Thread: My JET application 2019 (Aus)

Default My JET application 2019 (Aus)

Hi guys

Been browsing the forum for a day very interesting stuff, had a few questions if anyone has the time to answer.

Firstly, I was wondering how pedantic the JET application is, for my date of birth here in Australia on the application form they have it set out in Japanese format. But, all dates I have listed such as work experience and cultural experience dates have been in the Australian date system (dd/mm/yyyy). Was wondering if I should universally just change it all to Japanese date format or keep it in Australian format (I know a bit silly to worry about).

Secondly, I have finished a SOP which I have been going over several time (keep changing it). And wonder how good it is, I mention my exchange experience to Japan and the opportunities I had to teach English as well as my ability to cope with culture shock and existing support networks in Japan. Do you think this is good, or have I missed some criteria completely?

Thanks, any feedback would be appreciated.

Default Re: My JET application 2019 (Aus)

First point, unless told otherwise I would keep everything how it's done in your country. The application and interview is done there, so they're well aware of your country's systems and can't expect every qualified applicant to understand how it's done in Japan.

Second, do you answer why Japan/JET and what you think you'll get from the experience and bring to the experience? If so, you've probably nailed it. I tend to think people overthink the SoP. I really haven't noticed any acceptance ratio difference between the people who stress over it and the people who piece something together at the last second. As long as you don't say something that makes you look completely ridiculous like, I feel like I'm Japanese already and can't wait to live the rest of my life among my true people, it's fine.

Thank you for the reply, awesome. I think my SOP will be fine then, I will send away my application tomorrow. Just hope I get an interview at the least.

Best of luck!