Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Hopefuls/applicants self-intro thread

Default 2017 Hopefuls/applicants self-intro thread

Good evening all,

Aside from the specific country-based threads for general QA, I thought it might be nice to have a general self-intro thread for us new, shiny, slightly-less-cynical JET hopefuls (and those re-applying!) for 2017.

Guess I'll start,

I'm madjawa, super-senior in college, fresh off a year studying abroad in Tokyo. Hobbies are making (and drinking) cocktails, gaming (tabletop and video), web design, and music.
    Nice to meetcha.

Default Re: 2017 Hopefuls/applicants self-intro thread

Yeah sure, why not?

I'm a recent university graduate hoping to someday escape the great Canadian wilderness. This year I was an alternate and because I had such a great experience as one thanks to my consulate I'm pretty stoked to be reapplying. Never been to Japan but have a lot of friends scattered across the country. My hobbies include volunteering, creative writing, listening to a lot of music, collecting stuff, watching dramas and reading. I want to move somewhere I can learn archery and dancing. I have a weird love for a lot of Japanese bands and hate J-pop.

Quote Originally Posted by Madjawa View Post
    Good evening all,

Aside from the specific country-based threads for general QA, I thought it might be nice to have a general self-intro thread for us new, shiny, slightly-less-cynical JET hopefuls (and those re-applying!) for 2017.

Guess I'll start,

I'm madjawa, super-senior in college, fresh off a year studying abroad in Tokyo. Hobbies are making (and drinking) cocktails, gaming (tabletop and video), web design, and music.
    Nice to meetcha.
    I am an almost Science graduate from SA.

I'm into gaming (mostly PS3 and 4).
    I like anime and manga.
    The games I'm into are fantasy based. Some of them Japanese.

Also enjoy reading/watching sci-fi and horror. I love j-horror and looking forward to any related events that may be held in Japan.

Also heavily into nature conservation and hope to go down that path after JET.
    Last edited by MayaMay; September 30th, 2016 at 18:54.

Hi all, I'm cm2jr4. I did JET in 2009-2011, and decided to apply for CIR this year just to try to give myself some more options.

Hello ITIL! It's been years.

I'm sort of a unique applicant. This is my fourth time applying (Never give up, never surrender!) and I think this year will be my best shot. I spent an entire semester substituting for a teacher on maternity leave who had ESL classes, and I also balanced teaching at a non-profit, whoo-hoo! The big thing is that I'm iffy on my references and I'm hoping to get as much feed back as possible. A big thing I'm nervous about is that after the school year let out, I moved to Los Angeles. IT's been great for exposure to Japanese culture but it means that I've been mostly temping until I got something reliable. Any way I can spin this as an "opportunity to broaden my horizons and experiences" ?

Things I love:

rabbits,
    studying (no really)
    cooking
    animation (I got my degree in animation)

Looking forward to hanging out on here again!

I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

Heya. I'm RPGDemaker, developer extraordinaire. I'm a relatively recent computer science graduate and am giving this whole JET thing another shot. I applied shortly after graduation but failed to make the cut. So I'm hoping to make it in for round two this time with more oomph.

I've been growing an interest in retro-computing but primarily i'm interested in indie development, modding and general niche games.

Quote Originally Posted by RPGDemaker View Post
    I've been growing an interest in retro-computing but primarily i'm interested in indie development, modding and general niche games.
    Some highly relevant skills for your ALT career there!

Only the worst kinds of JETs have interests relevant to JETing.

Quote Originally Posted by TweedPawn View Post
    Hello ITIL! It's been years.

I'm sort of a unique applicant. This is my fourth time applying (Never give up, never surrender!) and I think this year will be my best shot. I spent an entire semester substituting for a teacher on maternity leave who had ESL classes, and I also balanced teaching at a non-profit, whoo-hoo! The big thing is that I'm iffy on my references and I'm hoping to get as much feed back as possible. A big thing I'm nervous about is that after the school year let out, I moved to Los Angeles. IT's been great for exposure to Japanese culture but it means that I've been mostly temping until I got something reliable. Any way I can spin this as an "opportunity to broaden my horizons and experiences" ?
    I admire your persistence, but after failing three times I'd say there's something major that's affecting your chances and it's best finding out what that is and fixing it or accepting that you're not destined for JET.

Did you get feedback of any kind?
    Why do you want to do JET?
    Are you very bad at interviews? I mean how did the JET interviews go? Or did you not get that far?

Three times and failing doesn't sound good to me. "What's going to be different this year?", that's what you've got to ask yourself!

What does "iffy" on references mean? Does it mean you don't have good references?

Wow! Great that you have such a positive attitude, I hope you make it in this time around.

If I may ask, the previous times that you have applied, were you given an interview and were you made alternate or rejected?

Hello everyone
    I'm slightly late to the party, but I'd like to make a self-introduction nevertheless.

I’m hohoEMI, a Singaporean who’s about to finish a degree in communications. Hobbies include language learning, gaming (both tabletop and consoles), reading tons of books, and enjoying great music. I’m applying for a CIR position

Hi All,

Monty here, applying via the UK JET Programme, to start in 2017!

Graduated in 2010 (BSc Computer Science), worked in IT for 3 years in the UK but wanted a change in life. Ended up teaching English at schools in Thailand for a year (Secondary and Primary Students) and at a private school (owned by a certain famous mouse) in China for 15 months. Moved to Australia, November 2015 on a working holiday visa. Currently in Sydney, so had to post my application to London....sigh. Best of luck everyone :-)

Currently hold a TEFL/TESOL, TEFL-C (Advanced) and a CELTA

Hobbies include: Travelling, Scuba Diving, Martial Arts, Skiing, Gym'in, Running, Chilling

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Hobbies include: Travelling, Scuba Diving, Martial Arts, Skiing, Gym'in, Running, Chilling
    remember those

never have i been asked "what are your hobbies?" as much as my first few months in japAn

started to just make stuff up cause i didnt wanna sound boring
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    It could happen. 1/100.

Hi Team,

I'm Starkey - 30 year old Aussie applying for the first time. I'm an English teacher hoping to expand my skills into Japan and eventually an international school.
    I've travelled most of Europe and I'm keen into BBQ and brewing beer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Buddha Hulk View Post
    Hi Team,

I'm Starkey - 30 year old Aussie applying for the first time. I'm an English teacher hoping to expand my skills into Japan and eventually an international school.
    I've travelled most of Europe and I'm keen into BBQ and brewing beer.
    Sweet, where in Australia are you mate? I am currently in Sydney but fly to Cairns on the 29th of October to spend my final week in Australia up at the Great Barrier Reef. If you're about in Sydney at all this week.....fancy a beer?

Sweet, where in Australia are you mate? I am currently in Sydney but fly to Cairns on the 29th of October to spend my final week in Australia up at the Great Barrier Reef. If you're about in Sydney at all this week.....fancy a beer?
    Mate, I would love to but I'm down in Adelaide.
    Where are you off too after oz?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No probs mate... who knows maybe see you in Japan if we both get lucky! I too am a 30 year-old. Happy to share Facebook if you like?

I will try not make you too jealous with my current plans:
    29th October - 6th November: Cairns/Port Douglas (Scuba diving and running Great Barrier Reef Half Marathon)
    6th November - 12th November: Bali (Chilling)
    12th November - 14th November: Kuala Lumpur (Travel Hub)
    15th November - 27th November: China (I need to go back to try get a Police Clearance Certificate from when I worked there, as I will need it should I get accepted to JET. But also catch up with some friends)
    27th November - 17th December: Philippines (Cannot wait to get back there!!!)
    17th December - 20th December: Kuala Lumpur (Travel Hub)
    20th December: Back to UK :-( after 3 and half years away. But going back on the hope that I get accepted, as I will have to interview there. If I don't get accepted, I need to get a new passport anyway (running out of pages and expires Jan 2018). Kinda putting all my eggs in the JET basket at the moment, if I don't get accepted I will worry about it when the time comes.....

No probs mate... who knows maybe see you in Japan if we both get lucky! I too am a 30 year-old. Happy to share Facebook if you like?

I will try not make you too jealous with my current plans:
    29th October - 6th November: Cairns/Port Douglas (Scuba diving and running Great Barrier Reef Half Marathon)
    6th November - 12th November: Bali (Chilling)
    12th November - 14th November: Kuala Lumpur (Travel Hub)
    15th November - 27th November: China (I need to go back to try get a Police Clearance Certificate from when I worked there, as I will need it should I get accepted to JET. But also catch up with some friends)
    27th November - 17th December: Philippines (Cannot wait to get back there!!!)
    17th December - 20th December: Kuala Lumpur (Travel Hub)
    20th December: Back to UK :-( after 3 and half years away. But going back on the hope that I get accepted, as I will have to interview there. If I don't get accepted, I need to get a new passport anyway (running out of pages and expires Jan 2018). Kinda putting all my eggs in the JET basket at the moment, if I don't get accepted I will worry about it when the time comes.....
    Haha you failed... I'm peanut butter and jealous.

That sounds great mate, add away. Name is Paul Starkey.

Likewise for anyone else who is keen to add me. We can discuss and help each other out during the application process.

Banned

Tom, 22
    BA in applied linguistics

Gym, clubs, words, snow