Thread: Reference Letter Advice

Default Reference Letter Advice

Greetings. I'm applying for the JET Program from the US this year and am seeking advice on my reference letter choices. I feel okay about the "Why Japan?/Why Jet?" component of my application. I feel pretty good about how I portrayed my general adaptability to be successful on the program and my experience of the US to be a good cultural ambassador. But I've got no dang teaching experience. I tried to emphasize some experiences with children in my essay and to communicate my excitement about the possibility, but I simply don't have much experience. I did tutor a class during my senior year of high school though, and I've kept in contact with the teacher whose class I tutored in. Would that be a good reference letter to have to beef up the teaching component of my application, or should I embrace my inexperience?/is a reference letter from way back in high school more harmful than helpful?

Default Re: Reference Letter Advice

I'd say you want something newer, but it's not the worst reference I've heard of.
    Remember, JET doesn't require teaching experience, and really it seems like only a moderate benefit to applicants to have experience in teaching. Most JETs I've known had no or very little experience.
    So my advice is just go for the references that can speak to your current abilities best.

Hey, instead of me starting another thread.. It's totally cool for my to use an academic reference although I graduated in May, right? I had a professor offer to write me a letter and I don't exactly have too many professional peeps to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by jaejoa View Post
    Hey, instead of me starting another thread.. It's totally cool for my to use an academic reference although I graduated in May, right? I had a professor offer to write me a letter and I don't exactly have too many professional peeps to ask.
    I applied in 2015 and one of my references was written by a lecturer from my undergraduate degree... in 2012

you'll be fine
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    It could happen. 1/100.