Thread: That "Proposed Direction of Career" Question on Application

Default That "Proposed Direction of Career" Question on Application

Hey yall,

It's application time - yay!- and many of us are probably going through the online applications to see what all we'll need do before Nov 18th (I think that's the last day). Most of the application is easy but there's this one little thing in the Education section I've got a question about.

For the US applicants in the Proposed Direction of Career box it states in 560 characters or less you need to tie in how JET will benefit your future career plans. Is this 560 characters with or without spaces?

I've lurked to find out the answer but to no avail.

Thanks

Default Re: That "Proposed Direction of Career" Question on Application

I'm struggling with the content for this one. I'm kind of hoping and expecting that JET would open new doors and reveal new passions. It's not a super clear stepping stone in a career path for me. Any advice on phrasing the open-endedness of it as a good thing?

Quote Originally Posted by injektilo View Post
    I'm struggling with the content for this one. I'm kind of hoping and expecting that JET would open new doors and reveal new passions. It's not a super clear stepping stone in a career path for me. Any advice on phrasing the open-endedness of it as a good thing?
    Unless you want to be a teacher the only doors it opens will be to alcoholism or the dole queue upon your return. It's usefulness for "international relations" and the like is minimal.

Yeah, JET is a bump in the road on your career path. I'm guessing this portion of the application is just to discover which applicants have enough control over their language that they can spit some world-class bs.

Somebody on ITIL (or possibly BD?) once said something that really stuck with me: JET doesn't want people who're going to stay in Japan; it wants people who are going to go back home. They posited that JET is like a PR push for Japan, Inc, and that the whole purpose is to get some uni-educated young folks in the country, pay 'em enough to d*ck around and have fun, fall in love with the country, etc, then go back home and constantly talk up Japan in whatever career field they might happen to choose--ideally, something that might benefit Japan in the long haul.

I wish I could remember who this was, 'cause it was awesome advice, and I still think it helped me get in.

If you really wanna get in, I'd advise you to structure your response to this question with their goals in mind, rather than yours. What will you do, in the future, that's going to justify Japan's investment in you? (Hint: if the answer is "Drown in J-v-jj for a year or two, settle down with Inaka Kumi and father a couple of haffu, ultimately becoming a bitter, alcoholic lifer," and you really, really, really wanna get in... lie.)
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

I don't know. Telling them you hope to up Japan's birthrate significantly might win some over.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Somebody on ITIL (or possibly BD?) once said something that really stuck with me: JET doesn't want people who're going to stay in Japan; it wants people who are going to go back home. They posited that JET is like a PR push for Japan, Inc, and that the whole purpose is to get some uni-educated young folks in the country, pay 'em enough to d*ck around and have fun, fall in love with the country, etc, then go back home and constantly talk up Japan in whatever career field they might happen to choose--ideally, something that might benefit Japan in the long haul.

I wish I could remember who this was, 'cause it was awesome advice, and I still think it helped me get in.

If you really wanna get in, I'd advise you to structure your response to this question with their goals in mind, rather than yours. What will you do, in the future, that's going to justify Japan's investment in you? (Hint: if the answer is "Drown in J-v-jj for a year or two, settle down with Inaka Kumi and father a couple of haffu, ultimately becoming a bitter, alcoholic lifer," and you really, really, really wanna get in... lie.)
    https://youtu.be/CSvFpBOe8eY
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

If they want foreigners to gush about how wonderful Japan is they'd be better off not bringing people here and shattering their illusions.

If you're not quite sure what you'll be doing after your time in Japan, just imagine your ideal career involving your major and describe how JET would be an asset in making that happen.

To answer your earlier question: I don't think it counts spaces, but I'm sure it will let you know if you've typed too much. The less you can overthink the better in this process.
    Last edited by Verbatim; October 8th, 2016 at 19:12.

Haha man, everyone here is shockingly down on JET for this being a forum about JET. Say something nice, make me feel better about this whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by injektilo View Post
    Haha man, everyone here is shockingly down on JET for this being a forum about JET. Say something nice, make me feel better about this whole thing.
    It's great fun and a great experience to look back on. However for most career paths outside teaching it's poison on your CV.m

Oh, dude, that's just our own jadedness and LOLsnark coming through. This site will give you the best advice you'll get anywhere, but you hafta sorta mentally filter out jaded and snarky bits--they're just for fun, usually, anyway. Once you do, you'll realize that most folks here love Japan. Everyone I know who did JET pretty much loved their experience, and MG and I in particular have had a complete blast--it's a fantastic opportunity for personal development, travel, cultural exchange, academic development, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Just what I needed to hear! I think the snarky perspective is good for me since I'm still in the romantic bliss of only having imagined what it would be like and not actually experienced it haha. But I'm glad to get the reassurance that the overall sentiment is still positive.

Yeah man, I mean this has been the best job I've ever had- but I didn't go in with much of any expectations. The people who think they know "all about Japan" or have these idealized perceptions are the ones who get crushed the worst. Just had a guy here run off and catch a plane without telling anyone for that same reason.

If you're the kind of person who can go with the flow and be content with what you got, I think you're gonna love it.