Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Hopefuls/applicants self-intro thread

Default Re: 2017 Hopefuls/applicants self-intro thread

Quote Originally Posted by cm2jr4 View Post
    Hi all, I'm cm2jr4. I did JET in 2009-2011, and decided to apply for CIR this year just to try to give myself some more options.
    Huh.
    車庫 B1F

Hey, I'm Tamama. I'm a Linguistics major applying for the CIR position. First learned about JET when I was an exchange student in high school down near Kumamoto and had the... interesting experience of being 'taught' English by an ALT. Hobbies include video games, writing, fan translation projects, and being a general nerd about linguistics especially in the realm of semantics and discourse analysis.

Hi, everyone! I recently graduated with my BA in Anthropology and Japanese, and I'm currently taking informal Japanese classes and doing some part-time work. I really enjoy video games and I want to localize them someday (adventure, story, visual novel, experimental/indie, puzzle, rpg, and more...buuuuut I'm not into competitive/multiplayer at all, save for occasional sessions with friends). I also like board & tabletop gaming, cartoons, manga, cooking, beading, animals, and bugs. ✌

Sounds like a future JET to me.

He's definitely single, that's all I can tell.
    Last edited by mrcharisma; November 18th, 2016 at 05:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Is he ready to bingo?
    I had to google what that meant and now I'm getting 'nam flashbacks because I saw a picture of Super Junior o.o

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Is he ready to bingo?
    Bingo sounds good. A 3x3 board to start with. Cross one off each time an incomer mentions or alludes to one of the following:

- manga!
    - randomness!
    - traditional Japanese hobbies!
    - JLPT ambitions!
    - underlying emotional damage!
    - cards against humanity!
    - cosplay!
    - unrealistic job expectations!
    - what do I bring the janitor as omiyage?!

Bonus points if they pepper their post with poorly-translated kanji / kana.

Real talk, how do I become a school janitor in Japan? That is my life goal but people just laugh when I say that ;_;.

Drop out of high school.

apply to a local BOE when they are advertising for a janitor. its not the most coveted of positions.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Will do. Should I mention my Masters in the Custodial Arts? Worried about being labeled as overqualified.

Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    Will do. Should I mention my Masters in the Custodial Arts? Worried about being labeled as overqualified.
    Of course not, they want you as inexperienced as possible so they can "train you the right way."

By some miracle I managed to get my application in before the UK deadline (sent guaranteed next day delivery the day beforehand...). It was annoying because the reason was I was hospitalised with a tropical diseases after returning from a summer in India and had to get my doctors to verify I am now fit and well. If it wasn't for that, I wouldve had no issues! I can't wait to hear back to the point where I'm dreaming about getting an interview invite.. If I don't get in, my back up plan is China. What about anybody else? Also I put no preference for the regional preferences ... I don't know if they'd see that as good or bad !

Tropical Disease? Sounds like you got a case of the fabled Delhi-belly haha. I used to teach in China and it was a great and unique experience let me know if all fails and I can give you some advice.... however, hopefully see you in the interview hall in London! haha - unless you're one of those Scottish applicants?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Tropical Disease? Sounds like you got a case of the fabled Delhi-belly haha. I used to teach in China and it was a great and unique experience let me know if all fails and I can give you some advice.... however, hopefully see you in the interview hall in London! haha - unless you're one of those Scottish applicants?
    Haha, it wasn't Delhi Belly it was an actual tropical disease, dengue fever. I was in intensive care for a week! Awesome, id love to hear about China! I don't know which my heart is set on yet, both look like fantastic countries. And no, I'm not a Scott , I live in Essex! So hopefully see you at the interviews ! Really hope I hear back soon....

Or Northern English, some of them get sent up to Edinburgh.

Couple of years ago I interviewed a little cracker of a Geordie fresh out of uni in Edinburgh. Got to know her pretty well!

raunch
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    It could happen. 1/100.

Quote Originally Posted by hopefulltraveller View Post
    Haha, it wasn't Delhi Belly it was an actual tropical disease, dengue fever. I was in intensive care for a week! Awesome, id love to hear about China! I don't know which my heart is set on yet, both look like fantastic countries. And no, I'm not a Scott , I live in Essex! So hopefully see you at the interviews ! Really hope I hear back soon....
    Essex, nice I am a Sussex lad myself. But ouch on the Denque that stuff is bad! I've been lucky not to get it considering I have spent a lot of time in SE Asia and Mosquitos love my blood. Yea, this waiting is gonna kill me too as I really want in on JET as should be a sweet new adventure and a great way to experience Japanese culture. Kinda putting all my eggs into the JET basket.....only like what 2 more agonising months of waiting now?

Drop me a PM with your Facebook. Will be able to tell you all about China there...as don't want to bore people about China adventures on a Japan forum. Also, I spent a year teaching in Thailand, if Thailand interests you at all too?

Hopefully, both of us will get an interview and then maybe see you in the Embassy whilst waiting, however I think the odds for that would be crazy!
    Last edited by Monty; December 1st, 2016 at 11:32.