Thread: 2017 Alternate List

Default 2017 Alternate List

Hello, I'm new to the forums and I commemorate my joining with a bittersweet update on my alternate status. I decided to reach out to the internet with the hopes of finding any solace in my unfortunate limbo. I feel so many conflicting emotions. I've invested much time dedicating myself to qualify for this program. The news was devastating and humbling. On the other hand, I've done some searching on the webs and I find hope in the numerous success stories I've read. So, here's hoping that I'll also be able to make it. Cheers, from Reno, NV.

Default Re: 2017 Alternate List

Alternatives on the JET program have a decent chance at getting a position - there's a lot of shortlisters who don't get their paperwork together, or are otherwise disqualified, or drop out in favor of another job. It's still essentially a lottery on who gets chosen when a shortlisted candidate drops out, but if you've got your paperwork together, there's a decent chance you'll get a position.

I'd still recommend looking into other jobs in the short term - JET is a pretty good deal, but there are alternative paths through companies, as well as other opportunities in general.

Formerly the Hot One OatsCurrySummer's Avatar

Alternate here, upgraded in December 2015. It sucks, but it's totally possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

Also a former alternate, Upgraded in December 2014. I had already reapplied by that point. First waves of upgrades hit around the time of deadlines. Enact your plan B and carry on with life.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

see, if these two train wrecks can get in anyone can. All you need to do is have nothing else going on in your life so when someone jumps ship in the winter break you are the only person left on the alternate list.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    All you need to do is have nothing else going on in your life
    lol I turned down an offer from Oxford to be here (now whether that was huge mistake or not remains yet to be determined).
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

sure you did...
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Just goes to show what happens when you welcome lesser lifeforms like alternates.

Oh yeah because the shortlisted are all that and a bag of chips.
    At least I didn't spend three months in jail.

Alternates are so defensive.

Thanks for the replies, gents. I'm not going to lose hope I just wish there was something else I could think about in the meantime. It seems like I'm checking my email every day. I leave class whenever I have a phone call (goddamn telemarketers). It's hard to tell family my circumstance given that JET is the only thing I've talked about for the past 10 years (military and college). I've built a hefty resume in the process. My statement of purpose was effortlessly written because I've thought about it so much. It feels good to talk to others that have been in a similar circumstance. I don't know if I'm thinking to hard about this. I just know that I've come to far to give up. I'll apply again next year if need be. I'm going to volunteer in positions where I can tutor children and possibly a big brother and sister program. This is my greatest shortcoming as far as I'm concerned. I let my passion speak for itself and that got me an interview. I recognize that I need something more relevant to help further my resume.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    see, if these two train wrecks can get in anyone can.
    A train wreck implies I had forward momentum going on in my life.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasilyte View Post
    Thanks for the replies, gents.
    I am no man. (Though some would argue I'm not a lady either.)

You'll do yourself a lot of good if you make like Elsa and let it go though. A ten year obsession over a (mundane and tedious) job that you you'll do for five years max (but likely far less) is just causing you unnecessary stress and heartache. At least you're being proactive and reapplying though, I was so salty over the whole thing that I just decided to go forward with grad school applications instead.
    At the end of the day, Japan isn't going anywhere anytime soon. It'll be here next year too (unless Best Korea decides otherwise, that is).

I was an alternate from April to July 2014 and was upgraded. For those months in between I was dating a girl who I told I would be moving to Japan. Of course, I didn't know if I'd be upgraded or not but didn't want to tell her I was uninterested in her. Now I'm moving to Russia to get cheap backbone surgery. It is so ironic that it seems made up. It's not.

Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    I was an alternate from April to July 2014 and was upgraded. For those months in between I was dating a girl who I told I would be moving to Japan. Of course, I didn't know if I'd be upgraded or not but didn't want to tell her I was uninterested in her.l.
    Similar thing happened to me but she left me anyway after I shagged her grandad up the chuffer.

First year applicant here, Australia. Ended up getting put in the alternate cucklist.
    Back to the boring desk job for now.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    Similar thing happened to me but she left me anyway after I shagged her grandad up the chuffer.
    I bet the grandad was worth it though.