Thread: Teaching Aids

Default Teaching Aids

my not-my-pred suggested to me that I bring some teaching aids. What are some ideas you guys have come up with for teaching aids that you are going to bing with you (so I can steal them, please).

Maps of your country, coins, postcards, photos, these are really great for your self introduction, which you will do a zillion times or so. But when it comes do to teaching from the text book you can make your own teaching aids at school.

I've read elsewhere from JET's already abroad that CD-ROMS with Clip Art helps immensely with preparing visual aids and such... unless you already have an artistic vein - then you can draw your own pictures!

oooo that sounds like a good idea, a clip art cd... keep the ideas coming, i want to be ready!!

Yeah I think I posted that somewhere, definitely those CDs which have like 10,000+ cliparts. Otherwise you'll spend most of your time looking for decent clipart from the web.

Hi guys,

I like this thread....i could do with learning about teaching aids. Infact I could do with learning anything about teaching tactics, methods, lesson plans, backup plans etc...

Where can I get a clip-art CD from?

Thanks peeps,
    Brin

Hi,

I've been told that the lesson/presentation you will do the most is your introduction. (My pred has done it nearly 50 times!)

You need pics of your home, town (inc. stuff it may be famous for), family members, pets etc. I'll also bring pictures of my school; the one I work at (for next 2 days anyway!) and my old secondary school.

Japanese kids are (apparently) keen to learn about what kids in your home country like. Maybe some comics, cartoons, pictures of pop stars etc? Whether this would be part of your intro I don't know?)

It is really nice to have stuff to pass around and show the kids, but one thing I would recommend if you do have stuff to pass around it to wait 'til you have finished speaking as it will distract them away from what you are saying!

One person has recomended doing a quiz with questions about your home etc. (to make sure they've been listening!)

A powerpoint presentation would be great. Or some interactive stuff for a whiteboard. That way all you need to bring is a disk. I don't know how well resourced schools are on ICT equipment though. (ie a projector and / or interactive whiteboard)

I'd like to get the kids to write their names (in English!) and tell me something about themselves too, but I'm not sure how far I'll get on this one!

As for any other resources, it is really difficult to plan for as you don't know what you are going to be teaching. You can't go planning lessons when you don't know the kids and it is not your own class anyway!

Hope this helps!

hannah X

PS Brin, Are you the Brin I sat next to in London Orientation language lessons?!! If so 'Chotto tsugo ga warui desu'!
    Over-optimism modest chocolate and a soft marshmallow lead you in elegant tea time.

Fortunately when I was student teaching last year, I took a bunch of stock photos of the school that I was going to use as background for my comics, but now I can use them in my intro. I'm going to go take more pictures of my city tommorrow (for me, and for my intro).

Differnt types of clipart (Royalty free) can be found in Web site start up kits. Html goodies that sort of thing. Quite a few of mine I got from magazines. Expert Software and Printmaster also has a good selection. Just make sure they are .gif. or .jpg files.
    Profanity: The last refuge of the limited intellect.