Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

Thread: Best cities to list as preference?

  1. #21
    Member Madjawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    北海度:???
    Posts
    49

    Default Re: Best cities to list as preference?

    Debating whether I want to stay near Tokyo to be near college friends, or say screw 'em and go for that glorious snow country...

  2. #22

    Default Re: Best cities to list as preference?

    Good question!

    Himeji is my city's sister city. I was going to put that down as a preference.

    Also Kobe - mainly because I compete in BBQ comps and Kobe beef is pretty rad.

    That being said, the Inaka lifestyle is pretty much my bag. Especially if some of the stories I've heard about getting accomodation with a little garden is on the cards. I know ESID but surely chances of that would increase the more rurally you went?

    Any thoughts?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #23

    Default Re: Best cities to list as preference?

    I've been sitting on this question as well, I don't have much of a preference in things, but I am terrified of driving. Any places I have a decent shot at that won't require me to drive? I wouldn't want to be in a large city like Tokyo or anything, it also wouldn't be a huge deal if I were though, but one large enough to have some reliable public transport would be lovely.
    Only other slight preference I'd have is to be on Honshu, but that isn't even a big deal really.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Best cities to list as preference?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ferigoisacat View Post
    I've been sitting on this question as well, I don't have much of a preference in things, but I am terrified of driving. Any places I have a decent shot at that won't require me to drive? I wouldn't want to be in a large city like Tokyo or anything, it also wouldn't be a huge deal if I were though, but one large enough to have some reliable public transport would be lovely.
    Only other slight preference I'd have is to be on Honshu, but that isn't even a big deal really.
    There's no need to be scared of driving, if you can drive at home you can drive in Japan. For practically every placement outside Tokyo or Osaka it will improve your time on JET dramatically.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Best cities to list as preference?

    Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    There's no need to be scared of driving, if you can drive at home you can drive in Japan. For practically every placement outside Tokyo or Osaka it will improve your time on JET dramatically.
    Hell yeah... coming from my part of Australia I can't imagine having to rely on public transport. Nothing like the window down, tunes pumping and heading down the highway.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #26
    Senior Member mothy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    On a happy rainbow
    Posts
    12,379

    Default Re: Best cities to list as preference?

    That sounds nothing like driving in japan.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Best cities to list as preference?

    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    That sounds nothing like driving in japan.
    Bubble burst haha


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #28

    Default Re: Best cities to list as preference?

    Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    There's no need to be scared of driving, if you can drive at home you can drive in Japan. For practically every placement outside Tokyo or Osaka it will improve your time on JET dramatically.
    While I do have a license in the states, I hate driving here enough as it is haha. And at least here I'm on the side of the road I'm familiar with and can actually read the signs and know the roads. Driving in my experience is kind of like being on the internet, that sense of anonymity brings out the worst in people. People will act like complete jerks when they think they can hide behind their steering wheel and tinted windows you know? Its's just stressful and I'd prefer not to have to add to the overall stress of moving to another country. However if that's just how it's gotta be I will of course.
    Frankly the public transport was one of the appeals to Japan for me, I always wished I lived in a larger city that I didn't have to worry about the anxieties involved with driving. I live in a suburb of a fairly large city here in the states, but even when you get into the city there's nearly no public transport.

    I don't really mind being in a place where driving would be more convenient or faster, but just a place where it isn't 100% necessary to survive. Even just a good bus route would work for me hah. I also don't mind walking, but would have difficulties walking extremely long distances every day. I've got a slight medical issue with my knees, nothing debilitating but just kinda painful.

    Perhaps I should rephrase my question, which places should I try to avoid completely, that are situations where getting a car is 100% necessary and there is no other alternative? I assume most places in Hokkaido would be like this lol, but maybe I'm wrong.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Best cities to list as preference?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ferigoisacat View Post
    Perhaps I should rephrase my question, which places should I try to avoid completely, that are situations where getting a car is 100% necessary and there is no other alternative? I assume most places in Hokkaido would be like this lol, but maybe I'm wrong.
    I've had two placements in Hokkaido where I haven't been allowed to drive to work, so...
    Anywhere you go, it's the luck of the draw. If you want to up your chances of not having to drive, I think saying that you're not willing to drive on the application would be more effective than trying to request a placement that has a less likely chance of requiring driving. It might decrease your chances of getting in if you're placed on the alternate list (people willing to drive are sometimes favored for upgrades), but oh well.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Best cities to list as preference?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ferigoisacat View Post
    Perhaps I should rephrase my question, which places should I try to avoid completely, that are situations where getting a car is 100% necessary and there is no other alternative? I assume most places in Hokkaido would be like this lol, but maybe I'm wrong.
    Leveling with you: You can't control this. Even if you indicate that you aren't willing to drive, you might get a placement (if you're accepted) that requires a car for basic transportation. The majority of JET ALTs end up in quite rural placements, and it's fairly unavoidable. Remember that it's your Preference, but unless you have a strong existing link (like having studied abroad there, or sister city relationship etc) you're preferences are some of the lowest priority things considered in the application process.

    Every prefecture has locations that will require a car, or at least driving in some form or other, unless you want to pay $30 a day for a taxi every morning. However, some cities do impose rules like "No commuting via car" - IIRC Sendai City does this. However, there are also placements in other larger cities that require a car to commute, as visit schools can be quite far away, and even very remote, despite being inside city limits.

  11. #31
    Senior Member mothy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    On a happy rainbow
    Posts
    12,379

    Default Re: Best cities to list as preference?

    If you want to improve your chance, request a metropolitan area. But there's no real control over getting a place that needs a car vs a place that doesn't.

  12. #32
    disobedient avocado Lianwen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    INAKA
    Posts
    6,019

    Default Re: Best cities to list as preference?

    I said no to driving on my application. I got a BFI location, with a train that came every other hour or so from 8am-7pm.

    My schools were 40min-1hr by walking. I probably could have ridden a bike, but my BOE did not allow driving in our contracts. Instead, they paid for a taxi everyday, which came to about 6k-10k between two ALTs everyday.

    Even though I was BFI, my apartment was tiny. I had to go an hour away by train if I wanted groceries etc.

    I also did not get any of my preferred cities in my application, and my nearest preferred city was 6hrs away.

    So don't put down nondriving if you think that might get you a Tokyo placement etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?

  13. #33
    Billy Big Bollocks Ini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    28,772

    Default Re: Best cities to list as preference?

    this is lianwen we are talking about though, there was probably a supermarket next to her house but she didn't notice it.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

  14. #34
    disobedient avocado Lianwen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    INAKA
    Posts
    6,019

    Default Re: Best cities to list as preference?

    Go back under your bridge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?

  15. #35

    Default Re: Best cities to list as preference?

    I think it's important to point out (again) that every placement is different. I live in the middle of nowhere, but my school(s) are maybe a 10-15 minute walk, with a supermarket and conbinis even closer. But 5 years ago, my placement required going to 5 schools, the (second) closest which would be over 30 minutes walk - so although I could commute without my car now, 5 years it would have been a huge issue to not have one. Although otherwise quality of life would be pretty similar.

    Having a license, and even getting a shitty car to bum around the inaka (and maybe go to Costco a few times too often) can be a huge boon. And driving in the countryside in Japan much easier than driving in the US. It might not be as stressful as driving in the US (or other countries) after a weeks of adjustment.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Best cities to list as preference?

    The road signs are all in English and in 90% of placements having a car is less stressful than relying on public transport. There's also every chance you'd become "that guy" who mooches lifts off other JETs.

    If you were an interviewer, would you hire someone who claims to have "anxiety" about basic lifeskills? I'm astonished how few applicants seem to realise that they're putting an obvious red flag against their name with the driving issue.

  17. #37
    Senior Member mothy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    On a happy rainbow
    Posts
    12,379

    Default Re: Best cities to list as preference?

    Well hopefully people have the wherewithal to not be putting this stuff on their application. I mean, on my application I was saying yeah, put me wherever. Deepest darkest inakaville? Sign me up! While in my head I was saying please god no.

  18. #38
    Looking for some chaw acpc2203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,550

    Default Re: Best cities to list as preference?

    I was dumb enough to put that I wanted to be in a sister city without checking where every sister city was, so be careful.

  19. #39

    Default Re: Best cities to list as preference?

    Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    The road signs are all in English and in 90% of placements having a car is less stressful than relying on public transport. There's also every chance you'd become "that guy" who mooches lifts off other JETs.

    If you were an interviewer, would you hire someone who claims to have "anxiety" about basic lifeskills? I'm astonished how few applicants seem to realise that they're putting an obvious red flag against their name with the driving issue.
    I understand that my preferences don't mean much, and I'll likely have to do it anyway (and am ok with doing it if I have to), I'd just rather do everything in my power to avoid it. Maybe anxiety was too harsh of a word, given the context these days most people seem to think any anxiety at all is crippling. Having some anxiety about something does not mean you're going into a full blown panic attack or mental break down mode. People get anxious before a big interview or test, but they're not being sent to a psych ward for it. It's completely normal to feel anxious about things in life, it doesn't have to mean you have some horrible reaction or mental disorder about it. Anxiety is not always crippling.
    And I mean, there are things people would rather not do. You may think driving would be a convenience, I disagree. Driving is more a chore to me than some sort of reward or privilege. Same as doing the dishes. I would love to not have to do the dishes, because it's a chore I dislike, but just because I dislike it doesn't mean I won't do it when it needs to be done. However, I also often buy disposable utensils to avoid doing the thing I don't like doing, simply because I can and the option is there. That's the same thing I was trying to do here, if I have the ability to attempt to avoid it, I'd like to. Everyone wants to avoid doing things they don't like doing if they can, I don't think that makes them unfit in life or show a red flag at all. Sometimes you can't avoid it, so you do it anyway. The red flag is refusing to do the necessary things just because you don't like it, and that is in no way shape or form me or what I was asking. I apologize if you misunderstood me, but I thought I had made it clear that I am willing to drive, I'd just like to avoid it. So I appreciate you not diminishing my character by thinking I have no "life skills" or whatever and putting out imaginary red flags.

  20. #40

    Default Re: Best cities to list as preference?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ferigoisacat View Post
    It's completely normal to feel anxious about things in life, it doesn't have to mean you have some horrible reaction or mental disorder about it. Anxiety is not always crippling.
    .
    It's not normal for a grown adult to feel anxious about undertaking basic lifeskills. If you came out with that in interview it would almost certainly be flagged.

    If you're not keen on driving in Japan spin them some other reason i.e. you're a serious cyclist, finances or something.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •