Thread: My JTE is awful.

Default My JTE is awful.

- deleted -
    Last edited by SareHoudai; March 21st, 2018 at 22:48. Reason: post was too self-indulgent

Default Re: My JTE is awful.

My first JTE was a bit sh*tty, too. It was really too bad; she was young and quite attractive, but was not the easiest to work with. Things will probably get better; they did for me. Eventually she left, and her replacement was awesome--younger, more attractive, fun to work with, and just an all-around far more pleasant person.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

I was so disappointed this post got deleted. Nothing better than a good rant about JTEs.

Ok I got overly self-conscious because the post was incredibly long and detailed.

Basically the bint is 900 years old, has a terrible English accent, translates absolutely everything I say and teaches 80% in Japanese.

When she asked me to do a 20 minute activity, I'd end up with 8 minutes, because her time management and explanations sucked.

Every activity ever was changed, on the fly, during the lesson, because somehow she didn't get it. Even when I drew fucking diagrams.

One time when we played Telephone Race, she just came up to me and started cutting my master clue paper into strips. It confused the shit out of me, the students, and her.

She once told me a student must have cheated because she used non-textbook (aka "stuff they haven't learned yet") in a presentation about a movie she liked. I said I had nothing to do with it. She said she must have used Google translate. She also said that if a higher learner did it it would be okay. I told her that was ridiculous, that slow learners can still surprise us, and the kid is bright but obviously doesn't do well in the testing environment of Japanese schools. I even said the whole "judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree" thing. But Japanese people don't understand metaphors, so it sailed right past her. She just sucked her teeth, pulled rank, and showed me her report card saying "no no no, the tests, the tests...". After the heated discussion she asked me if I'd stay at the school because she wanted to show me more of how they do things the Japanese way. Passive-aggressive cunt!!

My JTE is a small-minded cow. I caught her glaring at me several times in the hallway.

She grilled me about things I had no control over, like the 8th and 9th grade kids trashing the bathroom. I told her the best solution was to put a sign up. We argued over that for hours, twice, and when a sign finally went up, holy shit, the problem went away. Almost like I was right the whole fucking time.

Most of all she just treated me like a mind reader. Every class she would say "Let's go to the next," look at me, and nod. As if I fucking knew. I'd say 90% of the time, I got the lesson plan JUST as the lesson started. And it was always written in cryptic, one-two word phrases or just shitty English in general.

I was expected to teach the kids how to sing songs, something usually reserved for Communication classes, but I had to do it as a 2 minute warmup. You can't teach singing in that tiny amount of time.

Once, she asked me "Can you make an activity?"

"Sure, what for."

"... the class." *smile and wince*

... I had no words for this. She treated me like an idiot and acted as if her answer was both sufficient, and obvious.

She translated every piece of textbook material, turning them into blank, boring sheets with English on one side and Japanese on the other. We would read and repeat that again and again, interspersed with "fill in the (JAPANESE) blanks" on the right, pair reading, "read and look up" and so on. It was completely devoid of interaction, colour, pictures, and so on. We also did these really boring (and fucking easy) quizzes, with true-or-false questions and Q-and-A questions (answer with a sentence). There are a bazillion other, better ways to check comprehension and actually engage the students. It was completely lifeless. And she wondered why so many of her students were "slow." They simply weren't engaging with the textbook material in any way shape or form. It was sucked completely dry of the flimsy amount of life it even had to begin with.

Anyway. I'm off to a new school now and I don't have to deal with the bint anymore.
    Last edited by SareHoudai; March 23rd, 2018 at 07:20.

Nice one. Though don't know if I needed to hear it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    By words standards every jte I worked with was shit.
    Eh, my favorite JTE was a bizarre old man who routinely changed entire lesson plans at the last minute (like, while we were walking into the classroom or halfway through the lesson). I should send him an email; I wonder what he's up to these days. He may have succumbed to alcoholism by now, tho. Honestly, I'm surprised that you haven't, mothy.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Formerly the Hot One OatsCurrySummer's Avatar

This is the quality content we need more of here.

She asked you before the lesson to make the activity? Come back to me when she turns to you mid class and says:

"tell them"
    "tell them what?"
    "anything..."

In all seriousness while she is obviously a terrible teacher, sadly that level of uselessness is far from uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    He may have succumbed to alcoholism by now, tho. Honestly, I'm surprised that you haven't, mothy.
    It's a real failure on my part.

Doesn't do O-ramas

I worked in a real crappy marine technical high school where nobody gave a fuck. Yet, I had two great JTEs there - one guy who was about 50 at the time who was from Kyoto and would say, "such boring place!" about it and who spent 20 years living in Tokyo and once was in Tokyo at the same time as me around xmas and called me and asked me if I wanted to go to some 'interesting places to keep secret from work' which I stupidly declined because I was busy getting drunk with a haafu from LA, and the other young JTE who I taught the phrases "pinch a roaf" and "take a clap" to who used them with students and would then laugh a lot every time he said it while his eyes were like 75 degrees apart all oogly googly. Naturally, they both got transferred away.

Made up for all the other utter shithouse JTEs I had.

That's actually an awesome story, puma. Best I can walk away with are all the times I got asked, "Could you make a activity", "Sure! What for?" "... the class."