Thread: Grad School Post-JET

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Grad School Post-JET

Hey y'all. It's been a minute since I last posted in here but hopefully y'all can give me some advice.

After three years of living in my little sweaty part of Kyushu, I've decided that I will leave the JET program next summer. My next step in life is to enter graduate school. But my main concern is whether or not I should apply for Fall 2018 or wait until Spring 2019. I'm worried that if I apply for Fall 2018 and get in, that will give me a little less than a month from leaving JET to student orientation. The grad school I will hopefully attend is across the country and doesn't have campus housing so I would need to find an apartment beforehand. I wonder if I will have my shit together to get everything done in time. Do I want to rush this transition? Or should I just chill in the fall and give myself more time? The major downside to this would be that I would have to go back to living in my parent's house and probably work part-time in the family business (which I did before JET and really did not enjoy). Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Grad School Post-JET

you're getting older and have already wasted years of your life on JET. Unless you have a clear plan on how you're going to use your time to improve yourself either in terms of employability or as a human, you should opt for as little downtime as possible.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

While the tone of mothy's message was a bit rough, I absolutely agree with him. One month is actually quite a bit of time, and should be more than sufficient. You are also fogetting that the first 2-3 weeks of grad school is a lot of "learn the school" rather than topic based. Just get on with it asap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by naginataonthebrain View Post
    Hey y'all. It's been a minute since I last posted in here but hopefully y'all can give me some advice.

After three years of living in my little sweaty part of Kyushu, I've decided that I will leave the JET program next summer. My next step in life is to enter graduate school. But my main concern is whether or not I should apply for Fall 2018 or wait until Spring 2019. I'm worried that if I apply for Fall 2018 and get in, that will give me a little less than a month from leaving JET to student orientation. The grad school I will hopefully attend is across the country and doesn't have campus housing so I would need to find an apartment beforehand. I wonder if I will have my shit together to get everything done in time. Do I want to rush this transition? Or should I just chill in the fall and give myself more time? The major downside to this would be that I would have to go back to living in my parent's house and probably work part-time in the family business (which I did before JET and really did not enjoy). Thanks in advance.
    Did it in 2 weeks but that was the UK.

Thirding the other opinions, once you leave JET it really hits home what a waste of time career-wise it was. You'll want to catch up asap.