Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introductions

Default Introductions

I figured this is the time of year to share ideas for introductions. I'm pretty well covered for the really young kids (1-4 in shugakko) and the older kids (2-3 chugakko) who I'll be teaching, but I am having a rough time with an idea for the intermediates (5-6 shugakko, 1 chugakko). For each group of kids, I want to have two levels of activity: one for my introduction, and one for them to do an introduction. I am a one-shot with about 30 different schools so I will probably need these activities to last me through October.

Here's what I've got so far:

1-4 Shugakko:

Part 1* I made a coloring sheet about myself. Essentially it is a collage of things that "represent" me. It is divided into four sections (from the bottom left, moving clockwise): a drawing of me anime style, saying both "Hello! My name is Cynthia" and "Konnichiwa! Watashi no namae wa Shinshia desu." Then is a section on "Things I Like"/ "Kore ga suki desu." Next is "Where I'm from"/"Koko kara kimashita." The fourth section is "My University"/ "Watashi no daigaku." Since all of the pictures/ clip art I used were copied in black and white, this sheet can be colored.

Part 2* I found a blank person "All About Me" coloring sheet at Crayola.com. The idea is that you use the body template to draw yourself. I want to ask the students to "introduce" themselves to me by drawing what they look like and drawing pictures of things they like, etc.

5-6 Shugakko, 1 Chugakko:

Part 1* I'm stuck.

Part 2* Microphone game. I am going to make a cardboard "microphone" and use it to play something like hot potato. However, when the music stops, you have to introduce yourself. I'm actually not so sure about this for the shogakko-ers even at the higher levels. This is only a loose idea now. Any ideas for music to play during hot potato at these levels would be appreciated!

2-3 Chugakko:

Part 1* Betting Game- students guess they answers to questions about me before they hear my introduction. Students answer one question at a time and "bet" on whether or not they think they are right. Then the question is answered and they keep a running total of their money. I was recommended that this activity would probably work best in pairs so the students don't get too shy about betting!

Part 2* Interview Game/ "Killer"- All students put their heads down. One person who gets tapped on the back is the "Killer." Students get up and walk around the room introducing themselves to each other. At the end of the introduction, the students have to shake hands. If the "Killer" shakes your hand, then he/she also surreptitiously scratches the inside of your wrist. If you get scratched, then you have to count to 20 (silently) and then "die." This goes on until somebody figures out who the Killer is before they get scratched.

I got most of these ideas from the Tokyo Orientation. The coloring sheet and drawing activities for lower shogakko are my own. If anyone has any experience with these games/ advice/ other ideas/ etc. please share!
    "Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction." ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Killer - I've posted that same game on here already! (only it's called "Sandman")

I guess it's possible for two people to have the same idea, but I'm interested to know who presented it at Tokyo! They got it off me, I know it! :twisted:

Anyway, good luck with that game.. I find boys and girls will not co-operate together! They just separate and stop introducing themselves to each other - little buggers!

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah
    Killer - I've posted that same game on here already! (only it's called "Sandman")

I guess it's possible for two people to have the same idea, but I'm interested to know who presented it at Tokyo! They got it off me, I know it! :twisted:

Anyway, good luck with that game.. I find boys and girls will not co-operate together! They just separate and stop introducing themselves to each other - little buggers!
    The guy that presented it in Tokyo was named Michael and he teaches in Akita, I think. Now that I think about it, I do remember seeing your post. Sandman is a nicer name. I have included a lot of ideas from this forum in my ideas binders for elementary and jhs.

I think I might need a backup for Killer/Sandman. *sigh*
    "Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction." ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery

ok so its only two days to go til the first class and having spent the last month in my boe making stuff to pass the time i realised today that although i have a fair bit for my junior high im slightly lacking in ideas to keep elementary 5th and 6th graders occupied.
    Like the sandman idea but was wondering if anyone has any other introduction related games to entertain the too cool for school bunch!

seem to be having brain meltdown 8O so any input would be great!!
    cheers
    V x

How about Hello?

You have to say Hello but you have to use a different word for Hello everytime. If you use a word that someone has already used then you are out. You Start with Hello, Hi, Howdy, How are ya? Yo Ect.

Profanity: The last refuge of the limited intellect.

Now with 25% less sugar! Auburn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah

We used to play that game back home when I was in elementary/junior high, especially drama classes.

We called it Murder and the point was to die in the most horrible way possible, getting us to use our bodies and voices to express emotion.

Nishiazai-cho, Shiga-ken ---> California, USA

Quote Originally Posted by kristybruce
    We called it Murder and the point was to die in the most horrible way possible, getting us to use our bodies and voices to express emotion.
    yeah but japanese kids wont do that
    You got the BFG 9000...Oh yes!!

You know now that i think about it...im kinda at a loss as to what i can do to introduce myself to my elem students....ill see each school everyother week...im gonna show them pix of different things about me and try to explain what i like to do, who i am, what i want to be....but im at a loss for a game to play with them about this...i gotta teach them in 2 days!!! can anyone help?

Quote Originally Posted by Doomer
    You know now that i think about it...im kinda at a loss as to what i can do to introduce myself to my elem students....ill see each school everyother week...im gonna show them pix of different things about me and try to explain what i like to do, who i am, what i want to be....but im at a loss for a game to play with them about this...i gotta teach them in 2 days!!! can anyone help?
    Feel free to use my coloring sheet idea! That should do the trick for the little 'uns.

I had a brain flash today about what to do with the older elem kids and ichinenseis in jhs! I am creating Alphabet flashcards, except they are an "About Me" Alphabet. Basically I am using each letter to represent something about me. Here's what I got:

A: autumn, my favorite season
    B: brothers, I have 3
    C: cats, favorite animal
    D: December, month of my birthday
    E: Eric, my husband
    F: Florida, my state
    G: Gators, my uni mascot
    H: Hello Kitty, my fave Sanrio character
    I: ice cream, fave food
    J: Japan, just cause
    K: karaoke, I love it!
    L: listening to music (every Japanese kid seems to say this in their self introduction!)
    M: mountains
    N: name, My name is Cynthia!
    O: origami, I love it!
    P: photography, my hobby
    Q: quilting
    R: reading
    S: sushi, fave Japanese food
    T: Twenty-three, my age
    U: USA
    V: video games, another hobby
    W: writing letters
    X:
    Y: yoga
    Z:

If anyone has suggestions for X and Z, please post! I am decorating the flashcards with photos/illustrations/stickers/etc. to make them nice and self explanatory. All of the writing is in caps. Hopefully I can figure out how to laminate them!

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia
    If anyone has suggestions for X and Z, please post!
    X: X-ray, something about Japan that worries me...

Z: Zebra, everyone likes zebras
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Quote Originally Posted by dobharrison
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia
    If anyone has suggestions for X and Z, please post!
    X: X-ray, something about Japan that worries me...

Z: Zebra, everyone likes zebras
    Yah if I get desperate, then I will probably have to go there...

Yeah i thought about your coloring sheet idea but i dont draw very well...its a good idea as is the ABC thing ill have to use that when i teach the ABCs to my elem students!!! I found a Sumo game on genkienglish.com, its a killer site check it sometime!!, and i think im gonna use that somehow....thanks for the ideas though...if anyone has anything else let me know!!

You know what? I opted to go with the coloring sheet!! Thanks for the idea Cynth ill let you know how it turns out!!

You could use a dart game (One of those magnet or rubber tipped ones.) Put questions on the dart board and whichever one they hit is the question they get to ask.

Profanity: The last refuge of the limited intellect.

thanks for the different suggestions guys - fingers crossed here goes - my first ever classes with the little monsters - i just hope i still have some hair left to pull out at the end of the day. good luck to all the rest of you!
    V x

hey Cyth...that coloring sheet idea was great!!! I just got done giving it to all my students and they absolutely ate it up!!! Thanks!! it saved my ass and they had a real good time!!

I just got back from my first intro classes of the term; tried out a few things from the Tokyo orientation, including the betting game Cynthia described - that was with 2-nen-sei and it was VERY labour intensive! Just as a warning to anyone about to try it, the concept of betting took a fair bit of explaining from my JTE, who, when I ran the game by her an hour before the class, looked a bit apprehensive... And this after another teacher I worked with gave it the ok and actually told me she thought Shogakko 6-nen-sei would be able to do it!

It was ok in the end, but the kids didn't get as competitive and excited about it as I'd hoped; maybe it's more suited to SHS.

But, I used the same kind of concept for a simplified, upper Sho-gakko level game, which I actually reckon would be good for JHS too. It's just true or false questions that will tie in nicely with your self-intro, with a few things there are no clues for and they have to guess outright. Make some printouts of the T/F statements, with some illustrations to give clues and brighten them up, and get the students to work in small groups. Went down really well. If you have a small enough class - I'm talking inaka here, like 6 students or thereabouts, you can play them vs the teacher! For each right answer they get a point, for each wrong one you get one.

Thanks for the warning im gonna use that game...but it seemed to bowl over well with my sup and he said the kids would enjoy it.....ill have to start looking for a back up plan though...

Quote Originally Posted by TomB
    How about Hello?

You have to say Hello but you have to use a different word for Hello everytime. If you use a word that someone has already used then you are out. You Start with Hello, Hi, Howdy, How are ya? Yo Ect.

Yo?????? Why don't you just encourage them to become male prostitutes?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomer
    hey Cyth...that coloring sheet idea was great!!! I just got done giving it to all my students and they absolutely ate it up!!! Thanks!! it saved my ass and they had a real good time!!
    Glad I could help.