Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best cities to list as preference?

Default Re: Best cities to list as preference?

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    It's not normal for a grown adult to feel anxious about undertaking basic lifeskills. If you came out with that in interview it would almost certainly be flagged.

If you're not keen on driving in Japan spin them some other reason i.e. you're a serious cyclist, finances or something.
    Well I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree. Everyone gets nervous about things in life, including you admit it or not. Big interviews, making large financial decisions, etc. There's absolutely nothing wrong with feeling nervous about things if it's not controlling your life, it's completely human. Driving is no walk in the park, thousands die every year in accidents. It's completely rational to consider the risks before doing anything that could potentially cost you your life. Evaluating risk is actually a better "life skill" if you ask me than driving. I'd even argue driving itself is not even in any way shape or form a "life skill" necessary to living anyway, since there are plenty of people who live their whole lives without ever getting behind the wheel, and yet live very successful lives at that. Whatever a "life skill" even is. You act like I cannot even function in life just because I can comprehend that driving is a risk to think about. That not enjoying driving is the same as being unable to lift a spoon to my mouth or load a washing machine. It's just silly.

Formerly the Hot One OatsCurrySummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    The road signs are all in English and in 90% of placements having a car is less stressful than relying on public transport. There's also every chance you'd become "that guy" who mooches lifts off other JETs.
    Gonna have to go with Mr.Charisma here. I got placed in the absolute most BFI and was screwed over by the Canadian bureaucratic system (long story short: they told me I could renew my license online after I got here, but once I got here I learned about some bullshit technicality which means I have to return to Canada to take a new photo, so now I cant get my Japanese license until I visit home). Having a social life blows without a car. I am always trying to avoid asking for rides, and 90% of the time I manage to do so, but Okinawa has no trains and there are some places that buses or taxis just dont go to. And then I end up being "that guy". It's not a good look.
    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferigoisacat View Post
    Well I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree. Everyone gets nervous about things in life, including you admit it or not. Big interviews, making large financial decisions, etc. There's absolutely nothing wrong with feeling nervous about things if it's not controlling your life, it's completely human. Driving is no walk in the park, thousands die every year in accidents. It's completely rational to consider the risks before doing anything that could potentially cost you your life. Evaluating risk is actually a better "life skill" if you ask me than driving. I'd even argue driving itself is not even in any way shape or form a "life skill" necessary to living anyway, since there are plenty of people who live their whole lives without ever getting behind the wheel, and yet live very successful lives at that. Whatever a "life skill" even is. You act like I cannot even function in life just because I can comprehend that driving is a risk to think about. That not enjoying driving is the same as being unable to lift a spoon to my mouth or load a washing machine. It's just silly.
    Nothing wrong with it on a fundamental moral reason, sure. From the point of view of a programme wanting to employ people to go to the buttholes of Japan and deal with a whole bunch of anxiety inducing situations and tough it out for several years, telling them about how basic tasks freak you out back home is just a reason for them to toss out your application.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferigoisacat View Post
    Evaluating risk is actually a better "life skill" if you ask me than driving. I'd even argue driving itself is not even in any way shape or form a "life skill" necessary to living anyway, since there are plenty of people who live their whole lives without ever getting behind the wheel, and yet live very successful lives at that. Whatever a "life skill" even is.
    You'll have plenty time to evaluate risks when you're waiting 4 hours on a bus in the middle of the boonies.

If you honestly think "I have evaluated the risks and have decided driving in Japan is too dangerous" will make you look more competent an applicant than "yeah sure I'll drive if needed", then please go ahead.
    Last edited by mrcharisma; October 30th, 2016 at 22:50.

Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by OatsCurrySummer View Post
    Gonna have to go with Mr.Charisma here. I got placed in the absolute most BFI and was screwed over by the Canadian bureaucratic system (long story short: they told me I could renew my license online after I got here, but once I got here I learned about some bullshit technicality which means I have to return to Canada to take a new photo, so now I cant get my Japanese license until I visit home). Having a social life blows without a car. I am always trying to avoid asking for rides, and 90% of the time I manage to do so, but Okinawa has no trains and there are some places that buses or taxis just dont go to. And then I end up being "that guy". It's not a good look.
    disgusting