Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone applying for 2018?

Default Re: Anyone applying for 2018?

My advice, quit thinking about it.

Formerly the Hot One OatsCurrySummer's Avatar

Expect nothing and you wont be disappointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    My advice, quit thinking about it.
    Trying and failing. Advice? Disabling the auto email notification I get whenever someone replies to this thread would probably help.... haha

Quote Originally Posted by OatsCurrySummer View Post
    Expect nothing and you wont be disappointed.
    This is my general philosophy haha. Just wish I had a clue where my life was going post-July. If I weren't waiting on JET, I'd probably be applying to other career-related things rn but knowing I might possibly be in Japan is making me not want to put a ton of effort into other applications... although I guess if I had truly adopted that philosophy I'd be applying to other things anyway.. hmm.

Formerly the Hot One OatsCurrySummer's Avatar

Talking to a miserable wretch like Mothy should be enough to curb your interest in Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

Assume you've already failed and get moving on finding something else. Although rejection would suck, rejection without anything else going for you would be awful. Almost as bad as getting accepted and wasting years of your life in Japan.

I cleared my FBI background check yesterday. Holy shit that was fast compared to previous years. They have a new "electronic" system that takes a week instead of 10-12 weeks.

I'm so glad to have that out of the way. The last time I did it, I didn't get results til June, meanwhile the embassy was threatening that if I didn't turn it in, that I would be disqualified. I was a wreck that year.
    But sometimes ALT-sensei use hashi. I think is very subarashii. Maybe it is not real for my eyes. I must ask him if hashi is ok to use. ... So I am still very confused about hashi. I will ask again in the future everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by cranguy View Post
    I cleared my FBI background check yesterday. Holy shit that was fast compared to previous years. They have a new "electronic" system that takes a week instead of 10-12 weeks.

I'm so glad to have that out of the way. The last time I did it, I didn't get results til June, meanwhile the embassy was threatening that if I didn't turn it in, that I would be disqualified. I was a wreck that year.
    Ahhh, nice! Did you do it early just to get it out of the way? I thought that was something to deal with after notification of results unless you applied for early departure.

The DC embassy sent us an email this month telling us to get the ball rolling on the FBI check if we planned to get it directly from the FBI, presumably still operating under the old 10-14 week timeline. I know from being a candidate in past years that getting this thing in a timely manner was a PITA for a lot candidates, not just me.

I also personally wanted to get it out of the way ASAP.

They also noted the new electronic process but added that they didn't have any experience (since it just started last month or so) with it and said that if you are going to use that, you could probably wait until after results are announced. Slightly conflicting message, but I assume it's owing to the fact that they didn't know exactly how quick the new process is. Per the email, "This option was introduced only last week, and as such our office can make no guarantees to the speed or effectiveness of this method when compared to applying by mail or using a FBI channeler." People planning to use a channeler can still wait til after results (and pay a little more $). Honestly after seeing how quick the new FBI system is, I don't personally see the point of using a channeler.

No matter what you choose, DC said "The deadline to submit this document is in early-June."

I should clarify I only got the FBI results by email/PDF so far. I requested the paper copy as required by JET and I'm still waiting on that. It could arrive today, next week, next month, who knows! Maybe I shouldn't be too quick to praise its speed until I get that.
    Last edited by cranguy; February 25th, 2018 at 03:52.
    But sometimes ALT-sensei use hashi. I think is very subarashii. Maybe it is not real for my eyes. I must ask him if hashi is ok to use. ... So I am still very confused about hashi. I will ask again in the future everyday.

Somebody on Reddit reported getting their hard copy letter from the new electronic FBI eDO background check process today so I should also be getting mine very soon.

Also applying!

Made an account because I'm really hoping I'll get in for 2018, first time applicant in my final year of undergrad and hoping to make any connections i can just in case.

I think I remember someone at my consulate (Detroit) mentioned not worrying about getting a background check until you've heard back in some capacity, but maybe I'm just making that up

hi Rupa! I'm thinking we might hear back next week as that's when results were sent out last year... this wait is brutal lol.

For a while some consulates were saying people should get their FBI background checks early because of how long it was taking. But now I guess there's some new sort of expedited check you can request, I guess. So I believe now the recommendation is to just wait til you hear.

New Zealand applicants are hearing back right now! It's the end of Friday's business-day there, I think, so maybe Americans will hear around then too. Kinda scared because this is a bit earlier than i thought

A lot of the East Coast heard back today, from what I can tell.

Short-listed! Guess I'll probably be joining the crowd of you already over there, hope to be meeting some of the other applicants in Tokyo

Congrats Rupa!! Which consulate did you apply through? Results are still not out in Canada yet, I'm hoping for Monday or Tuesday...

Quote Originally Posted by Rupa123 View Post
    A lot of the East Coast heard back today, from what I can tell.

Short-listed! Guess I'll probably be joining the crowd of you already over there, hope to be meeting some of the other applicants in Tokyo
    congrats

Received news today that I was shortlisted too!

Congrats, see you at Tokyo Orientation!

Doesn't do O-ramas

i was shitlisted too!!