Thread: JET not the only way to get to Japan...?

Default JET not the only way to get to Japan...?

First off, I'm sorry if this thread is being posted in the wrong category/forum... I've seen the statement in the subject posted most often in this forum which is why i placed it here (mods, feel free to move it if you need to).

I am interested in going to work in Japan. I know that I missed the last round of JET applications/interviews, but I am not necessarily only interested in going over to teach english (though JET would be my first choice for doing so).

My question is this: What other ways/methods are there to secure work for 6 mos/1 year? I have a (so far unused) degree in chemical engineering and I speak a little japanese (2+ years of classes in college). I also speak fluent spanish and a smidge of mandarin (1 year in college).
    A major part of the reason I would like to spend time working in Japan is that I would like to improve my japanese... also not being broke and starting to pay off my school loans would be nice, too.

To those who may be wondering... I have thus far been unable to secure work as a chemical engineer. I am at a loss to explain why. My graduation in 2001 during the economic downturn was probably a factor, but the fact remains that i'm either overeducated and/or underemployed.

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

-kevin

It is in the wrong section, but never mind, it'll be moved soon.

Have a look at the following sites: www.tefl.com and www.eslcafe.com

They both have EFL job listings, and there are plenty of jobs in Japan. Major language schools in Japan are Nova, Aeon, Geos and Berlitz. They all get mixed reviews so do some research on the web first.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

maybe if you spent more time studying chemical engineering and less time on asian languages you might have been able to find a job in america?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

What are you suggesting? I took all of the same classes that all of the other ChemE's took. I didn't make dean's list or anything, if that is what you mean, but niether did most of those other folks. I'd say a good half of them had the same/similar problems (lost track of most of them now)

Not trying to be combative, but your comment makes me wonder if you legitimately have any idea of what you're talking about.

Tarzan - Ini knows nothing about anything, but is quite happy to voice an opinion on everything. In short, ignore him.

Have you thought about all the NOVA, GEOS english teaching companies? They offer year long contracts I think. Also, one thing that I was thinking of applying to as a back-up to JET was a student scheme called AISEC. I'm not sure if you need to be a student or not, but they offer work abroad type schemes. I think they last less than a year...

Nishiazai-cho, Shiga-ken ---> California, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    Tarzan - Ini knows nothing about anything, but is quite happy to voice an opinion on everything. In short, ignore him.

Have you thought about all the NOVA, GEOS english teaching companies? They offer year long contracts I think. Also, one thing that I was thinking of applying to as a back-up to JET was a student scheme called AISEC. I'm not sure if you need to be a student or not, but they offer work abroad type schemes. I think they last less than a year...
    Ill second Bobos NOVA or GEOS suggestion i was looking into the same places but also check out AEON they have the best reputation out of the Eikawas or so ive heard...
    You got the BFG 9000...Oh yes!!

Tarzan you're not the only one in this boat. I have a bachelors degree in electronics, networking and information systems with over 15 years experience. I ended up working in a Technical Call Center where I talk to the living dead on how to connect their computers to the internet. If given the opportunity I'd leave and go anywhere in a heartbeat. So hang in there something good will happen and you'll find something. You'd be surprised what a google search turns up on jobs.
    Profanity: The last refuge of the limited intellect.

good advice, you can trust tom because he is a traveler AND a collector of legends
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Interac offers a similar deal to JET (assistant teacher in a junior high school) but for less money. I've heard good things about them, though, so you may want to do a search for them (probably www.interac.co.jp).

And yeah, don't mind Ini; he's like our resident guard dog. He hates everyone (except He-Man).
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Quote Originally Posted by TarzanMan
    Not trying to be combative
    those be fighting words, lets get oiled up and wrestle.

Hey, you said you weren't gonna do that shit again!

I cant help it, its what I was born to do