Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: English Textbook insanity

Default Re: English Textbook insanity

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    yeah, but you can install it to the server if you want rather than having to go around and install it on every classroom computer.
    I wish. Unfortunately there's archaic policies in place (in my school) that mean digital textbooks can't be copied to the server.

I don't know why I never noticed this before but when I was taking foreign language in school the books that had a "story" were based in a country where that language was used or if they didn't they talked about a country using their language. Meanwhile in Japan almost everything is about Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    I don't know why I never noticed this before but when I was taking foreign language in school the books that had a "story" were based in a country where that language was used or if they didn't they talked about a country using their language. Meanwhile in Japan almost everything is about Japan.
    Yep.

Do you use the New Horizon books at your school? They sort of excuse the unusual diversity of the main characters by explaining they attend an international school.

However, I don’t understand wtf they were thinking when they made a sub-plot about the students going to visit Chinatown in Japan... to meet the white American brother of the white American ALT... to have him explain Chinese culture to the students because he happens to be working part-time at a Chinese restaurant. I guess that was the only way they could justify talking about Chinese culture in Japan using English?

Formerly the Hot One OatsCurrySummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ebi View Post
    Yep.

Do you use the New Horizon books at your school? They sort of excuse the unusual diversity of the main characters by explaining they attend an international school.

However, I don’t understand wtf they were thinking when they made a sub-plot about the students going to visit Chinatown in Japan... to meet the white American brother of the white American ALT... to have him explain Chinese culture to the students because he happens to be working part-time at a Chinese restaurant. I guess that was the only way they could justify talking about Chinese culture in Japan using English?
    Can't have an actual Chinese restaurant worker one-upping Saki and Kota in English, now can we?
    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

Yep.

I liked the 'lets go to the UK for a 2 day 3 night vacation.' The "Dolphin Tale" unit, on the other hand... well pretty much all of New Horizon 3 is pretty trash after the first unit.

I don’t understand wtf they were thinking when they made a sub-plot about the students going to visit Little Delhi in Osaka... to meet the white British lover of the white American ALT... to have him explain Indian culture to the students because he happens to be working part-time at a Indian restaurant. I guess that was the only way they could justify talking about Indian culture in Japan using English?
    Leave Frap out of this.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

This is why you end up with students sending off Uni applications saying they want to learn English "to help foreign people during the Olympics". What else would you use the global language for? Going to another country?

I was just imagining how funny it would be if my high school latin textbook had been written in the same style. Having ancient Roman exchange students would be cool though.

That's funny, I was just imagining how funny it would be if high school teachers didn't teach English like it was a dead language.

"No one really knows how English was spoken and you'll only need it to translate obscure texts from an Alien culture, so just learn all these obscure grammatical terms and you'll be set."

Even my Latin classes had more speaking practice than the English classes here, similar teaching method though.

That's funny, I was just imagining how funny it would be if high school teachers didn't teach English like it was a dead language.

"No one really knows how English was spoken and you'll only need it to translate obscure texts from an Alien culture, so just learn all these obscure grammatical terms and you'll be set."
    But how else can they make tests for students if they don’t distill everything down to fill-in-the-blank grammar/vocab or translation activities? You don’t actually expect teachers to know enough English to be able to administer qualitatative speaking and writing tests with ambiguous answers, do you??

I can't believe I'm saying it, but I miss my old JTE so much. He had really high expectations, and I spent the better part of two years losing sleep trying to earn his approval, but he was a damn good teacher and actually gave a damn about methodology (and was kind enough to throw a few TEFL books my way). These days, I can see the light leaving my students' eyes with each passing day...it makes me a little sad.
    That's the best thing about having books on your phone etc. You can read without having to be self-conscious of what you're reading
    We're in a country where salarymen read doraemon on the train, I wouldn't worry either way.

But how else can they make tests for students if they don’t distill everything down to fill-in-the-blank grammar/vocab or translation activities? You don’t actually expect teachers to know enough English to be able to administer qualitatative speaking and writing tests with ambiguous answers, do you??
    I don't understand. I taught them a textbook and then tested that they had memorized it. What else is there to think about?

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Leave Frap out of this.
    LOLOLOL

Not straight up textbook, but 2/3 of the JTEs I work with think that Japan is the only country where there's 7 colors in the rainbow...

Not straight up textbook, but 2/3 of the JTEs I work with think that Japan is the only country where there's 7 colors in the rainbow...
    This truly be the land of ~ * 特 別 な 雪 片 * ~

And 100% of people here think Japan is the only place with 4 seasons.

And 100% of people here think Japan is the only place with 4 seasons.
    Mmm yes...verily, Canada has naught but two seasons: winter and construction.

The weather here is always terrible, the only thing that changes is the temperature.