Thread: Which program/route to go down?

Default Which program/route to go down?

Hi there, I was wondering if you guys could please help me/give me any advice - apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum.

I'm a Brit who recently moved to Germany, so with some programs this could be a little problematic with attending interviews/getting health checks etc. - but it is doable. I graduated with a German Studies degree from Warwick University (1st class honours) and have acquired a TEFL qualification. I currently teach freelance in Germany, but have had experience (during my year abroad at uni) teaching English to classes of German primary school children.

It's always been a dream of mine to go to Japan. I have been fascinated by Japanese culture since I was little and have begun learning Japanese (i've got a LONG long way to go), this past year. For quite some time i've been thinking about applying for a program in which I could teach English in Japan for around a year. I know of the JET scheme and various others, but I would prefer to work and live in Tokyo (I understand that not many people are placed here, though).

I was just wondering if anyone thought I would stand a chance of getting onto any schemes, or had any recommendations or ideas on what I could do? I know that rent etc. is more expensive in large cities such as Tokyo, but I would love more than anything to be placed there.

Could anyone share any experiences with me or perhaps give me an idea of what program would be best suited to me? Thank you so much in advance.

Sophie

Default Re: Which program/route to go down?

The odds of getting Tokyo on Jet arent as slim as they once were. There's about 2-3 hundred there now I'm led to believe.

Interac can get you close to Tokyo but I wouldn't get your hopes up of Akihabara High School of Shibuya Elementary. Eikawas can get you even closer but are mainly for the bottom-feeders of the roundeye community.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    The odds of getting Tokyo on Jet arent as slim as they once were. There's about 2-3 hundred there now I'm led to believe.

Interac can get you close to Tokyo but I wouldn't get your hopes up of Akihabara High School of Shibuya Elementary. Eikawas can get you even closer but are mainly for the bottom-feeders of the roundeye community.
    word

Your experience sounds good; your "it's always been a dream of mine" shtick is probably gonna be a mark against you if you pursue the JET route. That's fine and all; just something to mebbe keep in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

It sounds like my ex-neighbour to be honest. Similar german experience and qualifications.

Wasn't an issue. Came to Japan on JET.

And yes, as of this year there are 400 ALTs in Tokyo now, so odds aren't as low as they once were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    word

Your experience sounds good; your "it's always been a dream of mine" shtick is probably gonna be a mark against you if you pursue the JET route. That's fine and all; just something to mebbe keep in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    It sounds like my ex-neighbour to be honest. Similar german experience and qualifications.

Wasn't an issue. Came to Japan on JET.

And yes, as of this year there are 400 ALTs in Tokyo now, so odds aren't as low as they once were.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated. It's good to know that the odds of being placed in Tokyo on JET are a bit better than they were, but i'd be prepared to be placed in somewhere else in the worst case. I know what you mean about that old "it's been a dream of mine" chestnut/cliché, so maybe it's best if I leave that kind of thing out of any applications. I'll have to have a good think. In the meantime i'll prepare what I can ahead of the application process and take it from there.

Much too reasonable of a response. Please respond in some way where you think you're a precious flower or some other way that can give some bored ALTs a bit of entertainment on a Monday morning.

I mean, it sounds like you want to be in Tokyo for a year. JET takes roughly a year before you're on the ground and is for all of Japan, so even with the huge Tokyo JET expansion that's a lot of time to invest for a relatively small chance at Tokyo. So start applying to Eikaiwa/private jobs in the Tokyo area, hang out on the job boards and all that. GL

Also to throw my two cents in here, I've heard depending on who you're contracted to in Tokyo you're not even really guaranteed housing. While I was studying abroad there we met a few folks who were basically given a bit of an extra living stipend and a little help finding their own place instead of the usual set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Madjawa View Post
    Also to throw my two cents in here, I've heard depending on who you're contracted to in Tokyo you're not even really guaranteed housing. While I was studying abroad there we met a few folks who were basically given a bit of an extra living stipend and a little help finding their own place instead of the usual set up.
    A number of Tokyo JETs posted their stories here - IIRC (I'm too lazy to use search to find their posts) most of them were matched with a real estate company (selected by gov't red tape) to find them apartments and then given fairly standard living stipends (like most other employees relocating for work.)

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Much too reasonable of a response. Please respond in some way where you think you're a precious flower or some other way that can give some bored ALTs a bit of entertainment on a Monday morning.
    Haha! Sorry to disappoint! Hmm, let me try...
    I deserve the best. I wish to be placed in Tokyo and have accommodation provided for me in Azabu. I expect to be fed the finest tempura shrimp on demand by servants allocated to me by JET and I will use wild Totoro as a footstool. If this doesn't happen, i'll kick up a fuss.
    Better?

Quote Originally Posted by vaterross View Post
    I mean, it sounds like you want to be in Tokyo for a year. JET takes roughly a year before you're on the ground and is for all of Japan, so even with the huge Tokyo JET expansion that's a lot of time to invest for a relatively small chance at Tokyo. So start applying to Eikaiwa/private jobs in the Tokyo area, hang out on the job boards and all that. GL
    Thank you for the advice. Much appreciated. I don't know how wise it is to just risk going out there and finding work whilst i'm there, though? Funds are pretty tight as it is and i'd be terrified that i'd be landed there with no income for a considerable amount of time before I found something. I have noticed a lot of workplaces already want you to be situated in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Madjawa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    A number of Tokyo JETs posted their stories here - IIRC (I'm too lazy to use search to find their posts) most of them were matched with a real estate company (selected by gov't red tape) to find them apartments and then given fairly standard living stipends (like most other employees relocating for work.)
    Thanks for that info. I'll have a look around the forum to see what other information there is.

Quote Originally Posted by soph3 View Post
    Haha! Sorry to disappoint! Hmm, let me try...
    I deserve the best. I wish to be placed in Tokyo and have accommodation provided for me in Azabu. I expect to be fed the finest tempura shrimp on demand by servants allocated to me by JET and I will use wild Totoro as a footstool. If this doesn't happen, i'll kick up a fuss.
    Better?
    Yes, but too late. It's now thursday night and I'm drinking.
    Sigh. It's just been hard on a bitter old expat lately, you know? You young people with your tweet tweets, reddits, and 顔本. We just don't get as much crazies as we used to.