely to be even 1% of the hassle you're imagining it will.

You can order one off 【ニトリ】公式通販 家具・インテリア・生活雑貨通販のニトリネット but getting it delivered the day you arrive will be tricky. First you'll need to provide a phone number which you probably dont have yet, then you can only specify morning or afternoon delivery. The day before they will call you and give you a more exact time. You could give them the BOE phone number but they have better things to do than organise your mattress for you and if you are meeting the mayor of your town or the principals of your schools on the first day you wont really have time to nip out and take delivery of a bed at 2 in the afternoon. Better to get stuff like that delivered on a weekend. Your supervisor wont dump you in an empty apartment and expect you to sleep in the bath. If there is nothing to sleep on in your apartment they will either provide something before hand or take you somewhere to buy a futon when you arrive.
    Last edited by Ini; July 26th, 2016 at 08:02.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    Whatever one of those happens, you'll survive, and in a few years look back on the hours you wasted stressing about the minutiae of arriving in Japan.

Honestly, it's not likely to be even 1% of the hassle you're imagining it will.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. In a way, I'm hoping I won't be able to get the mattress the day I arrive, so I won't have to rush on choosing one. It might be better to take my time to choosing a mattress I like.

did katie get a mattress??? A month of panicking over everything and then silence, I'm on the edge of my seat here. Did she arrive and slip seamlessly into a life of rainbows and unicorns or did she have a nervous breakdown at tokyo orientation and never made it to her town???

Dead by now, I'm guessing.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Dead by now, I'm guessing.
    Rolled up in a mattress?

If Amazon sold big things like mattresses, do you think they'd do same day delivery?

I honestly doubt it, but it left me curious about the possibility.
    Last edited by Zolrak 22; August 4th, 2016 at 09:35.

Suffocation in a rare mattress accident. Should have been a little more precise in her preparation.