Thread: Working with a JTE who doesn't speak English

Default Working with a JTE who doesn't speak English

tl;dr - I need help. My JTEs do not speak English - how do I explain games/activities/lesson plans to them.

Hey guys, hope all is well.

I have a question about working with JTEs who do not speak English at all.

What is the most effective way to use them in class? And what is the most effective way to have them help me teach the class? Obviously I can speak with them ("speak") before class and do my best to get them on the same page as me but what happens when I cannot do that in my Elementary school which I only visit once a week; and more likely than not, I will not have time to speak with them before my classes begin that day.

So what are the best ways y'all have found to get the JTE on the same page with you during class?

It sucks because to have a JTE who does not speak English really restricts me on what activities I can do. I feel that I cannot pick basic games/activities that require just a little bit more detail and explanation to the students because my JTE would not be able to explain it. (At least, that is how I feel - am I underestimating my JTE's abilities?) It certainly does not help to have both my class and JTE confused, know what I mean?

Any ideas, experience, or advice you can share with me?

Thanks guys.

Oh yea, frap is still cool. All hail Frap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypno-Bro View Post
    Hahaaha
    Frap is the funniest
    Quote Originally Posted by Frap View Post
    um
    i swear this isn't a fake account i made
    Quote Originally Posted by Frap View Post
    honest to god, i have 0 part in whoever hypno-bro is

Default Re: Working with a JTE who doesn't speak English

arrange to go to the elementary the night before to meet with the teachers to discuss the next days lessons. While you are there you can double check the schedule so you wont have any unexpected surprises.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypno-Bro View Post
    My JTEs do not speak English.
    Oh Japan, never change <3
    /\\//\/\ /\\//\/\ /\\//\/\

Oddly enough some of the elementary school teachers I teach with use more english in the classroom than the middle school JTEs.

Formerly the Hot One OatsCurrySummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    Oddly enough some of the elementary school teachers I teach with use more english in the classroom than the middle school JTEs.
    Can confirm, as was the case with my first JTE. Thankfully I only had to work with her a for a month before my new, awesome JTE moved here.

Also. Why are we answering common JET questions that so obviously belong to Frap's side account?
    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

Get better at Japanese. Unless you expect them to improve their English... Ha.

Honestly at ES kids are fine playing really simple games. Try to build up a repertoire of games that you can use in a wide variety of situations and cycle through them. I had the same issue at ES and really if you're into it and are super genki the kids don't care if it's karuta again or eraser man etc.
    I came here to laugh at you.

How about read English? If read then give them simple English with some Japanese lesson plans for next time. Script them for actions. Demonstrate how to play the games.

Aren't there no JTEs in elementary schools??? If they do have, then there's no need for ALTs. But, I'm guessing you're teaching with an HRT.

First, doesn't your school have pre-made lesson plans in English and in Japanese. If so, use them and give a copy of the Japanese version to your HRT. Their lessons are usually in the school's server, so ask them!

But, if you making your own lessons, be patient. They can probably understand you, but they can't communicate back as well as they like to. And, you might want to learn some Japanese.

Quote Originally Posted by alee50 View Post
    And, you might want to learn some Japanese.
    I'd start with learning English if I were you.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by alee50 View Post
    They can probably understand you, but they can't communicate back as well as they like to.
    Why has this myth about japanese people become a thing? No, most of them can't understand you if you're speaking english.

I dunno, a lot of people could understand if they listened carefully, they just freak out when they hear an American accent going way too fast and pronouncing rhotic sounds. Speak to them like you're a Blue Peter presenter and they do alright.