Thread: Online work while on JET?

Default Online work while on JET?

I'm a current JET participant. While in the USA I was working as on online English tutor. I made good money. Jet pays practically nothing and I could use the extra money. I know technically I'm not allowed to work for another company. But it's an American company and I'm an American citizen. The money will go to my USA bank account and all taxes will be paid to the us in USD. the Japanese government has no way of knowing unless I go around blabbing about it. I wanted to know if anyone had done something like this before. Or if they have any advice. Thanks.

Default Re: Online work while on JET?

How long have you lived in japan? less than 5 years you are ok, over 5 years then you will be committing tax evasion. you could be fined 40% of what you withheld and face up to a year imprisonment.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Formerly the Hot One OatsCurrySummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MariaJohnson View Post
    I'm a current JET participant. While in the USA I was working as on online English tutor. I made good money. Jet pays practically nothing and I could use the extra money. I know technically I'm not allowed to work for another company. But it's an American company and I'm an American citizen. The money will go to my USA bank account and all taxes will be paid to the us in USD. the Japanese government has no way of knowing unless I go around blabbing about it. I wanted to know if anyone had done something like this before. Or if they have any advice. Thanks.
    Where do you live that renders JET pay "practically nothing"??
    I worked as an English tutor in Canada too and the pay was about the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    How long have you lived in japan? less than 5 years you are ok, over 5 years then you will be committing tax evasion. you could be fined 40% of what you withheld and face up to a year imprisonment.
    Never let it be said that ITIL isn't helpful!

Professional Fun Killer hypatia's Avatar

A former ALT in my area (she was a Canadian, if that makes any difference) did freelance English/French translation projects the entirely of the time that I knew her while she was on JET, and she didn't have any problems. However, it was all for projects/companies based in Canada. *shrug*

Ditto to what Oats said though - while JET isn't a lucrative job, it's certain not "practically nothing"
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    If you're expecting standards, you're in the wrong place.
    Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    The key to ALT work is to have 0 expectations and a terrible work ethic

It's tax evasion, but I still would do it. Remember, when your Uncle Billy paid you a $20 spot for mowing the lawn that also was tax evasion. Just be smart and don't do something stupid like announcing it to the world/teacher's room and you'll be fine. And I agree, if you think the JET Program pay is nothing, what is dispatch pay, negative?
    The stuff JET wants you to know, but can't actually tell you.
    www.ALTInsider.com