Thread: Staying in Japan Post-JET - Specifically as 3rd Year ALT on Final Year

Default Staying in Japan Post-JET - Specifically as 3rd Year ALT on Final Year

Hello fellow JETs and/or former JETs.

My name is Peter Dang and I am from New York City.
    I would like to talk about my issue using the clearest language and formatting as possible.

MY SITUATION:

I am currently a 3rd year ALT on the JET Program.
    At the momen, I live and work in Hachinohe City, Aomori Prefecture.
    I am in possession of a 3 year working visa that lasts until July 26th, 2018.
    Like all participants from my year, I received this 3-year visa upon landing in Japan.
    My contracting organization has set a maximum of 3 years for ALT, so this will be my final year.

Even though my JET Program contract finishes in July, I would like to continue living and working in Japan.

From what I know, there are 2 patterns within JET participants who continue staying in Japan and move onto other paths:
    (1) Stay on the JET Program for only 1 or 2 years, then use the remaining year(s) on their visa to find another job. Depending on the new job, these former JETs will change or extend their visa.
    (2) Go into their 3rd year, find a new job WHILE they are working, then break contract around March or April (ample time before the July visa expiration date). Like the previous pattern, these former JETs will change or extend their visa.

I know folks from both aforementioned patterns.
    However, if possible, I would like to stay until the end of my 3rd year contract without breaking contract (or as close to it as possible).
    However, most job postings/listings are for immediate hires, or for folks who can work within 1 or 2 months at the latest.
    Therefore, jobs that promise a July/August start on the dot this far ahea of time are very far and few in between.
    Even if I start job hunting in May/June for positions, and jobs with my desired July/August start time begin popping up, there's always the very real possibility of not being hired or getting a job offer by my visa's July expiration.
    I would like to completely eliminate the possibility of going over my stay even 1 day.

In addition, I am in a same-sex relationship with my fiance.
    I know that I cannot get a spouse visa under his name unless I am married.
    However, Japan does not yet recognize same-sex marriage, and even same-sex partnerships do not qualify for this visa.
    (Spouse visas are available for same-sex partners, provided both are foreign nationals who married in a country that recognizes same-sex marriage)

MY QUESTIONS:
    - Does a visa category, application, change, or extension that allows me to stay in Japan for the purpose of job hunting exist?
    (Or anything that gives the same effect)
    I know that international students in Japanese universities qualify for a "Designated Activities" visa for job hunting purposes after graduation.
    However, as a non-student who is staying in Japan under a working visa, does any method or loophole that permits the same purpose exist?

CONFLICTING INFORMATION:
    I've read conflicting information.
    Some people state that you have a grace period of 3 months after your work visa expires to find a new job; this period is valid even if it doesn't physically show on your residence card.
    I've also read some very scary claims that you become an illegal resident if you remain in Japan even one day after the listed expiration date on your visa; you must do some form of alteration to your visa before that happens.

I'd highly appreciate any advice or guidance anybody could offer me.

Best Regards,
    Peter Dang

Default Re: Staying in Japan Post-JET - Specifically as 3rd Year ALT on Final Year

If you leave your job but you still have time on your visa you have some time to find a new job (but you need to tell immigration almost immediately that you have left your job). Once your visa is up you have to leave the country. I would strongly advise against over staying your visa. In your situation I would either get a job for April and leave jet early, try and get a jet transfer to another town for your 4th year, try and be sneaky and apply for a visa extension well before your 3 year visa expires or roll the dice on finding a job that starts just as your jet job ends.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Default Re: Staying in Japan Post-JET - Specifically as 3rd Year ALT on Final Year

The one thing I'd add to ini's answer is that if you want to stay in the same area I think you lose the luxury of being able to wait until your contract ends to switch jobs. The likelihood of finding something in such a narrow window of time in a place like Aomori is pretty small.

Formerly the Hot One OatsCurrySummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    but you need to tell immigration almost immediately that you have left your job
    It's two weeks, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

Hello again.

@Ini
    Thank you for the clarification.
    I was able to read your posted advice from other threads.
    In the also recent "Leaving JET, but staying in Japan"), you mentioned
    You mentioned that you can get time to find a job and it is extendable if you can show that you are going to interviews.
    I'm wondering if this is applicable to me as well, and if so, in which form?

@mothy
    Thank you for the suggestion.
    There are actually several job postings in my area - many of them fall under foreign visas in some way, even if they are not traditional jobs for After-JET ALTs.
    There are some typical teaching and translation jobs available as well, but they appear and disappear.
    The problem is that many of them are looking for people who can start soon.