Thread: Question - Previous Acceptance

Default Question - Previous Acceptance

Hi all,

Hoping to have one question answered. Around four years ago, just out of undergrad, I applied for JET and was ultimately accepted. However, I had to turn the position down due to extenuating circumstances. I'm currently applying again, having recently finished graduate school, and am 100 percent committed if accepted again.

I'm wondering what the protocol is on mentioning previous acceptances in a personal statement. I don't want to seem as if I expect to be accepted again solely on the basis of making it through once before, nor do I want to indicate I'm less than completely committed to attending. In the intervening years, I've worked as an instructor, obtained a graduate degree, and furthered my Japanese skills, so I have other ways to approach the statement. At the same time, I don't want to obscure the fact that I've made it through the process before, nor hurt my chances by not mentioning it if it would help.

Any advice? Is this information best kept out of a personal statement, and left to an interview (or not brought up at all)? Would it help to add?

Thanks in advance! And best of luck to everyone applying this season!

Default Re: Question - Previous Acceptance

I don't think mentioning it or not mentioning it would hurt or help in and of itself. It's more about how it fits into your statement overall. If you can fit it in in such a way that it improves your statement, then go for it. If not then don't.