Thread: JET teaching demo PowerPoint presentation - Can you get it off the internet?

Default JET teaching demo PowerPoint presentation - Can you get it off the internet?

I am going in for the JET interview in a few days and wondering if it is frowned upon to use a PowerPoint presentation that I found on the internet for the demonstration?

Default Re: JET teaching demo PowerPoint presentation - Can you get it off the internet?

Seems like a bad idea. Is there a reason you can't make your own? I've never found a teaching PowerPoint online that I'd want to use to represent myself in a job interview to be honest.

Formerly the Hot One OatsCurrySummer's Avatar

Default Re: JET teaching demo PowerPoint presentation - Can you get it off the internet?

Most definitely, for a number of reasons:
    1. They probably won't have a projector there for you, and you'll look ridiculous carrying one into the room.
    2. If you make it through, you may be placed in a school with little to no technology in terms of TVs and smart boards. The interviewers want to know that you can make teaching fun and effective with little to no resources.
    3. You didn't make the powerpoint yourself, so even if you did use it, it's not showcasing your skills. It simply shows that you are capable of googling (which, granted, is most of this job anyways, but the interviewers don't want to see that)
    4. My interviewers didn't ask me to "teach anything". They gave me a specific topic, so your powerpoint may not even be relevant to what they ask of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger View Post
    I am going in for the JET interview in a few days and wondering if it is frowned upon to use a PowerPoint presentation that I found on the internet for the demonstration?
    Shouldn't be a problem. Why not embellish your grades and work experience as well? Everyone does it.

Don't bother.
    If you have to "teach" anything during your interview, there most likely will be zero tech available.
    You'll be expected to do a demo lesson with near nothing which is expected.
    They want to test how you can function in a lesson without materials and without much preparation (it happens sometimes).
    I'm 100% sure you won't even know what topic you'll have.
    Just bring yourself.

you could bring an ipad/tablet with you and before hand make up various collections of flash cards for all the standard topics so you'll have something to work from. Using IT to teach english with give anyone from MEXT a gurobarujinzai boner.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

It said in the invitation that "You may use a PowerPoint presentation and/or any other materials during your teaching demonstration" and that we had to send it in before the interview, so assuming they have some way of projecting the PowerPoint presentation, or at least be able to show it on a ipad/laptop. Have made my own now. Getting really close now to the interview. Just 2 days left.

Out of curiosity, where are you interviewing?