Thread: Advice on travel, after handing in passport at the Pre-Departure Orientation

Default Advice on travel, after handing in passport at the Pre-Departure Orientation

Hi All,

I am trying to remain positive during this long wait to discover my fate regarding the JET Programme. However, I do need some advice from previous successful UK applicants for travel after handing in passport after the Pre-Departure Orientation/people with good knowledge on immigration and travel from the UK to Norway, with only a copy of your passport and a physical ID card (eg UK driving licence).

My problem....

A Norwegian friend of mine is getting married at his boat house in Norway 8th of July 2017. But, should I get accepted to the JET Programme (which obviously I hope I do), I will have to hand in my passport after the Pre-Departure orientation in London, of which I will assume will be before the 8th of July as the website timeline for the UK JET Programme states:

"Early July:
    Two-day Pre-Departure Orientation in London."

Obviously, I would not refuse a position with the JET Programme due to this, but, it would be amazing if I could still travel to Norway without my physical passport. So any advice would be welcome :-)

Just to clarify, I am a UK passport holder and will be travelling to Norway.

Default Re: Advice on travel, after handing in passport at the Pre-Departure Orientation

From what I'm reading, I don't think that Brits can travel to Norway without a passport. I could be wrong.

However, I've known folks that were able to get the JET geeks to be a little flexible with them if they needed their passport for some reason. If you're shortlisted, get ahold of your coordinator ASAP, explain the situation, and see if they can work with you. They may be able to work out a solution that will permit you to do all of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Default Re: Advice on travel, after handing in passport at the Pre-Departure Orientation

Hi Word,

Thanks for the reply. I am going to call the Norwegian Embassy on Monday and enquire about it. Also, I remember when I was in China and in similar situation that they were renewing my resident permit, but I had some domestic travel plans but was risky as I may not have been able to get my passport back in time, they have a kind of "travel Document" that you can use in China that explains the passport is with the Government. Obviously, that is only for domestic travel within China. But, given the fact that the UK (currently) and Norway (although not fully) are both in the EU, it is possible there maybe a similar document for such situations....

Should the Norwegian embassy say it is not possible, then should I get accepted onto the JET Programme, I will explain the situation and will accept whatever they say, because at the end of the day, the JET Programme is my priority and my friend will fully understand if I cannot make it to the wedding.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    my friend will fully understand if I cannot make it to the wedding.
    As long as you aren't the best man/bridesmaid, I'm sure things will be fine.

He's only posted twice, don't start making his skin crawl this early on with your creepy emoji schtick.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    From what I'm reading, I don't think that Brits can travel to Norway without a passport. I could be wrong.

However, I've known folks that were able to get the JET geeks to be a little flexible with them if they needed their passport for some reason. If you're shortlisted, get ahold of your coordinator ASAP, explain the situation, and see if they can work with you. They may be able to work out a solution that will permit you to do all of this.

At the NYC consulate we were asked to hand over our passports a week before departure. I didn't have a passport to handover (long story) and was told it was fine. The handing over of your passport is more for the idiots who make it all the way to the airport and can't fly because they left their travel documents at home and so the consulate isn't sticking a million COEs into passports the day you're leaving.

If shortlisted, just let them know your plans. It's a manageable issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?

I heard back from the Norwegian Embassy and they confirmed, I would need my passport. Luckily, flights from UK to Norway are relatively cheap, so I will just hold off until I hear about my fate with the JET Programme and then enquire about it. Don't really want to ask them the question about it now as they may think "This guy could cause us an administration issue....lets shortlist someone else"