Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Hopefuls/applicants self-intro thread

Default Re: 2017 Hopefuls/applicants self-intro thread

Hello fellow JET hopefuls,

I'm also late to the party but I thought I would still introduce myself. I'm a Canadian currently working at a private English academy in South Korea and I've been here for 2.5 years. I graduated in 2010 with a BSc in Biology and then worked as an assistant manager at a gym for 4 years. I have my TEFL certificate and I am the head foreign teacher at my current job. My hobbies include watching a copious amount of anime, reading manga, working out, travelling, and hiking. I've travelled to Japan three times. My amazing experiences there encouraged me to make the jump from my current job.

I was wondering if anyone else is applying from abroad like I am. My director is a little frustrated as I can't tell her when I need my vacation because I won't find out about my interview until the end of January and the interview will take place sometime in the beginning of February. Also, buying my ticket to Canada will be quite pricey given that I'm purchasing it last minute. Any thoughts? I don't think anything can be done but to wait it out. However, I would love to here other peoples perspective on the matter. Thanks!

Good luck with your applications everyone!

Heard of this happening before but never anyone who's found a way round it. The main issue is whether you think Jet is worth the $2000 or so you'll need to spend on flights to get to the interview. That's a big chunk of your salary and for no guarantees.

Don't give manga or anime anything more than the most cursory of mentions in the interview / statement.

K
    Quote Originally Posted by nikol View Post
    Hello fellow JET hopefuls,

I'm also late to the party but I thought I would still introduce myself. I'm a Canadian currently working at a private English academy in South Korea and I've been here for 2.5 years. I graduated in 2010 with a BSc in Biology and then worked as an assistant manager at a gym for 4 years. I have my TEFL certificate and I am the head foreign teacher at my current job. My hobbies include watching a copious amount of anime, reading manga, working out, travelling, and hiking. I've travelled to Japan three times. My amazing experiences there encouraged me to make the jump from my current job.

I was wondering if anyone else is applying from abroad like I am. My director is a little frustrated as I can't tell her when I need my vacation because I won't find out about my interview until the end of January and the interview will take place sometime in the beginning of February. Also, buying my ticket to Canada will be quite pricey given that I'm purchasing it last minute. Any thoughts? I don't think anything can be done but to wait it out. However, I would love to here other peoples perspective on the matter. Thanks!

Good luck with your applications everyone!
    Hey nikol, I actually applied abroad too. It's a chore as the application pack itself is hard enough to compile and then also 10x harder when doing it abroad. For example, one of my references from when I taught in China, now lives in Colombia, so had to get her to post it to Sydney (where I was living at the time) and also I had to get transcripts from my University in the UK and get them to post to Sydney, only for me to post back again with the JET application.

Not only is obtaining the documents harder abroad, but also you have to plan and risk a lot.....

For the flight back to the UK for the interview. I booked that back in July 2016 to fly back 20th December 2016 (I arrived back yesterday and its cold and I only have summer based cloths at the moment!) on the hope I would get offered an interview (which I have!), but even if I did not get offered an interview, I need to renew my passport anyway, so that would have been my back up reason for coming back to the UK if not worked out with JET.

But your situation is a tricky one, as you're currently working. For me I knew I was going to be applying for JET this year, so I finished an Australian working holiday visa in November and just been chilling/travelling cheap South East Asia for the past 6 weeks after leaving Australia (also went to China for 2 weeks to get a PCC, which I will get to further down this post). I have kind of put all my eggs in the JET basket for now, which is risky, but hopefully worth it.

My recommendation to you is make sure JET is what you want (as you seem in a good position in South Korea). if JET is what you then apply, continue to work, if you get offered the interview book a flight then try maybe use holiday but understandable about the uncertainties, and your manager frustrations but at least you should know up to 14 days before interview I think? do you know when Canada will send out notifications? but also another bit of advice! look into sorting a Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) from South Korea! if accepted onto the JET Programme, you will need a CRB check or PCC from any country that you have lived in for over 12 consecutive months in the past 5 years, for the Japanese visa (That is what it is like for UK JETs anyway). I wish I knew about it when I used to live in China as getting it after leaving the country was a ball ache, I had to go back to China mid November to get one, whilst I was in the Australia/Asia time zones and luckily found cheap flights, I did this once again on the hope that I get accepted because now I am back in the UK and flying to China will cost a lot more IF I get shortlisted around April.....just for a piece of paper that says I committed no crimes in China! so I recommend looking into getting one now'ish.....
    Last edited by Monty; December 22nd, 2016 at 04:16.

Congrats on the interview, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    My recommendation to you is make sure JET is what you want (as you seem in a good position in South Korea).
    This is really important and struck me as I was reading your post, nickel. Your job as a JET would be a step down, or maybe even two or three steps down. JET will pay less, and you'll be in a position with a lot less say over anything than the job you have now. If you carefully consider all that and you want to anyway, then cool. But Korea is pretty damn close to Japan. I think I would just stay in Korea and visit Japan a few times a year if I were in your shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Congrats on the interview, good luck.
    Thank you very much mothy! I got the E-mail on the 14th December and it was like Christmas had come early, as making it passed round 1 I feel is achievement itself. Would be nice to hear if any other UK applicants received their E-mails....

Wow I am super late getting in here.

Basically:
    Australian, 22, female, Graduated a duel degree with a Bachelor of Arts (Japanese and Linguistics) and Bachelor of Secondary Education. Homestayed in Minokamo, Gifu for 3 months after high school and heard about JET 8 years ago from a mentor who lived there for 13 years as an English teacher (not with JET). Just got the letter informing I've got an interview a few days ago and didn't want to join into discussions until I at least got this far.

That's it basically. Good luck hopefuls.

Good luck with your interview. The only advice that seems true no matter what country you interview from is bring the positive energy.

I studied international business management and currently do service work at a nonprofit that helps refugees--to be as vague as possible. I've wanted to do the JET Program for a while and think it will be a good international working experience I can add to my resume and use to network. Granted, I need to make it in first.

Nice to meet you all.

Hello! I'll be joining the "better late than never" crew with my intro I suppose.

I'm 22, from the US, and graduating with my first degree after this semester! I studied abroad in Japan for one year and and am hopeful to return with my husband. JET seemed like a good goal to make when I heard about it in high school, and I'm happy to finally have the chance to apply. Currently, I'm still waiting to hear if I have received an interview or not. Good luck to everyone and nice to meet you!

omg

i'll try and give everybody who got an interview their award but if i forget someone pls tell me
    It could happen. 1/100.

Can I have a cookie instead?

Hi all, I'm a 21-year-old graduating senior studying journalism and political science at Indiana University. I decided to wait to join the discussion until I recieved an interview, and I just got the email today! I took four semesters of Japanese, but I have gotten rusty in the past six months. I guess it's time to use this month leading up to my interview to brush up on my skills. I've also never been outside of the continental U.S., so I hope the panel considers me worthy of an ALT position.

P.S. I thought message boards were dead and I'm so excited to have found an active one about something I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Scarf View Post
    Can I have a cookie instead?

Hi all, I'm a 21-year-old graduating senior studying journalism and political science at Indiana University. I decided to wait to join the discussion until I recieved an interview, and I just got the email today! I took four semesters of Japanese, but I have gotten rusty in the past six months. I guess it's time to use this month leading up to my interview to brush up on my skills. I've also never been outside of the continental U.S., so I hope the panel considers me worthy of an ALT position.

P.S. I thought message boards were dead and I'm so excited to have found an active one about something I enjoy.
    welcome, fellow lurker.
    Rumor has it there are even people who still use IRC out there. I think message boards will last a few more winters at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Scarf View Post
    An "active" one.

Tumblr

this went wrong sorry
    It could happen. 1/100.

Hi all!

My name is Presilla and I just received the email about an interview! I don't want to get my hopes up, but I'll take this as a small victory if it doesn't end well. I haven't read or know of anyone else in the same boat as me, but I'm currently finishing up at graduate school now, getting my Masters in TESOL. Besides teaching, I love playing the guitar, singing and writing, so I'm ready for a jam sesh if anyone's down! Good luck to everyone waiting/re-applying/got it!

I am veeeery late to this, but I've been lurking on the site for a few hours and decided to join.

21 year old from the UK, currently studying animation in my 2nd year at Staffs Uni. I'm in the process of listing what paperwork I need to submit for October, but I had a really good think about why I actually want to do this, but I feel like I can bring back some awesome cultural knowledge and history (it's a pastime hobby, including other things) whilst bringing whatever the heck is great about the UK to Japan. I always felt the UK doesn't pay much attention to Japan that much in terms of history and our cultural ties which we had in the past. Hobbies include writing prose, reading (currently on my 4th murakami novel), drawing/working on stories and concepts for little animated films/comics (I know this sounds bad already) learning about history and gathering information on historic sites, exercise, going to coffee shops (I love love love coffee culture, i worked as a barista for a couple of years and loved every minute of it), cooking (i'd love to have my own garden for fruits/veggies), collecting art pieces that catch my attention, printmaking/screenprinting. I used to do karate from the age of 6 but quit once I got to college to focus on uni, that really shaped me as a person and the main reason why I'm even interested in Japan.

This is really long winded, apologies, but I always think it's best to not overthink and stress on certain things when applying for the programme but I like the journey of it, and what I can give to others. Hopefully I remind myself to not be a lurker because it's comfortable to observe rather than reach out, otherwise nice to meet you all!

Too... Much... Positivity... Must... Look... Away...

Too... Much... Positivity... Must... Look... Away...
    Wow that was a close one.

Quote Originally Posted by nutelladonatella View Post
    I am veeeery late to this, but I've been lurking on the site for a few hours and decided to join.

21 year old from the UK, currently studying animation in my 2nd year at Staffs Uni. I'm in the process of listing what paperwork I need to submit for October, but I had a really good think about why I actually want to do this, but I feel like I can bring back some awesome cultural knowledge and history (it's a pastime hobby, including other things) whilst bringing whatever the heck is great about the UK to Japan. I always felt the UK doesn't pay much attention to Japan that much in terms of history and our cultural ties which we had in the past. Hobbies include writing prose, reading (currently on my 4th murakami novel), drawing/working on stories and concepts for little animated films/comics (I know this sounds bad already) learning about history and gathering information on historic sites, exercise, going to coffee shops (I love love love coffee culture, i worked as a barista for a couple of years and loved every minute of it), cooking (i'd love to have my own garden for fruits/veggies), collecting art pieces that catch my attention, printmaking/screenprinting. I used to do karate from the age of 6 but quit once I got to college to focus on uni, that really shaped me as a person and the main reason why I'm even interested in Japan.

This is really long winded, apologies, but I always think it's best to not overthink and stress on certain things when applying for the programme but I like the journey of it, and what I can give to others. Hopefully I remind myself to not be a lurker because it's comfortable to observe rather than reach out, otherwise nice to meet you all!
    How many double espressos have you had today?

Quote Originally Posted by nutelladonatella View Post

Welcome to the forum! It's good you'll be still at Uni during your application process. The waiting part of it is the worst, so you'll appreciate the distraction.

Also, are you a girl or a gay guy?
    It could happen. 1/100.