Thread: US Applications - Megathread

Default US Applications - Megathread

This is the thread for pretty much anything relating to US applications - questions, discussions, asking for people to review their SOP etc.

From the JET Program Facebook:

The 2017 JET Program Application is now open!
    The application portal for U.S. citizens is available for applicants to create an account and begin the application process. The deadline is November 18th, 2016.
    You can find the application portal at:
    www.jetapplication.com
    Here are some helpful hints from the JET Program Office as you begin the application process:
    Carefully Read the Application Guidelines and All Instructions
    Applicants are required read the Guidelines before applying and are responsible for adhering to information provided. The instructions provided are clear and straightforward and detailed FAQs are available to help you correctly complete the application. Make use of these resources!
    Submit Required Documents
    The JET Application has many documents including an application form, transcripts, letters of recommendation, medical forms, and more! It will be important to follow instructions in the online application portal in order to submit a complete application packet. Incomplete applications are not eligible for consideration.
    The Statement of Purpose
    This essay is your opportunity to showcase yourself! Think about your reasons for wanting to go to Japan on the JET Program, what skills/experience you would bring to Japan, and how participating on the JET Program will help you pursue your own future goals. Write carefully and express yourself well!
    Do Not Procrastinate!
    If you wait until the deadline to submit your application, you may rush and overlook something important. The online application must be submitted and application materials must be post-marked by the deadline. Materials which do not meet the deadline will not be accepted, which may disqualify you from consideration.
    Last edited by Frap; September 29th, 2016 at 08:30.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    I really hope Japan doesn't turn me into this.

Default Re: US Applications - Megathread

So is this the thread where all us hopefuls gather?

This is the thread for pretty much anything relating to US applications - questions, discussions, asking for people to review their SOP etc. UK and other countries' processes (like Canada) are slightly different, so they usually get a different thread.

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    This is the thread for pretty much anything relating to US applications - questions, discussions, asking for people to review their SOP etc. UK and other countries' processes (like Canada) are slightly different, so they usually get a different thread.
    <3
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    It could happen. 1/100.

Awesome, I have a quick question, when filling out the university forms, I'm assuming they want the GPAs converted to the American system? (took a year in Japan, so kind of working out how S's and E's work)

Quote Originally Posted by Madjawa View Post
    Awesome, I have a quick question, when filling out the university forms, I'm assuming they want the GPAs converted to the American system? (took a year in Japan, so kind of working out how S's and E's work)
    When I did my JET application a long, long time ago, I remember study abroad grades being entered separately from regular grades, and I didn't have to convert anything. Could you be more specific about what you're asking, or maybe someone who has done the application more recently can answer you more clearly.

So is this the thread where all us hopefuls gather?
    Like weebstew said, it's for US applicants to gather. But if you'd like there to be a thread for all hopefuls to mingle, feel free to create one.

Quote Originally Posted by Isola View Post
    When I did my JET application a long, long time ago, I remember study abroad grades being entered separately from regular grades, and I didn't have to convert anything. Could you be more specific about what you're asking, or maybe someone who has done the application more recently can answer you more clearly.
    Yeah, I recall looking over past year's applications and seeing something similar, this time on the portal it has it all on one page under the following.

Post-Secondary Institutions Attended (University/College)
    You must also include a GPA with each institution listed, even if it is not calculated on your transcripts (consult your institution if you are unsure how to calculate your GPA). If you have attended more than five institutions, please list the five highest, most recent or most relevent.

There's no specific mention of study abroad, so for the time being I just converted my grades into the US GPA system and used that (counting S's as A's, E's as F's, etc.)

Yeah, I recall looking over past year's applications and seeing something similar, this time on the portal it has it all on one page under the following.

Post-Secondary Institutions Attended (University/College)
    You must also include a GPA with each institution listed, even if it is not calculated on your transcripts (consult your institution if you are unsure how to calculate your GPA). If you have attended more than five institutions, please list the five highest, most recent or most relevent.

There's no specific mention of study abroad, so for the time being I just converted my grades into the US GPA system and used that (counting S's as A's, E's as F's, etc.)
    I can't look at the application, so from what you're saying, I think you've done the best you can. It's worth shooting an email to your consulate if you're worried about it. To me, I would think that there would be some kind of study abroad section listed separately somewhere on the application.