Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: English Textbook insanity

Default English Textbook insanity

Admins forgive me if this thread has been done before but I'm wanting to hear about people's experience with insane Japanese textbooks.

We use Total English (JHS) in my town and though it isn't that bad, it's far from perfect. The English is often a little... clinical. Each text is paired with "new words" which are baffling. One of the final texts in the 3rd year textbook has "man" as a new word, along with "dying". They already should know these words. And then oftentimes more obscure words and such are left out of the "new words" area. There are pronunciation guides that use IPA notation but none of the kids can read that, unless the teacher actually teaches it (rare af).

The videos and audio recordings of course use the same voice actors they use for every government-sponsored textbook. I don't know who these lifers are but they are on fucking everything, from High Friends right through. I know they use vocaloids too, so it's a bounce between serene-sounding robots and cringe.

I've been told that Total English is terrible, but by the same token, the alternatives (New Horizon and Oh no! My cola! spring to mind). I know that it's a little clinical, not exactly how I would stage an English curriculum (some things are gradually introduced and then they're talking about statistics and percentages completely out of fuckin left field). And the True-or-False/Q&A questions used to check comprehension are crap. We were told to stay away from that format at a skills conference but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ the fuck can I do.

Anyone else have experience with Total English? Tell me what your textbooks are like. They're bloody awful as far as I can tell.

Default Re: English Textbook insanity

We use Sunshine here, sad we didn't get the waifu textbook. It is pretty bad.

You got examples tho? Tell me how insane it gets.

Is Blue Planet still around? I remember really hating that book when I was on JET.

We got a preview of the new ES books at a skills training conference earlier this year and it was laughably bad. They had a nice idea - put videos on an interactive website! But whoever executed basically pulled his local ALTs, family, and randoms off the street for the poorly shot, poorly directed, poorly everything videos. I couldn't be sure what was worse, the feeling that it was all done on camcorder or the glaringly obvious lack of audio engineering. The whole room snickered at it while the Tokyo representative smiled and likely didn't understand why (sarcasm and making fun of authority is alien to the Japanese). Then, the "giving directions" video turned up and the entire room burst into laughter when the person giving directions gave the completely wrong answer in response to the question.

Sunshine has the strangest chapter subjects, off the top of my head- the history of vegetables, how Turkey and Japan became best buds, a Kagoshima tourism ad, and bunch of save the environment chapters.

Which is the textbook in which a character dies from cancer?? And I thought the weird story about Nishioka Keiji going off to save people in Bhutan was odd and out of left field.

The last chapter of Sunshine is about how a girl's dad dies of cancer and she sends a teddy bear around the world in his place.

Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    The last chapter of Sunshine is about how a girl's dad dies of cancer and she sends a teddy bear around the world in his place.
    What the actual fuck, Japan?

Formerly the Hot One OatsCurrySummer's Avatar

Ummm...take a look at the new ES textbook. There is a character named NUTTONY and his dialogue is "Do you like nuts? I like delicious nuts."
    You can't make this shit up.
    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

i mean the old one had the balls chant

When I started the JHS textbooks were talking about this new thing called the "internet". apparently you can use your telephone line to communicate with computers in foreign lands....
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Formerly the Hot One OatsCurrySummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    When I started the JHS textbooks were talking about this new thing called the "internet". apparently you can use your telephone line to communicate with computers in foreign lands....
    You absolute fossil.

Last year's high level essays (provision) removed from this year:

An Abundant Well that Never Runs Dry, The Miracle of Fermentation, Shedding Tears for my Patients, Inspired by Nature, Finding the Real Santas Claus, Is the Internet Making us Stupid?
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

O I forget everyone's fave, the Ueno Zoo elephants slowly dying.

The story in the book fails to mention that they were killed for no reason and most of the other animals in the zoo were brutally slaughtered in a variety of ways. And that they built a "memorial" to all the animals they killed while the elephants were still slowly starving to death.

Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    The story in the book fails to mention that they were killed for no reason and most of the other animals in the zoo were brutally slaughtered in a variety of ways. And that they built a "memorial" to all the animals they killed while the elephants were still slowly starving to death.
    It really says something when you're desperately searching for a story which makes you seem like the victims of the war but you can't even relay a story about a few animals without having to censor the details...