Thread: Anyone applying for 2018?

Default Anyone applying for 2018?

Hi!
    Does anyone still use this site...? Unsure, but I thought I'd throw this thread out there anyway. I like old school forums like this more than the format of Reddit.

I'm from Canada, applying for an ALT position in the 2018 intake. The application portal just opened and I'm starting to draft my SOP. It might be nice to have a thread to chat or swap SOPs with any fellow applicants!

Anyway, nice to meet you.

Default Re: Anyone applying for 2018?

there's still a few people around. you might be the only user applying for 2018 though. but it's still early, some more usually pop up.

2011-2013 Hokkaido alum here re-applying for the 2018 year.

Yep, I'm finally applying for 2018! Just waiting for the app to go live.

Not sure if this is "news" or not but the SAMPLE 2018 application is available here: https://jetprogramusa.org/wp-content...m-SAMPLE-1.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But sometimes ALT-sensei use hashi. I think is very subarashii. Maybe it is not real for my eyes. I must ask him if hashi is ok to use. ... So I am still very confused about hashi. I will ask again in the future everyday.

Hi to you both!
    Cranguy, how was your time in Hokkaido? What made you decide to reapply?

The Canadian app opened last week and right now I'm working towards a final draft of my personal statement. I also requested reference letters and my transcripts. I think that's all the paperwork I need...? I thought I'd need a doctor's note but apparently if you have no medical history a note is not needed until after one passes the interview. I still feel like I'm missing something, haha.

Formerly the Hot One OatsCurrySummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phthalocyanine View Post
    Also interested in this answer.
    I would consider doing JET again after this contract is up as long as I can get a different placement.
    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

Quote Originally Posted by phthalocyanine View Post
    Hi to you both!
    Honestly it was one of the most fulfilling things I've done in my life. Which is a primary reason I want to go back. I had an amazing small-town placement (in the town of Kikonai) where I got along swimmingly with my BOE and they treated me well. I'm going to try to request Kikonai again if possible.

I've been running a small online business back in the US which has gone "ok" but I underestimated the real costs of rent, insurance, etc, as a self-employed person with literally nobody to back me up. I'm paying the bills but that's about it -- no savings -- and I have that nagging feeling my life isn't going in the direction I anticipated. Not to mention my overall lifestyle (diet, exercise) was better in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by OatsCurrySummer View Post
    Also interested in this answer.
    I would consider doing JET again after this contract is up as long as I can get a different placement.
    Be aware that the rules in the US require you to wait 3 years after you have finished a contract before you can apply again.
    Last edited by cranguy; September 27th, 2017 at 02:07.
    But sometimes ALT-sensei use hashi. I think is very subarashii. Maybe it is not real for my eyes. I must ask him if hashi is ok to use. ... So I am still very confused about hashi. I will ask again in the future everyday.

US Application is live! May the force be with you all.

Can I ask is it okay to apply online just now and have the 4 application packs sent off in a couple weeks? I'm still waiting on my academic transcript and doctor's note to come back.

How are you guys structuring your SOPs? I've been writing and rewriting this thing and it's still terrible lol I think I need to go old school and brainstorm on paper... I've been out of university for a year and a half and apparently I forgot how to write...?
    Last edited by phthalocyanine; September 29th, 2017 at 01:21.

Tofugu has a really good SOP guide, imo. You might want to check that out.

I checked out Tofugu's guide and it was really helpful! I think I've written something kind of passable but I still need to go through it again and write a final draft. I've collected almost all my other paperwork though and now I'm just waiting for reference letters to arrive in the mail before I can send off the package. eek. How's your application going?