Thread: Rejected from AEON and Interac?

Default Rejected from AEON and Interac?

Hi,
    I am desperately searching for a way to get to Japan after I graduate in a month. I don't have a TEFL certificate or JLPT certification, but I have taken Japanese classes up to the N2 level. I also have a driver's license and am willing to drive in Japan. I have been on exchange in Japan for a few months before, as well as in the UK. I mentioned that in both my applications. I applied to both Interac and AEON, and both times I got rejected after the final interview stage.
    For AEON, I got to the private interview, and my recruiter even said she liked my personality. I made sure to smile the whole time and be very positive. My only request was somewhere in southern Japan, but I said I would be open to getting placed anywhere. Only 8 people got interviewed, and I was still rejected. I thought my mock lesson went really well.
    For Interac, I got to the Skype Interview, and my recruiter seemed very happy with me. She said I was very energetic in my demo lesson. I was very positive and energetic throughout the interview. She mentioned that spots for the fall were filling up, and asked if I would be willing to leave in March instead, which I agreed to. I requested Fukuoka, but said I was open to working anywhere. I got rejected from Interac, too.
    For both, I mentioned my earliest start date was June (for diploma reasons), but Interac was hiring August-December and AEON was hiring May-August anyways, so I don't know why that would affect it.
    Neither company is willing to release information, and I genuinely can't figure out why I got rejected. Both of them state that I can be in my last semester of school to apply, so I can't see that as being a huge issue.
    I applied to JET, but I screwed up the mock lesson part really badly. (I stood there pointing at stick figures and the recruiters looked really confused) So I don't think my chances of that are very good, either.
    I have an interview with Yaruki Switch Group coming up next week, and I'm really hoping to figure out what I am doing wrong by then.
    In addition, I tried applying to ECC last night and got to the point where they see they will email you the confirmation of submission, but the email never arrived. My email seems to be working. Should I try applying again, or is this a problem with the site? I have never submitted an application to them before.
    Input appreciated.
    Cheers.

Default Re: Rejected from AEON and Interac?

You sound like you really, really, REALLY want to teach English in Japan.

This is a red flag for many recruiting agencies, including JET and the others you've mentioned here. Western Japanophiles often have idealized versions of what their life will be like in Japan, and frequently do not react well when their real life is much, much different. Please don't misunderstand; I'm not saying that you're a Western Japanophile, but that you might be coming off that way.

Also, how attractive are you? It's not fair or right, but if you're unappealing in some way (appearance, weight, physical ability, fashion sense, general creepiness, etc.), this can sometimes affect your chances. Not THAT much (meeting your fellow ALTs will certainly reassure you), but it's possible that may be part of what's happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Default Re: Rejected from AEON and Interac?

If you keep falling at the demo lesson stage then it sounds like thats your biggest problem rather than words beautiful people conspiracy theory. If you have n2 then grab some of your friends who dont speak japanese and try to teach them a basic self introduction but don't use a single word of english . If after 5-10 min they look totally confused then maybe you need to work on your teaching style.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.