Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Reasons for not receiving an interview?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    6

    Default Reasons for not receiving an interview?

    So that dreaded moment has arrived. I was unfortunately not granted an interview and neither was a friend of mine.

    We filled in our applications together and had the same person review our statement of purpose. Of course a few things differed on our applications such as our study directions (psychology and fashion design majors) and the fact that she has a TEFL certificate and I don't, but I have tutoring and childcare experience whereas she doesn't. She has much more international experience than me.

    I'm not sure if any of that information matters, but this way you have a bit of background. Point is, I want to know what would be the most likely reasons to not be granted an interview and if there is a way to improve on these factors?

    Thank you in advance for your time!

  2. #2
    Member Madjawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    北海度:???
    Posts
    49

    Default Re: Reasons for not receiving an interview?

    Quote Originally Posted by toast View Post
    So that dreaded moment has arrived. I was unfortunately not granted an interview and neither was a friend of mine.

    We filled in our applications together and had the same person review our statement of purpose. Of course a few things differed on our applications such as our study directions (psychology and fashion design majors) and the fact that she has a TEFL certificate and I don't, but I have tutoring and childcare experience whereas she doesn't. She has much more international experience than me.

    I'm not sure if any of that information matters, but this way you have a bit of background. Point is, I want to know what would be the most likely reasons to not be granted an interview and if there is a way to improve on these factors?

    Thank you in advance for your time!
    Sorry you weren't given an interview

    Huh, I mean it's kind of anyone's guess, unless it's something major like criminal history or that kind of thing... Kind of surprised that the certification didn't make it, I'd think that'd be a large boon. Do you mind sharing the general theme of your SOP? I've heard that things like "It's always been my dream" and or "I wanna live in Japan forever." are usually seen as negative points.

  3. #3
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,070

    Default Re: Reasons for not receiving an interview?

    Probably you both didn't read the instructions correctly and made the exact same clerical error.

    It might sound stupid, but that's one of their quickest ways to thin the early crowd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  4. #4
    disobedient avocado Lianwen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    INAKA
    Posts
    6,019

    Default Re: Reasons for not receiving an interview?

    ^this. Also I hate to say it, but I've seen 'overqualified' people not make because they're more likely to stay in Japan after there stint and that's not what the program wants.

    But I'm agreeing with Giz here. The program says otherwise, but with so many applications, the third time one comes across your desk with the same clerical error, you're going to bin it, even if it's something stupid like your signature page is in the wrong order.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Reasons for not receiving an interview?

    Also, a butterfly flapped its wings in Madagascar.

    The application/interview is the most mysterious as far as selection goes. All it means is that somebody in the Japanese gov't didn't like your application for some reason or another, "valid," nebulous, or otherwise.

    Try again next year if you want - but don't let it wear on you too much. The goals of the JET program are nebulous at best, and that makes the application requirements equally vague.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Satori Shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,927

    Default Re: Reasons for not receiving an interview?

    If it wasn't some sort of error in the packets, then my best guess is that your essay sucked.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.


  7. #7

    Default Re: Reasons for not receiving an interview?

    Here's some common reasons for rejection:

    1. Not following instructions exactly (they need to eliminate people and this is an easy way)

    2. Problems with your SOP. This earns you the most points and can hurt you the most. Did you spend a lot of time talking about what Japan can do for you and not what you'll do for them?

    3. No international or teaching/tutoring experience. You need something, anything.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Reasons for not receiving an interview?

    Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post
    Here's some common reasons for rejection:

    1. Not following instructions exactly (they need to eliminate people and this is an easy way)

    2. Problems with your SOP. This earns you the most points and can hurt you the most. Did you spend a lot of time talking about what Japan can do for you and not what you'll do for them?

    3. No international or teaching/tutoring experience. You need something, anything.
    Not so sure about number 3. I'd never been in a classroom in years and my international "experience" stretched as far as chasing Eastern European skirt whilst inter-railing.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Reasons for not receiving an interview?

    Yeah I'm pretty sure I didn't mention teaching in my app. Anyway, without seeing your application and SOP no one can really offer any useful feedback. It may be that you made an obvious mistake that you might not realize, there might be some kind of "alarm bell" sentence in your covering letter etc.

    I'd advise against getting into the mindset that the application process is completely arbitrary. You're just denying yourself the opportunity to improve.

  10. #10
    Senior Member mothy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    On a happy rainbow
    Posts
    12,377

    Default Re: Reasons for not receiving an interview?

    I've known so many JETs 3 wasn't true for.

  11. #11
    Perpetually confused. johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    4,065

    Default Re: Reasons for not receiving an interview?

    I was talking with a dude at a dinner at the local Japanese consulate. He said he used to work for the Japanese embassy in Ottawa and that he did a lot of their Jet Programme work.

    He told me that one of the most common reasons applications for JET get rejected in Canada is that people staple the pages of the app together when the instructions clearly state that you should not do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

  12. #12
    Looking for some chaw acpc2203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,550

    Default Re: Reasons for not receiving an interview?

    Yeah the following the instructions exactly bit definitely eliminates a lot of candidates.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Reasons for not receiving an interview?

    Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    Not so sure about number 3. I'd never been in a classroom in years and my international "experience" stretched as far as chasing Eastern European skirt whilst inter-railing.
    I guess that doesn't always matter.

    I suppose I meant the sections for international experience and travel, teaching, language classes, etc all count for a certain amount of points and if you have absolutely nothing in any of the categories then you're going to miss out on points.

    I think you can get to the interview stage just fine (or even through to the program) but I have been involved in interviews where the panel wasn't really super keen on candidates that had no experience to offer with any combination of travel/exchange/teaching/tutoring/Japan in general.
    Last edited by patjs; January 18th, 2017 at 03:39.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Reasons for not receiving an interview?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    I was talking with a dude at a dinner at the local Japanese consulate. He said he used to work for the Japanese embassy in Ottawa and that he did a lot of their Jet Programme work.

    He told me that one of the most common reasons applications for JET get rejected in Canada is that people staple the pages of the app together when the instructions clearly state that you should not do so.
    Either the Canadian embassy handles applications very differently than the US or that guy was fucking with you. There's a whole team of people who put your application in order, take out/put in staples or paperclips where necessary, make copies, etc. before it even gets to the person reviewing it.

    Like everyone else has said - a clerical error of some kind (usually transcript related) gets rid of almost a quarter of applicants right off the bat. If you have any kind of criminal history or a major medical thing it could be that as well.

    But, and it's not a satisfying answer, some people are overall good candidates, but they just don't quite have enough there. If you have just a decent SOP, a little bit of international experience, a touch of Japanese language experience, that kind of thing, sometimes they just don't add up to enough to get you through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    I really hope Japan doesn't turn me into this.

  15. #15
    Billy Big Bollocks Ini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    28,772

    Default Re: Reasons for not receiving an interview?

    pushing 15 years ago now but when i applied in the UK using staples was akin to punching the ambassadors sainted mother.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •