Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aspiring Australian JETs 2017

Default Re: Aspiring Australian JETs 2017

I happened to stumble across this thread while doing some extra last-minute preparation for the upcoming Sydney interviews. Seeing as this seems to be the only active online community (other than the unofficial Facebook page), I decided to put it out there that Sydney results were released at beginning of January (sorry those who didn't make it) and wish everyone all the best in preparing for their last hurdle, the interview.

For those frantically trying to find advice for the interview, there's really only the same thing said time and time again online - look good, feel good, smile, and answer honestly. These are basic interview skills. They'll give you the easy marks. The rest is pretty much luck - what questions you will get and how you will respond. What I've been doing is simply re-reading over everything in my applications, reflecting on why I wrote that sentence and what a practical application would look like on JET, and knowing exactly what you want to say for each area of your application and Statement of Purpose. I'm not an aspiring teacher and my career prospects are in an entirely different industry, but I happen to be applying for JET because I want to collaborate with the Japanese counter-part in my industry and need to really understand how Japanese society reacts to certain Western world norms/devices we inherently place into all our products/businesses. This puts me at a disadvantage because it means I don't have any official teaching qualifications, but on the contrary it means I really have it grounded in for how I will respond to most questions the interview panel could throw at me. So for those who don't come from a teaching background of qualifications, think about how you can turn this disadvantage into a positive. I mean, that's what interviews are all about, how you can turn a bad situation into a good one. Sounds like JET work (teaching)!

Anyways, well for anyone in the Sydney interviews, see you there. If you happen to hear someone introduce themselves as Chris, maybe that's me. I'd love to chat in the lobby because that'll make me forget about the nervousness of an interview haha

Hey fellow Strayan's ^_^
    I'm just wondering if anyone has heard back from their respective consulates for April arrivals? The waiting game is killing me ay!

Sydney candidates, along with some other countries' candidates, were informed of their results yesterday for July arrivals. I will assume that you, and other April arrival candidates, would've heard back regarding early departure a week or two ago.
    I've been shortlisted and am dying to hear the results for placement. This really surprised me because I didn't expect to make it through after flopping an interview question entirely. Welp, here I am now dropping out of graduate program applications left, right and center. Hopefully the rest of you made it through too!
    See you lucky buggers at the orientation(s)

Congrats, or, depending on your future placement, condolences.

c0ngrats!
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    It could happen. 1/100.

Well, I guess even the worst placement beats the regret of not going on JET. Now I just hope I don't get dragged down by the regret of rejecting offers for my non-teaching career.
    Guess I'll make the most of my time on JET and try to apply for jobs when my contract is coming to an end (or at the 2nd year). Although Japanese companies seem to mostly give offers to graduating uni students...not graduates... also I'm slightly more proficient at Japanese than N3, but haven't gotten around to attempting N2 JLPT which most companies consider business-level. GG

Quote Originally Posted by CoalChris View Post
    Well, I guess even the worst placement beats the regret of not going on JET.
    Oh god, nope. I hope you aren't one of the unlucky few who find that out the hard way.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Oh god, nope. I hope you aren't one of the unlucky few who find that out the hard way.
    Ya, there have been some incredibly toxic reports in recent years thanks to BoEs and their inept policies. There are definitely times when not coming on JET is better than the alternative
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Shortlisted. Brisbane found out today. (y)