Thread: Criminal History! Major Crisis!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Criminal History! Major Crisis!

Recently, while I was walking hope drunk after a night at a local bar, was resting on a bus stop hunched over, and was subsequently arrested for "public intoxication," which is ironic because I walked home specifically to avoid a potential DUI charge. This happened in California, USA.

I hired a lawyer and had the charges dismissed.

So, my question is:

1) Will Japan's visa agency deny me employment even if my charges were dismissed (non-conviction)?

2) Does anyone know someone that teaching English (any ALT/Eikawa company--not just JET) with a misdemeanor/minor criminal record? Or have heard anecdotes/stories of people who have?

3) "Applications with criminal records will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis." This is stated on the JET website. However, does anyone know people who actually still got hired and worked in Japan?

I feel like I f***ed up so hard on something so stupid. I am senior at a university planning, and have been planning, to work in abroad for the past 3 years and I feel like I royally screwed up my life. Any help and even anecdotal evidence will help me immensely. Advice from people with similar experience will be much appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by impressionn; January 20th, 2017 at 09:16.

Default Re: Criminal History! Major Crisis!

You said it was dismissed, so why don't you order an FBI background check and see if shows up (I think it will, but why not see for yourself what your record says)? If it doesn't, then it's over. If it does and you have to address it, calmly explain what happened, that it was a silly mistake, and move on. I don't feel like a misdemeanor charge for non-violent public drunkenness during college is something to make a big deal out of. Will someone with a clean record look slightly better than you, sure, but oh well. Your life isn't over.

I am planning to order one in a month or two; hopefully nothing shows up, however unlikely it is.

Whether the case was dismissed or not, I was certainly arrested, booked, and fingerprinted, and it will almost certainly show up on my FBI background check. Therefore, assuming it does show up on my FBI background check, does anyone know cases where people were accepted despite their "criminal history" ?.

Quote Originally Posted by impressionn View Post
    does anyone know cases where people were accepted despite their "criminal history" ?.
    Generally the answer is going to be no. Why? Because it's not generally something you ask, or even that's acceptable to ask in normal conversation.

However I do know at least one ALT (non-JET) that has a "criminal history" - more accurately, one that has been arrested before. I don't know if it showed up on his country's background check, nor have I asked him if it came up in the application process.

The best bet is to get a state or FBI background check and confirm that the arrest or citation doesn't appear on that record. Otherwise it shouldn't come up (and you aren't legally, at least in the US) required to inform prospective employers about the arrest. It's a different story if they google your name and it's a matter of public record, although with the huge number of applicants, I don't think CLAIR and the DOJ is going to be doing individual google searches.

Might I suggest trying the search button on the forum, it's come up from time to time?
    I did a quick search for "arrest" and I think some of the replies in here would answer your question:
    Expungement?
    As long as you're honest, it shouldn't take away too many points from your application.

I can't believe they arrested you for something like that.

Are you able to remember the police waking you up? Are you sure you didn't lash out or become difficult?

Usually if you're simply just asleep on a bench the police will wake the person up and have you move on. They must have been pretty damn bored that night.