Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is a Driver's License a dealmaker/breaker?

Formerly the Hot One OatsCurrySummer's Avatar

Default Re: Is a Driver's License a dealmaker/breaker?

Quote Originally Posted by mirai View Post
    Really? I know tons of adults who even in Canada can't drive because they've mostly taken public transit their whole lives.
    You must be from Toronto/Vancouver then, no? I grew up in a suburb only 30 minutes drive from Toronto and it was still a bitch to take public transit to school every day (Im talking 1.5hr each way five days a week). When I got my car its like the whole world opened up. Hiking four hours north with friends? No problem. Partying until after the subways stop running? Whatever. My commute to school became a scant 35 minutes and my grades were all the better for it.

As someone who lived outside of a city both with and without my license, you don't realize how hard you had it until you can suddenly go anywhere you want, whenever you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

Quote Originally Posted by mirai View Post
    Uhh okay, interesting analogy.
    Really? I know tons of adults who even in Canada can't drive because they've mostly taken public transit their whole lives.
    Also not sure what driving has to do with teaching kids English? I'm pretty good with kids and I'm a certified babysitter and counselor. I've volunteered with children's reading programs for forever too. Those might be plusses on my application?
    What happens when there is a tsunami coming and people are scrambling to get kids to higher ground? Going to strap a couple to your bike or shield them from the wall of water with your bus pass?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Nothing would kill the JET programme faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    What happens when there is a tsunami coming and people are scrambling to get kids to higher ground? Going to strap a couple to your bike or shield them from the wall of water with your bus pass?
    spat out my coffee
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    The only time I took ALTs to my favourite sushi place they bitched about the price and two girls showed up uninvited and complained that they didn't like fish.

The coordinators who used to post here more or less said the license thing doesn't really affect your application much unless you're an alternate. If a BOE is looking for someone with a license, even if you are at the top of the upgrade list, you'll be passed over.

For anyone thinking, "should I get my license?", just get it, especially if you're planning on moving into an unknown situation in a foreign country. Maybe you won't need it, but what if you do? It's always a red flag for me when someone who lives in a country where you can get a license reasonably cheaply and easily just refuses.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Also as a buddy of mine found out, even though he put no-driving on his application, he was required to drive once he got here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

In my area there's a new JET without a license (never took driving courses etc) who has 4 schools per week. The closest one is maybe 1 km away. The furthest one is almost 10 km away. Doable on a bicycle, but not something I'd do.

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    In my area there's a new JET without a license (never took driving courses etc) who has 4 schools per week. The closest one is maybe 1 km away. The furthest one is almost 10 km away. Doable on a bicycle, but not something I'd do.
    Yeah around here the schools are fine with having JETs without licenses but some of them have some serious commutes. So you might end up having to take the bus an hour each way to school or get used to biking in any weather.

Or you could end up in a placement in which you intended to drive but find the BoE forbids ALTs from driving because 20 years ago one person had an accident.

Not mentioned, you get your pick of all those sweet JDM cars, though you will likely end up with a 15 year old kei car that would lose in a collision with a bicycle.