Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving On~

Default Re: Moving On~

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    My first job in Japan was with JET but I had passed through a few times before on my magical mystery world tour. At the moment I split my time between researching if video conferencing is the future of ALT-ing and building lego mindstorms with a bunch of kids with aspergers
    Wait, are you to blame for the cancer that they're currently testing in Saga? With the Filipino skype lessons?

Professional Fun Killer hypatia's Avatar

My supervisor at the BOE already asked me if I was planning on staying another year for budget purposes, but I haven't gotten any official paperwork yet. It's looking like I'll do another year just because other life plans fell through and I need that extra year to figure things the fuck out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    If you're expecting standards, you're in the wrong place.
    Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    The key to ALT work is to have 0 expectations and a terrible work ethic

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    Wait, are you to blame for the cancer that they're currently testing in Saga? With the Filipino skype lessons?
    No, but everyone is looking into it at the moment. Its part of the panic surrounding the ES English expansion. Skype and filipinos sounds a bit ghetto. Saying that we are using some over priced proprietary conferencing software with a bunch of Australians and its a massive disaster so I cant imagine a bunch of snack bar girls on skype being much worse.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Saying that we are using some over priced proprietary conferencing software with a bunch of Australians and its a massive disaster so I cant imagine a bunch of snack bar girls on skype being much worse.
    So you're saying they're going to roll it out nationwide.

imagine the americans' reactions when they find out they're being replaced by a projector
    It could happen. 1/100.

Formerly the Hot One OatsCurrySummer's Avatar

Honestly, I wouldn't mind being one of the last generations of the program. As much as I'm enjoying the ride on this gravy train, I'd much rather see the money get reinvested back into the education system to hire actual TESOL-holding professionals. I live with the constant guilt that I'm a monumental waste of money and my annual salary could send seven more kids to Seattle for homestay programs.
    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Frap View Post
    imagine the americans' reactions when they find out they're being replaced by a projector

Why only americans? Are you turning into jiggle now?
    Last edited by mothy; October 19th, 2016 at 08:18.

Quote Originally Posted by OatsCurrySummer View Post
    Honestly, I wouldn't mind being one of the last generations of the program. As much as I'm enjoying the ride on this gravy train, I'd much rather see the money get reinvested back into the education system to hire actual TESOL-holding professionals. I live with the constant guilt that I'm a monumental waste of money and my annual salary could send seven more kids to Seattle for homestay programs.
    glad i have no moral scruples

No, but everyone is looking into it at the moment. Its part of the panic surrounding the ES English expansion. Skype and filipinos sounds a bit ghetto. Saying that we are using some over priced proprietary conferencing software with a bunch of Australians and its a massive disaster so I cant imagine a bunch of snack bar girls on skype being much worse.
    I'm not testing the curriculum, it's in another town, but basically the lesson goes like this: The people selling the program hand the HRT/ALT a list of 40 words and basic sentences 10 minutes before class. The class has 20 minutes to learn the words. Then they open up skype and call the Philippines where teachers with vastly different accents from the ALT shout at the kids "YOU KNOW THIS YOU KNOW THIS!" for the second half of class while they're meant to practice dialogues.

So to call it a train wreck is a bit of an understatement.

Why only americans? Are you turning into jiggle now?
    haha im not implying other nationalities wouldnt react in whatever way

but the americans would be the most loud and fun to watch
    It could happen. 1/100.

american jets are pretty bad tbh

I'M THE BEST WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT NO ONE CAN REPLACE ME WITH A COMPUTER!

*remembers the textbook software*

Hmm...

Anyway, I'm staying another year at least. Hopefully I can get my n2 done after so long, and maybe see where the teaching license thing goes. Bof wants to not teach for the rest of his life, and makes references to how nice HK would be to live/work in, so we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    jets are pretty bad tbh
    I know.

So apparently if I stay another year I get to choose if I become strictly an ES or JHS ALT at the start of the 2018 school year. Need to see which one offers the best desk/chair and snack/drinks combination.

omg if I could be just ES I'd probably never leave.
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

eh my elementary schools have a few too many feral kids to make it an easy choice.

There are a lot of jobs out there teaching babbies if that's what you want to do instead of making your own.

Yeah, mini-mothy's nursery employs three dirty foreigners to make sure the squirts can hanashi the english.