Thread: computer boffins

Default computer boffins

hey all

well i have suggestion--i know nothing about computers---as some of u have already had the pleasure of experiencing----so tell me to fack off i im being ridiculous

do you think we could have a big map of japan and ppl can 'PIN" where they are so we can get the bigger picture and see where everyone is in relation to ourself

well that is my suggestion..i would not have a faintest idea on how to do it or even if you can
    but matt and paul get to work ,,this is your new task
    hehe

kell

That's a really good idea, Kell! It doesn't even have to be a pretty map, it could just be like a little database and you add your name in the appropriate place.

Although a map would be better!

Would this be possible, oh site overlords?
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

VIP

Yeah, its been my intention to do this, from back when we had Yahoo.

Paul: Think we should merge this with the "find your predecessor" system someone else suggested?

As to how to do it.... umm... I'll think about it for a bit...

Matt
    Mabushiii!!!

sounds groovy, top idea. my, u boys are clever with this computer stuff..

a map with pins! woah!

VIP

How about a map of japan, with prefecture borders marked, and the total number of members i each pref displayed. Clicking on the prefecture brings up the members names / profile links etc...

?
    Mabushiii!!!

I think that would be really cool, Matt.

Just an idea of who is living in the same prefecture would be great! And maybe people could add their details to it, like address, phone number, email, etc., depending on how much they want to give out.

Sorry for asking for more, but would it be possible to have a little message board for each prefecture to make announcements, e.g 'party at my place on Saturday, bring coke.'?
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

At least in hokkaido, you get a map with names of all the jets on in beside their town. As well as a directory of every JET in the prefecture, their location, year, e-mail, phone, etc.

VIP

I could probably do something pretty simple with rollovers. So hovering over a prefecture displays the names below, or something...
    Mabushiii!!!

Using the areas was great because it would have been silly to have so many forums! But now we know where we are it would be great to have more detailed info of people near us.

VIP

More boards would be silly, but if you like, I guess a sticky "Announcements" topic could be created for each prefecture inside their relevent Region board.
    Mabushiii!!!

VIP

Right. Progress.

I've fixed the broken stuff. I ditched the index idea, and the lookup array. Im just using a straight string.

As far as i see, everything now works for placement prefecture, including searching and viewing profiles.

I've uploaded a simple map to www.ithinkimlost.com/map/index.html
    Only Hokkaido and Fukuoka work at the moment, but if you look at the HTML, im sure you can see what I've done. I'll try and add the prefecture totals to the map, but that will be tricky. For now, its just an easy way to find the people in each prefecture.

Anyway, im off to bed now.

Matt
    Mabushiii!!!

I really like your map, Matt, it looks very stylish! Would there be a way to make the name of each prefecture pop up when you roll over it?

Will this be going on the front page when it's finished?

VIP

Uh, it does pop up. Read the little yellow text thingie. But i know what you mean. next step will be a proper rollover jobbie.

Matt
    Mabushiii!!!

Is the map finished yet? I assume there will be a link to it on the front page when it is.

Sorry to pester you! I really like it, by the way, you've made it look very stylish.

VIP

Hmm... well, it's probably not "finished" as such, in the way most of my projects are never quite "finished". It's ready for linking though (Paul?)

It's fully working(ish) and accessible from
    www.ithinkimlost.com/map though, so knock yourself out!

Matt

PS. I finish work soon, and i may eventually get bored out of my skull and snaz it up. Or i might do it in Japan where im even more likely to be bored out of my skull on occasion.
    Mabushiii!!!

Excellent! Thanks, guys!

do you need any devel help/assistance/grunt work did?
    Who's your user, program?

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamis
    PS. I finish work soon, and i may eventually get bored out of my skull and snaz it up. Or i might do it in Japan where im even more likely to be bored out of my skull on occasion.
    Good, I expect a rotatable 3D map that allows you to zoom in on any part of Japan and see what's happening at any given time. And it allows you to control your apartment's heating and water, etc.