Thread: Last 6 Months

Default Last 6 Months

I'm currently a 4th year who decided not to recontract. What are things I should do in the last 6 months to a) prepare myself for whatever comes next (still a little fuzzy on what kind of job I'm looking for or even where) b) make sure I'm not wasting my last few months here?

Formerly the Hot One OatsCurrySummer's Avatar

Default Re: Last 6 Months

Wow, do you mind my asking what factored into that decision? Most fourth years I've known just end up staying the fifth year for the feeling of completion.
    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingTheSun View Post
    I'm currently a 4th year who decided not to recontract. What are things I should do in the last 6 months to a) prepare myself for whatever comes next (still a little fuzzy on what kind of job I'm looking for or even where) b) make sure I'm not wasting my last few months here?
    If you want to stay in Japan I would say study for the summer JLPT and lock down friendships/contacts/references. It's rough to break contract but you might want to think about applying for jobs with April starts. There's probably more around now than there will be in the summer.

If not, have fun and make plans to visit places on your bucket list?

Quote Originally Posted by OatsCurrySummer View Post
    Wow, do you mind my asking what factored into that decision? Most fourth years I've known just end up staying the fifth year for the feeling of completion.
    I think most people assumed I would just stay a fifth and I was seriously considering it myself until last summer. I realized that the only reason I had stayed for a fourth year and was considering a fifth was fear of the unknown. I realized I am not getting enough satisfaction from my job and life here to overcome the fact that I'm very lonely. My good friends that I started with have all returned and I'm finding it harder and harder to connect with the first year JETs. It's also hard to date (read: find guys my age who are willing to date a foreigner) where I am. Made harder by the fact that I don't have a car and the train to where the guys are in the capital costs over 2000 yen roundtrip. A fifth year would not be a healthy choice for me with no perceived advantages other than a feeling of competition.

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingTheSun View Post
    I think most people assumed I would just stay a fifth and I was seriously considering it myself until last summer. I realized that the only reason I had stayed for a fourth year and was considering a fifth was fear of the unknown. I realized I am not getting enough satisfaction from my job and life here to overcome the fact that I'm very lonely. My good friends that I started with have all returned and I'm finding it harder and harder to connect with the first year JETs. It's also hard to date (read: find guys my age who are willing to date a foreigner) where I am. Made harder by the fact that I don't have a car and the train to where the guys are in the capital costs over 2000 yen roundtrip. A fifth year would not be a healthy choice for me with no perceived advantages other than a feeling of competition.
    That's really wise of you to be honest. I find a lot of people stay just because it's comfortable despite gaining nothing from staying that fifth year and setting them back even farther in their careers (unless their plans are to be a BOE slave forever, then more power to them).

I forgot where I heard it, but someone (possibly here) said: You need a reason to leave before two years and a reason to stay past three.
    Last edited by OatsCurrySummer; January 17th, 2017 at 13:04.
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

Hard to say without knowing whether you're staying in Japan or leaving. If staying in Japan, work on Japanese and network as much as possible.

If leaving... Not sure, I've never gotten that lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Not sure, I've never gotten that lucky.
    And you never will.

I'm sure they will mail his ashes back to sender so glorious Nippon isn't polluted by them.

Quote Originally Posted by OatsCurrySummer View Post
    And you never will.
    Needlessly cruel.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I'm gonna agree with mothy, without knowing if you're staying in country or leaving it's hard to give advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

At the moment, the plan is to try and get a job in Kobe/ Osaka for a year, just to see what it is like living in Japan somewhere not inaka. I know I'm going to have to keep teaching English until I get my Japanese up to N1 level, which I'm thinking I can do in about two years. I'm also hoping during this time to improve my coding skills so I have some other employable characteristics beyond just the fact that I have a political background and some passable Japanese skills. From there I'm probably going to go back to the US or anywhere someone will employ me.

All that being said, what is the best way to network? Most of my friends live where I live, which is not where I want to live for another year (thus finishing my time on JET). I'm attending the career fair in Osaka next week, but I couldn't get time off to go to the one in Tokyo.

Wait so I've been networking this whole time with a bunch of drunk businessmen? Sweet.

Friday last week was pretty much the deadline for putting your hat in for this years mayoral elections.... This doesn't mean your town was holding elections (I dont know when your shitty town holds its 4 year election) this year however you should keep an eye open on this sort of thing. You never know when the drunk old dentist who lives 4 houses down from you might decide to run for public office. The guy you used to buy that last beer for might just be in a position to give you some sort of bullshit "english education researcher" position.

I'm not bitter... this didn't happen 4 years after i left jet despite the fact i carried that old soak home from the bar every day for 2 years.......
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.