Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a Driver's License a dealmaker/breaker?

Default Is a Driver's License a dealmaker/breaker?

I live in Canada currently, I don't have my driver's license yet, just learner's. Tbh I am so afraid of driving, I've just driven in parking lots a few times and I hate it. I usually use public transit and I'm okay with walking and biking long distances. I am just wondering if for JET not having a license is a huge disadvantage? I've been considering going to driving school if having a license will be good on my application, and in my province it's fairly easy to get your full license which can lead to an international license. I'm hoping to not have an extremely rural placement so I could mostly take a train/bus/bike to work because I seriously don't want to buy a car in Japan. I know AEON gives priority to applicants with a driver's license. Is the same true for JET in people's experience?

Default Re: Is a Driver's License a dealmaker/breaker?

Not being able to drive likely slightly downgrades your application but even where I am almost all JETs don't drive and many of those don't have licenses back home either. Of course Ini will say differently.

Formerly the Hot One OatsCurrySummer's Avatar

Just get your license. Im on an island in buttfuck nowhere with no trains in the entire prefecture. My license expired while I was here so I had to return home to renew it and finally, after almost two years I'll be able to drive in Japan. It really helps if you ever wanna go on a road trip or go to natural landmarks not serviced by public transit. It cant hurt you to have it, even if you dont use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

Get it relatively soon if you want to come to Japan. Public transportation is nice, until you get to the inaka and there's a bus at 5:00 and 18:00 and nothing in between. Not so necessary if you live in a place that needs a parking spot reservation, but can still be worth it.

To get your license transferred, IIRC you must have had it for a minimum of 6 months before coming to Japan. (Doesn't affect IDP, only getting Japanese license the easy way.)

Get your license.

While I'm not certain it will affect your chances (it would if I were running things), it's a really good idea. To be perfectly honest, what really worries me about what you've said isn't that you don't have a license, but that you're "afraid of driving." Seems a bit sketchy.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Just to offer an alternative opinion, if you don't drive but the rest off your application is strong, it seems you're slightly more likely to get a reasonably urban placement...

Saying you cant drive is like saying you drop your trousers and underpants when standing at a urinal. Technically nothing wrong with it but its a bit of a weird thing for a grown adult to do and I'm not sure I would trust putting you in charge of children.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

It's cool, they have these things called "trains" nowadays. Incidentally I always use a stall.
    Whats this "train" you speak of? Sounds like something only rich prefectures have.
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    To be perfectly honest, what really worries me about what you've said isn't that you don't have a license, but that you're "afraid of driving." Seems a bit sketchy.
    I noticed that to. “I want to move halfway around the world to a country completely different than my own, but I'm afraid of doing something hundreds of millions of people all over the world do every day.” Huh?

OKay guys, lets not scare off the one new person to venture on here in the past few months.

Just get your license. Even if you never use it, its a life skill that all functioning adults (and some of the non-functioning ones as well) have.

Get your license, stance your car and put a fart can on it.

Quote Originally Posted by OatsCurrySummer View Post
    Whats this "train" you speak of? Sounds like something only rich prefectures have.
    How do you imagine the island would change if there was a train line across it?
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Satori Shinobi View Post
    How do you imagine the island would change if there was a train line across it?
    Not my island, but the main island. It's long and thin with a fucking US base right at the narrowest point, choking off roads and creating horrendous traffic. A train would be in immense boon for the island and force people to stop relying solely on cars, as well as bring business and money to the inaka north.

Not my island, but the main island. It's long and thin with a fucking US base right at the narrowest point, choking off roads and creating horrendous traffic. A train would be in immense boon for the island and force people to stop relying solely on cars, as well as bring business and money to the inaka north.
    pfff okinawa traffic has nothing on hawaii traffic.

Just to offer an alternative opinion, if you don't drive but the rest off your application is strong, it seems you're slightly more likely to get a reasonably urban placement...
    That's what I'm kind of thinking? My application should be fairly strong especially by the time I'm applying. I know lots of people want an urban placement but I personally know some too who really want to be in the country soo ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Saying you cant drive is like saying you drop your trousers and underpants when standing at a urinal. Technically nothing wrong with it but its a bit of a weird thing for a grown adult to do and I'm not sure I would trust putting you in charge of children.
    Uhh okay, interesting analogy.
    Really? I know tons of adults who even in Canada can't drive because they've mostly taken public transit their whole lives.
    Also not sure what driving has to do with teaching kids English? I'm pretty good with kids and I'm a certified babysitter and counselor. I've volunteered with children's reading programs for forever too. Those might be plusses on my application?
    Last edited by mirai; August 30th, 2017 at 14:16.

Just get your license. Even if you never use it, its a life skill that all functioning adults (and some of the non-functioning ones as well) have.
    I probably will tbh. Just trying to get an idea of how having a driver's license legitimately impacts your application.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Get your license.

While I'm not certain it will affect your chances (it would if I were running things), it's a really good idea. To be perfectly honest, what really worries me about what you've said isn't that you don't have a license, but that you're "afraid of driving." Seems a bit sketchy.
    Idk I've driven a couple of times but I don't feel comfortable with it. I suppose it gets easier with practice but it gives me the creeps. Idk why because I can ride a bike great ... maybe it's just that I'm bigger than a bike but a car is bigger than me. Lol