Thread: English help using social media?

Default English help using social media?

Hi everyone!

Currently waiting to hear back about the interview results here, but I had a question for current/former ALTs regarding social media use and wanted to ask while it was on my mind. I have taken several courses where Twitter was used as a way to communicate with my instructor outside of class (posting assignments, homework help, etc.) and was wondering if you think this would be successful in JHS or SHS environments? As long as I get the green light from the school(s) and keep the account separate from my personal social media, do you think this would be an appropriate thing to use so students can contact me for additional help if needed? If you have used it, how did it go and what would you change? Here are a few pros and cons I thought up:

Pros:
    -Shy students may be more likely to ask for help
    -I can post things that may be helpful or interesting but not discussed during class
    -More hands-on for students who enjoy using social media
    -Possibly motivate students to follow other English/language/culture-related accounts that suit their interests

Cons:
    -Maybe this will be seen as me thinking the JTE is not capable of providing the students with enough information
    -Students without access to social media may feel left out/there may not be enough students with access
    -Chance that no one cares enough to try in the first place

If there is something I am not considering (or if you just think it's a dumb idea) I'd love to hear some feedback. Even if I am not accepted, perhaps this could be useful for someone else. Thanks!

Default Re: English help using social media?

I really doubt schools would be accepting of it, though it's always possible you'll get an exceptionally open-minded school. Every school I've worked at has actively discouraged use of social network sites by students.
    In addition, I'm just not sure how well it would work with the educational culture here. Your 3rd con is a quite likely scenario.
    If you can get it to work out, sweet. But I wouldn't expect it to.

Social media is seen in a dim light in schools due to all the bullying and suicides that get blamed on it. You could ask at your school if the principal is up for it but I wouldn't hold out much hope. While not a set in stone rule the guidelines recommend that teachers do not use social media to communicate with students or parents.

ソーシャルメディア利用のガイドライン
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Sounds like the kind of light bulb the genkiest of the genki would come up with at SDC, only for red tape and a lack of enthusiasm from both teachers and students to prevent it going anywhere.

It's a nice idea but realistically I'd set your sights lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Social media is seen in a dim light in schools due to all the bullying and suicides that get blamed on it. You could ask at your school if the principal is up for it but I wouldn't hold out much hope. While not a set in stone rule the guidelines recommend that teachers do not use social media to communicate with students or parents.

ソーシャルメディア利用のガイドライン
    I love reading the posters around school that show the horrors of social media.

We have a prefecture wide ban on social media use in the schools on account of the yankee doodle diddler a year and a half ago...most likely you'll be shot down.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Satori Shinobi View Post
    We have a prefecture wide ban on social media use in the schools on account of the yankee doodle diddler a year and a half ago...most likely you'll be shot down.
    JET- always improving Japan

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    Sounds like the kind of light bulb the genkiest of the genki would come up with at SDC, only for red tape and a lack of enthusiasm from both teachers and students to prevent it going anywhere.

It's a nice idea but realistically I'd set your sights lower.
    Let's be honest, someone coming up with this at SDC would present some vastly overdone paper-based social network of their own devising and recommend it as the most successful teaching strategy yet employed in the history of EFL education.

There is no way your school would let you use social media to teach or communicate, but I'm not sure why you would want to use it anyway. You might ask if you could have a corner on the school website, if there is one, and if you can find who runs it. I wouldn't expect anyone to read it though, and you'll not score many points in the workplace for it.

You'll get your proposal rejected.
    Even having contact outside of school with students in majority of settings would be seen as inappropriate, possibly predatory, and unprofessional.

While it may seem like a good idea, I can guarantee the shy students will not partake anyway and the rest of the kids are lazy fucks. They won't read jack shit you post and it'll just be a major time-suck for you when you could be spending your time better elsewhere.
    Students that are interested in English will either be going to eikaiwa on their own, will approach you at school, or do their own stuff at home without you.

I appreciate all of the input. I didn't know social media was so actively discouraged in schools (they even make posters?), but I can see why with bullying being an issue. I'd rather not give it a try if it's going to worry anyone to that extent. I'll just follow ambrosse's advice and try to find a better way to spend my time then if I get the opportunity. Thanks everybody!