Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shortlisted, but unsure

Default Re: Shortlisted, but unsure

Quote Originally Posted by hachemancour View Post
    Yeah, I appreciate that reality, it's a valid point. My goal is to head to graduate school for the actual pedagogical study and degree after JET, if I follow that route, so as to achieve an actual and potentially rewarding career. What do you think of that?
    Quite likely a good long-term plan but be 100% certain you want to be a teacher before doing the training. I quite enjoyed Jet, started teacher training after I got home and absolutely hated it. The ball-n-chain did the same as me but enjoyed it, got qualified and now finds teaching quite rewarding.

Yeah, I have some work experience under my belt. I'm worried about reapplying and not getting in again though. I'm also typically very pragmatic.

I'm also typically very pragmatic.
    You come across as more neurotic and insecure tbh.

I'm worried 25 (and 26 next month) is getting to be too old to take the risks. I'm not sure.
    Are you kidding?! You're 25. That's nothing. You'll probably be working for at least another 40 years. FORTY years. Take as many risks as you like, because you have a long way to go. The most important thing is to do what makes you happy.

To quote Baz Luhrmann

Don't feel guilty if you don't know what to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Frap View Post
    Are you kidding?! You're 25. That's nothing. You'll probably be working for at least another 40 years.
    retire at 65? how ghastly
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Formerly the Hot One OatsCurrySummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    retire at 65? how ghastly
    What's your secret to avoid such a fate?
    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I came on JET at 28 and never left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    I came on JET at 28 and never left.
    Surely something we can all aspire to.
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OatsCurrySummer View Post
    Surely something we can all aspire to.
    It's not bad... I now make 6mil a year, just got a raise, I mean It's not all bad eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    It's not bad... I now make 6mil a year, just got a raise, I mean It's not all bad eh?
    Definitely not, that's awesome.
    If this diet keeps going well and I can make it to a 24-inch waist (I was at 25 before coming to Japan), gonna try to get into modelling since foreigners are in high demand with agencies, and I've got a few photographer friends. Couldn't hurt to try (while obviously working a non-JET ALT job on the side).
    Sorry to derail this thread.

In short, OP is young enough to come here and it wont be too much of a detriment to their career. Though working from home and visiting Japan on your own time sounds pretty sweet as well.

Hey folks,

I've got a problem. I was shortlisted this year, which is amazing.
    Anyway, this has been an impossible decision for me. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Thank you!
    hachemancour, you should totally accept your position on JET. Since you got accepted, you'll regret it if you decide to apply again, but then not get in. Since your editing job is at home, you may be able to do it part-time at least when you're in Japan. Also, this job will still be around even after JET, if JET becomes a bad experience.

JET is such a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, so you should take it. You'll be able to build your ESL experience, travel cheaply to nearby countries and within Japan, learn/speak Japanese, and experience a culture very unique in East Asia.

If possible, you can start or even complete an ESL degree program while you're on JET. Some people do it entirely online, and use their work experience to fulfill the practicum requirement. If ESL education is your ultimate career goal, then JET is your best option.

I say that you should at least do JET for 2 years to get the most out of it, but it's always ESID, since you may be placed randomly somewhere that you may not like.

You've taught in China before, so you know how it is. It's really great. And since you'll be 26 years old when you go, this may be your last chance to easily get accepted into the program. While age isn't that much of an issue for JET, they do mostly accept young people in their 20s. The editing job seems to be just a job, but not your ultimate career goal. You may grow tired of it after a year or two, and then regret not going on JET later.

YOLO! (You only live once) So take this opportunity to go on JET. And I have to say, Japanese kids are one of the cutest and energetic kids I have ever seen!! You won't regret it.

Some people have different experiences, but there are many people who come to Japan on JET and then never want to leave.

Good luck on your decision.
    Last edited by richief_611; April 2nd, 2017 at 15:06.

What's your secret to avoid such a fate?
    have enough money to retire at 50, its hardly rocket science.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Oh my god, why didn't I think of that?!

This is surprisingly easy to do if you don't try to keep up with the Joneses and don't have kids.

Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    This is surprisingly easy to do if you don't have kids.
    Guess, I'm working until 65 then.

Guess, I'm working until 65 then.
    Didn't use protection in your recent sex tourism?

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Didn't use protection in your recent sex tourism?
    Learned my lesson in high school ~ ♥

Learned my lesson in high school ~ ♥
    Yeh I have a couple of exes who became intimately familiar with a coathanger, too.

OP, I was an older JET. Moved on to direct hire. I realize now that a lot of the stuff that I worried about--falling behind my peers--didn't really matter. I've got all that jazz now (wife, kid, decent career, good car, nice house). It didn't take long to catch up. I vote go for it.

Besides, Trump is probably gonna start WWIII soon and we'll all be either dead or living in some sort of Mad Max-esque apocalypse, so no worries. Might as well have a little fun on our way out.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

You're still young, I'd do JET.

It seems like you are looking to pursue a graduate degree or some kind of different path than this editing job anyway so why not just do JET and save some money and have some fun?

Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post
    It seems like you are looking to pursue a graduate degree or some kind of different path than this editing job anyway so why not just do JET and save some money and have some fun?
    Because that's exactly where I was and I'm now signed on for two and a half years on this island with no intention of leaving after that. This place is a trap.