Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving House

Default Moving House

Hi guys. Here's my sitch.

A few months ago I was followed home by a middle school student and groped. It sucked. But it basically cemented the idea that I needed to move and change schools. All of my students know where I live, and the fact that they follow me home/want to be in my home/think its okay to sexually assault me is super wearing on me. Also, there's a heavy dose of I'm fucking jealous of the people who live in the city 20 minutes away and don't ever see their students. They live in a crazy convenient place, and I'm stuck out in the middle of some rice fields with semi-hourly buses and children of the corn.

Anyway. After helping me with the groping situation, the city's BOE was on board with moving me. They told me they'd move me whenever I wanted. I was happy about that.

But as time went on, the story changed a bit. I was asked to give my preference. I gave a conservative preference, but had the "real answer" encouraged out of me. I want to move to the main city, but am willing to be just outside of it, but not as far as where I am now. They told me they could move me into the city in April. Wee.

Now today they're saying that because of the lease, the house I rent is supposed to be paid for until August. I can't move until August. Also, my schools might change to city schools, but they want me to move into the more conservative location because of my schools right now, and because my successor will need a place to stay.

Anyway. I just want to know what you think I should do. Should I pay two rents for a few months? Should I suck it up and deal with my students harassing me in my parking lot? If I move to the conservative choice place I'll still be easily found by the other half of my students, so the idea doesn't excite me greatly.

What options am I not seeing?

Default Re: Moving House

Move where you like.

Meanwhile the kids where I am throw rocks at me and yell go bakku waito piggu whenever I walk by.

Formerly the Hot One OatsCurrySummer's Avatar

Yikes, Im sorry to hear all this stress as a result of moving. I do understand how annoying it can be for everyone to know where you live. The neighbors' kids--six kindergarteners in all--love to spend their Saturday mornings ringing my doorbell, yelling for me to come outside and play, and most recently, chain-locking me into my own house from the outside. Why in the fuck my house has a chain-lock on the outside, I don't know. But I had to undo it using a pair of scissors slipped through a crack in the door. So I can certainly empathize, and it's annoying. But I think I'd just wait until August to make the transition easier. Unless of course you think you're actually in any danger, then sure, leave as soon as possible. Also, paying two rents is just a waste of money and I probably couldn't forgive myself for it for the sake of avoiding six oversized babies. The only thing I wouldn't do is move to the conservative place. You've been granted a rare opportunity to go wherever you want. Don't waste it on something you only half-want.

Congratulations on being able to move to the city though!
    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

just out of interest, what did the other teachers say when you told them about gropy mcgropeface?
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    It could happen. 1/100.

Quote Originally Posted by Frap View Post
    just out of interest, what did the other teachers say when you told them about gropy mcgropeface?
    I got a ton of rapid support from the school. Basically we had a month of meetings about the situation. There were formal apologies, etc., etc.

But the people at the BOE got wind of it from a teacher and basically called my head teacher at the school in question (at 11pm on a Thursday) and offered to move me RIGHT THEN, because he has daughters and would be split if that happened to his kid in a foreign country. My town hall also knew about it and knew that the moving discussion was in the air, and we talked about it a little. Anyway, that mood seems to have died down a little and since then it's been put off.

And Oats, that sounds awful. But yeah, that sounds like what I'm dealing with. No outside lock on my door though (you're right, that's stupid as fuck what were they thinking?) but I get lots of students following me home. Doorbell ringing, mail slot opening. Students stop in front of me and ask for money, they follow me and ask for money, and no amount of "yeah rights" send them away. They follow me around shopping as well, because I guess it's normal to hang out in the supermarkets.

I'm just SO sick of their constant presence. I didn't mind it, but when the boob bandit struck it stopped being fun and just makes me anxious.

Mothy, if I did that. Like, just find an apartment myself and whatever, what would I do about a guarantor? I promise you they're not going to do that for me if I find my own place. They refused to even help me with a car licence because of "danger" and "you're unmarried so it's not safe." What would I do about the current apartment, and the housing needs of my successor? I'm willing to go down this path, but I need to know what my options are, and my people aren't going to help me understand them.

wait your boe knows you exist? damn

I guess it depends what level of hardball you're willing to play. You were victimized because they put you in an unsafe environment- or that's the way you can paint it if it comes down to that. How firm have you been in insisting? If you're willing to step on toes, then I think they'd be afraid to stop you, because if you get groped again after they stopped you from leaving they start sharing responsibility.
    If you want to create less waves, there are companies that act as guarantors, though don't know if there are any in your area... You could blackmail the parents of the groper to be your guarantor...

buy a caravan....
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

blackmail is surely the way to go

Is there any way that you can pay a fee to get out of your rental contract? I don't completely understand the details of your situation, but why can't your successor take over your new place? I don't think you should feel any responsibility for your successor anyway. If they need to find a new place, they need to find a new place. I've lived in an ALT apartment, and I've lived in a completely empty, never-been-used by an ALT place, and I definitely preferred the latter. I think that's the BOE's way of saying "we feel inconvenienced because we have to a find a place for your successor to live".
    Do you know anyone else who could act as a guarantor? Or could you apply some pressure on the BOE, reminding them what has happened to you? It's inconvenient to them, so of course they want to say no, but maybe you can change their mind by being firm about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    buy a caravan....
    The local for sale caravan has a colorful history with our ALTs that I do not want to personally inspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Isola View Post
    Is there any way that you can pay a fee to get out of your rental contract? I don't completely understand the details of your situation, but why can't your successor take over your new place? I don't think you should feel any responsibility for your successor anyway. If they need to find a new place, they need to find a new place. I've lived in an ALT apartment, and I've lived in a completely empty, never-been-used by an ALT place, and I definitely preferred the latter. I think that's the BOE's way of saying "we feel inconvenienced because we have to a find a place for your successor to live".
    Do you know anyone else who could act as a guarantor? Or could you apply some pressure on the BOE, reminding them what has happened to you? It's inconvenient to them, so of course they want to say no, but maybe you can change their mind by being firm about it?
    The issue is that they're going to most likely move me into the big city and I'll get a different set of schools. Currently the main city is a bit too far for the city hall's liking. They can't just move the new ALT into a new place because there are very few options in my town. It's a really small place (think 6000) and there are, maybe, two apartment complexes here (I'm being conservative, because I've never actually seen another apartment complex). If there aren't any apartments left in this town by the time the new guy shows up then he won't have a place to live.

The other option is that I move in between where I am now and the main city. The issue with that is according to my boss the lease isn't up until August. She also gave me a ton of vague "well the walk to the bus stop is long" kind of excuses that basically told me "no, we're not going to move you there."

Soooo yeah, I'm basically being talked down and while I care a bunch I guess my option is to go rogue or wait until August. Blast.

I guess where I'm confused is, are you changing your schools in April or August?
    And is your town such a hot real estate spot that someone is going to snap up your place as soon as you leave? And if there isn't a room to rent in town, couldn't he move into the suburbs?
    In the end, I don't think these are things that you have to worry about, they're things that the BOE has to worry about. If you stick firm to your guns and say that you need to move and that you are going to move, they'll probably give into you. Don't get Japanese'd into staying in a situation where your safety is being compromised. I honestly felt uncomfortable and worried reading your post. Getting some teachers on board with you to help navigate the teeth sucking and the muzukashii's might help you take more control of the situation. I really hope you can find a solution that works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Isola View Post
    I guess where I'm confused is, are you changing your schools in April or August?
    And is your town such a hot real estate spot that someone is going to snap up your place as soon as you leave? And if there isn't a room to rent in town, couldn't he move into the suburbs?
    In the end, I don't think these are things that you have to worry about, they're things that the BOE has to worry about. If you stick firm to your guns and say that you need to move and that you are going to move, they'll probably give into you. Don't get Japanese'd into staying in a situation where your safety is being compromised. I honestly felt uncomfortable and worried reading your post. Getting some teachers on board with you to help navigate the teeth sucking and the muzukashii's might help you take more control of the situation. I really hope you can find a solution that works for you.
    They're not telling me when I'd change schools, and to be honest it sounds like they don't want me to. It would honestly make sense to change in April, and it's completely possible. But they're saying August is easier. My town is small and there really aren't apartment buildings here. Only single homes. I live in the only apartment building in my town. To my town hall, me living in the main city and commuting in is too expensive (its 530 yen one way), so it follows that it would be too expensive for my successor to live there as well.

Honestly I want to get a nice job after JET, be it private school or localization or something like that. Not making waves is the nice polite Japanese thing to do, but you're right. I might talk to the teachers at the school where this all went down. Maybe hem and haw at them a little bit and have them call the main BOE to hear their opinions.

Why don't you drive to school?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

You ask entirely too much.

Why don't you drive to school?
    And act like a functioning adult rather than a spoiled and mollycoddled child? How long is it since you were on Jet?

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    They're not telling me when I'd change schools, and to be honest it sounds like they don't want me to. It would honestly make sense to change in April, and it's completely possible. But they're saying August is easier. My town is small and there really aren't apartment buildings here. Only single homes. I live in the only apartment building in my town. To my town hall, me living in the main city and commuting in is too expensive (its 530 yen one way), so it follows that it would be too expensive for my successor to live there as well.

Honestly I want to get a nice job after JET, be it private school or localization or something like that. Not making waves is the nice polite Japanese thing to do, but you're right. I might talk to the teachers at the school where this all went down. Maybe hem and haw at them a little bit and have them call the main BOE to hear their opinions.
    1000 yen a day travel is too expensive?!

If everyone in London outside of Zone 1/2 can manage it you should be able to.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    1000 yen a day travel is too expensive?!

If everyone in London outside of Zone 1/2 can manage it you should be able to.
    My BOE paid about 2500yen a day in taxis just for me to get to school - they took the no driving in the contracts very seriously in our area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?