Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving House

Default Re: Moving House

Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    My BOE paid about 2500yen a day in taxis just for me to get to school - they took the no driving in the contracts very seriously in my area.
    Ftfy

My BOE paid about 2500yen a day in taxis just for me to get to school

Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Too bad Drano is terrible for your pipes and leads to more problems in the long run...

isnt drano just thickened bleach?

draino works perfectly, the rumors it damages your pipes were spread by those so-called journalists at the failing NYtimes. fake news.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Formerly the Hot One OatsCurrySummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    Too bad Drano is terrible for your pipes and leads to more problems in the long run...
    Lol who cares? That's the next ALTs problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

if you did ur job right there will be no next alt

Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    if you did ur job right there will be no next alt
    Then I did my job right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    draino works perfectly, the rumors it damages your pipes were spread by those so-called journalists at the failing NYtimes. fake news.
    I love how "Failing NYtimes" rolls off the tongue so easily

Professional Fun Killer hypatia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    They're not telling me when I'd change schools, and to be honest it sounds like they don't want me to. It would honestly make sense to change in April, and it's completely possible. But they're saying August is easier. My town is small and there really aren't apartment buildings here. Only single homes. I live in the only apartment building in my town. To my town hall, me living in the main city and commuting in is too expensive (its 530 yen one way), so it follows that it would be too expensive for my successor to live there as well.

Honestly I want to get a nice job after JET, be it private school or localization or something like that. Not making waves is the nice polite Japanese thing to do, but you're right. I might talk to the teachers at the school where this all went down. Maybe hem and haw at them a little bit and have them call the main BOE to hear their opinions.
    Sorry to hear about this shitty situation :/ I second the suggestion of getting someone at the school in question to go for bat for you with your BOE. In my case at least, I very rarely deal with the people at my BOE, but I have a much better relationship with the teachers and staff at my schools. Plus, they actually get treated like real people with actual concerns, so there's that. You mentioned a head teacher in another post. Maybe they would have some clout? Do you have a sympathetic/friendly kyoto-sensei? I find that the VPs at my schools are the best people to help get shit done. The principals are always tucked away in their office, but the vice principals are usually out in the staff room. They have more administrative power than the average teacher but aren't as busy.

My BOE paid about 2500yen a day in taxis just for me to get to school - they took the no driving in the contracts very seriously in our area.
    A few of the BOEs in my area do the taxi thing as well. My BOE is just as serious about the no driving, but I just have to ride my damn bike everywhere. For my farthest school I take a bus (at least I get pre-paid tickets for that), but my second farthest school is a 30 minute bike into the mountains one way. Rainy season is a barrel of laughs.
    Last edited by hypatia; February 12th, 2017 at 23:53.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    If you're expecting standards, you're in the wrong place.
    Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    The key to ALT work is to have 0 expectations and a terrible work ethic

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Why don't you drive to school?
    Oh man, you shoulda been there for that conversation.

"Well I can get my scooter licence." "Nonsense, you're unmarried and I feel responsible for you. It's far too dangerous."

"Well I can get a drivers licence" "Nonsense, that is far too dangerous and what would your father think?"

But yeah, no driving in the contract in my town... Also I'm a filthy "grew up with tons of public transportation" privileged child.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    1000 yen a day travel is too expensive?!

If everyone in London outside of Zone 1/2 can manage it you should be able to.
    I'm not saying it's too expensive. They are. They're the ones reimbursing me, as it is.

Edit:

Well I suppose I can give y'all an update. Though honestly this roller coaster is so annoying, and I'm sure by Wednesday their story will change again.

They told me I can't move in the in-between town because it has high schoolers and truck drivers, therefore too dangerous. I'm happy to agree with them because that town is generally just a shit hole and I'd rather not live there.

They were looking up apartments for me in the main city and were talking about getting me a commuter's ticket, so it sounds like they've decided that I can move into the city, commute to the schools here, and it's not too expensive for them.

I don't know. These people are nuts. I'm just going to be looking up apartments on my off time.
    Last edited by Ananasboat; February 13th, 2017 at 10:26.

Oh man, you shoulda been there for that conversation.

"Well I can get my scooter licence." "Nonsense, you're unmarried and I feel responsible for you. It's far too dangerous."

"Well I can get a drivers licence" "Nonsense, that is far too dangerous and what would your father think?"

But yeah, no driving in the contract in my town... Also I'm a filthy "grew up with tons of public transportation" privileged child.
    using public transport makes you privileged? I guess the tramps who ride around the subway all day to keep out the cold must have been born with a silver spoon up their arses

I'm waiting until you realize I'm talking about how I don't have a licence.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

I'm waiting until you realize I'm talking about how I don't have a licence.
    You mean any license at all or just the Japanese one?

Edit: Even with public transportation, who doesn't have a license just for the heck of it?
    Last edited by Zolrak 22; February 16th, 2017 at 08:48.

Japanese license is expensive so I've never bothered to get one and recently I noticed my US license expired last year. So I guess I don't have a license right now.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    So I guess I don't have a license right now.
    But at the very least you *had* a license before coming to Japan.

I feel like I've addressed my lack of licence already in the past and it's not the point of this post. But really, if you live in a place where there's tons of public transportation, you don't always think about becoming a paper driver.

I feel like I've addressed my lack of licence already in the past and it's not the point of this post. But really, if you live in a place where there's tons of public transportation, you don't always think about becoming a paper driver.
    I know I sound like an @5@8| when I say it, but I still blend your identity together with the other food girl sometimes.

Watch the language