Thread: Who should I ask to write my reference letter?

Default Who should I ask to write my reference letter?

I already have 1 good reference letter in the works from my boss at a tutoring center I've been working at for nearly a year. The second one though, I'm uncertain about. I graduated from college 5 years ago, and while I did have good relationships with my Dept. Head and a few other profs, I haven't kept in touch with them. One of them could be willing to write it, but it might be too big of a time gap. Unfortunately, the last job I had for a year and a half ended on bad terms and while my my boss at my current job is impressed with me, I've only been working there for about 6 weeks. I could ask him to fudge the times a bit. Lastly, is a guy I worked for free-lance designing his educational website. He was a retired professor coincidentally. Me and a friend would go to his house with our laptops and code for 3-4 hours a few times a week, but nothing formal and I was paid by cash in hand.

So, who do you think my best choice is?

thanks!

Default Re: Who should I ask to write my reference letter?

I'd probably go with your old department head or your boss, depending on how good your job is. Like if it's a mcdonald's I wouldn't bother.

I'd avoid anything where it looks a bit like the person was grooming you, so maybe avoid the randy old former prof.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I'd probably go with your old department head or your boss, depending on how good your job is. Like if it's a mcdonald's I wouldn't bother.
    I'm a software engineer. I said a bit in SoP about enduring the stress of fast approaching deadlines and the importance of team communication. I think that's my best bet, but I was worried about the short time that I'd worked there.

Yeah, it's not perfect, but neither is a department head who probably at this point only vaguely remembers you.