Thread: Finished JET and went home, but Supervisor just found out I did outside work

Default Finished JET and went home, but Supervisor just found out I did outside work

So just got an email out of the blue that the company I did some freelance for during my last few months before leaving Japan sent a tax receipt to my house, which got forwarded to my old supervisor. I never worked on it during my JET hours, but they're still pretty angry.

My question is: is there anything they can do, consequence-wise? It was technically against my contract, but since I've finished I'm not sure if there'd be any problem besides them being angry?
    Last edited by distantshores; March 8th, 2017 at 14:30.

Default Re: Finished JET and went home, but Supervisor just found out I did outside work

Could they? Theoretically they could take you to court, but them showing how they were damaged by you violating the terms of the contract would be difficult so I wouldn't worry about that. The only problem might be if you ever need any recommendation from them. Don't count on that.

Another thing that strikes me as theoretically possible is reporting you to immigration to try to get you in trouble for violating the terms of your visa.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: Finished JET and went home, but Supervisor just found out I did outside work

Quote Originally Posted by distantshores View Post
    So just got an email out of the blue that the company I did some freelance for during my last few months before leaving Japan sent a tax receipt to my house, which got forwarded to my old supervisor. I never worked on it during my JET hours, but they're still pretty angry.

My question is: is there anything they can do, consequence-wise? It was technically against my contract, but since I've finished I'm not sure if there'd be any problem besides them being angry?
    They're allowed to be angry because you broke both your contract rules and visa rules (unless it was another instructor visa school).

Now if you aren't the country they can't do much to ya, if you're in country they could make your life miserable, especially if they know where you live.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

They can't do anything because you're already gone. The only thing that could have happened was being fired, but you already completed your contract. Everyone does side jobs, so you're not the only one. But same thing as others have said, probably no future reference letters.

Being angry is all they can do at this point. They can try to do something about it, but they can't.
    Last edited by richief_611; March 11th, 2017 at 19:41.

They could send Ninjas.

Keep your windows locked.
    The locals possess a peculiar aversion to the bayonet.

You could post the contents of the email for our amusement....
    Need a website hosted? ITIL runs on webhosting provided by BigWetFish. They're really great - check them out at bigwetfish.com. Sign up using the link and you'll also be helping ITIL with commission!

Formerly the Hot One OatsCurrySummer's Avatar

^^ seconded!
    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

It is surely possible that you could have trouble getting into Japan again.
    車庫 B1F