Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shortlisted but no passport! Help!

Default Shortlisted but no passport! Help!

Being a college student, I am rather tight on money so I decided to delay getting a passport until I found out if I was accepted to JET. Now I am shortlisted and the consulate requires a photocopy of my passport information by April 17. Even if I expedite the process and request overnight shipping, there’s still no guarantee that I will receive my passport before the deadline.
    What is my course of action for informing the consulate?
    Will the consulate accept a passport photocopy as long as the envelope is postmarked before the deadline?

Default Re: Shortlisted but no passport! Help!

Things to do: Contact the consulate/JET coordinator ASAP - they'll get thing sorted for you on the Japanese side, usually asking for proof you've got your passport application submitted. Get your passport application completed with the expedited option and overnight delivery (+$75.)

Every year someone does this. Passports don't cost that much, and now you have to stress and pay for expedited delivery. Just follow weebstar's advice and you should be fine.

But applicants of the future, passports are useful. Even if you don't get accepted they're useful. Just get your passport!

No need to worry! I was doing some reading in our notes and instruction page and found this: "If you do not currently hold a valid US passport, you should begin the process of obtaining one immediately. Please keep the JET Program Office informed of the status of your passport application and provide a photocopy as soon as possible."

Just contact your consulate and tell them what's going on Good luck!

How did you even apply and get into the consulate for the interview without a passport? In the UK we need a copy of the passport page for the application and the physical document to gain entry to the consulate for the interview.

Professional Fun Killer hypatia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    How did you even apply and get into the consulate for the interview without a passport? In the UK we need a copy of the passport page for the application and the physical document to gain entry to the consulate for the interview.
    'Murica
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    If you're expecting standards, you're in the wrong place.
    Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    The key to ALT work is to have 0 expectations and a terrible work ethic

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Less than 36% of Americans have a passport. So they're more lenient. In the UK that number is closer to 80%.

Formerly the Hot One OatsCurrySummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    Less than 36% of Americans have a passport. So they're more lenient. In the UK that number is closer to 80%.
    wtf, do people not travel outside of their own country? This explains so much about America tbh
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

Can americans still go to canada without a passport, or did that rule change?

I've always had to show my passport going in and out, whether it's by car, ferry or plane.
    Also, Canada doesn't count as broadening your horizons. It's just slightly better America.
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

I think you mean slightly worse. But where else are americans supposed to go? Mexico? *shudder* It's not like europe where you can take a daytrip to another 1st world country.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I think you mean slightly worse. But where else are americans supposed to go? Mexico? *shudder* It's not like europe where you can take a daytrip to another 1st world country.
    Perhaps many of America's problems could be helped if *gasp* they went to a country far different from their own?!

Quote Originally Posted by OatsCurrySummer View Post
    It's just slightly better America.
    Day of the rake when?

Quote Originally Posted by OatsCurrySummer View Post
    Perhaps many of America's problems could be helped if *gasp* they went to a country far different from their own?!
    Yes, getting mugged in mexico would really teach americans to like mexicans.

I think she means more people need to experience traditional mexican culture like donkey shows and mass decapitations.

Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    Day of the rake when?
    I stand by what I said.
    I'm both American and Canadian. The side of my family that I actually like all lives in America and even then I can say with confidence that I'd never want to live there.

Well that is understandable, some people can't handle living in the greatest country ever.

America has passport cards that allow us to go to surrounding countries (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean). They're cheaper, so I dunno, maybe more people have those.

Also, the first foreign country I went to was Japan, so, yeah we're not very well traveled..

For a lower middle-class guy in the northwest, the caribbean wasn't an option. Really only canada and mexico were options and I did one of those two. So I did about as well as can be expected in terms of world travelling.

Quote Originally Posted by moonbeam View Post
    America has passport cards that allow us to go to surrounding countries (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean). They're cheaper, so I dunno, maybe more people have those.

Also, the first foreign country I went to was Japan, so, yeah we're not very well traveled..
    You need to get a passport in order to get the card. It's an add-on.

The thing is, where are you going when you go abroad? If you you're not a Europhile or Japanophile, you can hit all the major tourist regions without traveling across national boundaries. Disney? Florida or California. Tropical vacation? Hawaii, Puerto Rico. New York, Washington, LA for all your "cultural needs" and there the Rockies if you need a major mountaineering/winter sports etc hit. If you want natural beauty, you've to national parks in every corner and nearly every possible style - desert, rainforest, mountains, etc. All without needing a passport and all in English speaking areas. No need for foreign language guides, no stress over booking stuff across language barriers etc.

Traveling abroad is also much more expensive. Given that Americans get no guaranteed annual leave, it's not only the several thousand dollars of airline tickets for a single person to go abroad, but also the missed work and consequences from that (You want to take a week off next month? Great, don't come back etc.) For the same price you could fly to two or three domestic tourist destinations and still have money left over. The 36% of Americans that have passports are the 36% that can theoretically afford to go abroad, even if it's only once every ten years. If you don't get one as a youth/young adult, there's no need to apply for one until you need it. The majority of Americans living paycheck to paycheck can use that $120 bucks to feed their family for a week or three instead of getting a passport that they'll never have an opportunity to use.