Thread: Book excerpts in youtube videos

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Book excerpts in youtube videos

Guys I want to start a youtube channel about life in Japan!

Not really. I'm just curious that if I made a youtube channel about Japanese books, and I included a few sentences from those books, would I get copyright struck? Striked? Stricken?

I know nothing about Japanese copyright law except that there's no such thing as fair use.

Default Re: Book excerpts in youtube videos

著作権法
    Copyright Act

第三十二条 公表された著作物は、引用して利用することができる。この場合において、その引用は、公正な慣行に合致するものであり、かつ、報道、批評、研究その他の引用の目的上正当な範囲内で行なわれるものでなければならない。
    Article 32 (1) It is permissible to quote from and thereby exploit a work that has been made public. In such a case, the work must be quoted consistent with fair practices and within a scope that is justified by the aim of the news report, critique, study, or other place in which the work is quoted.
    cheesy wotsits
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Fuck yeah. Thanks Ini.

By "made public," do they just mean published? Or do they mean "permission to copy freely given by copyright holder?"

Article 4 (1) A work has been made public if it is published
    Article 3 (1) A work has been published if a person that owns the right set forth in Article 21, a person authorized thereby (meaning authorized to exploit a work pursuant to the provisions of Article 63, paragraph (1); the same applies hereinafter in this and the next Chapter, except Article 4-2 and Article 63), or a person in favor of whom the print rights set forth in Article 79 have been established, makes and distributes copies of the work in quantities that are reasonably sufficient for meeting public demand, commensurate with the nature of the work (limited to when the person does so without prejudice to the rights of the person that owns the rights set forth in Article 26, Article 26-2, paragraph (1), or Article 26-3).
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

u da best deary

you're automatically getting my first giveaway

hope u liek naruto

The term you are looking for is "fair use".

"In its most general sense, a fair use is any copying of copyrighted material done for a limited and “transformative” purpose, such as to comment upon, criticize, or parody a copyrighted work. Such uses can be done without permission from the copyright owner." http://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview...t-is-fair-use/

If you are selecting a few quotes to review a book or illustrate its contents for the reader, that is fine. Copying whole chapters or large sections of the book is straying from the definition and can get you in trouble.

Claude