Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Applying for 2019

Default Re: Applying for 2019

So, after doing a stint from 2011 to 2016, and coming back and up-skilling a bit (took on a MA TESOL, should finish in a few months), and doing some conversation practice classes with local NESB migrants, I figured I'd apply again for 2019. And...I didn't even make the interview stage.

Which seems kind of weird. I'm pretty sure everything was in order, the SoP wasn't awful as far as I can tell (probably emphasised the Teaching bit over the Exchange bit a bit much), I had references from a previous supervisor and Kouchou Sensei, etc.
    It's not a huge big deal - sort of a plus in some ways - but it's a bit confusing to get offered an interview as an 'I've got a BA Phil/Comms and think Japan is cool' fresh-out-of-university kid and not to get one as a 'have done the job before, am better qualified than back then, and was there for the previous Elementary school Foreign Language Activities stuff introduction which might come in handy for the 2020 Let's English in Elementary School new system'.

I got an interview.

congrats. Get yourself a suit if you don't have one already.

Thank you. Luckily I already have some suits due to my current part-time job where I have to wear them.

Cool. I'm just trying to head off the what should I wear to my interview thread this year. I like to think we're smarter than reddit around here, but every year someone proves me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Ode to a Grasshopper View Post
    So, after doing a stint from 2011 to 2016, and coming back and up-skilling a bit (took on a MA TESOL, should finish in a few months), and doing some conversation practice classes with local NESB migrants, I figured I'd apply again for 2019. And...I didn't even make the interview stage.

Which seems kind of weird. I'm pretty sure everything was in order, the SoP wasn't awful as far as I can tell (probably emphasised the Teaching bit over the Exchange bit a bit much), I had references from a previous supervisor and Kouchou Sensei, etc.
    It's not a huge big deal - sort of a plus in some ways - but it's a bit confusing to get offered an interview as an 'I've got a BA Phil/Comms and think Japan is cool' fresh-out-of-university kid and not to get one as a 'have done the job before, am better qualified than back then, and was there for the previous Elementary school Foreign Language Activities stuff introduction which might come in handy for the 2020 Let's English in Elementary School new system'.
    meant to reply to this but forgot and never did. honestly I wouldn't have given you an interview either. You spent 5 years in a program that has no future and is really intro level teaching abroad, then got more education to make yourself even more qualified and you apply for... an intro level job with no future. Am I missing something? If I'm looking at that I think this guy is delusional or just using JET to get a visa so he can try to move quickly into a job with a future in Japan.
    I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're the latter. Sounds like you're still in touch with former coworkers. All my jobs post JET have come from people recommending me for something. Let them know you're looking for work and apply for any job postings online you find that look interesting. If all you say about yourself is true, you shouldn't need JET.

Old timer here too - for all my moans about living in BFI, those five years changes my life in ways I couldn't have even imagined to begin with (good ways!).

Go for it.