Thread: 2 References from same place

Default 2 References from same place

Hi everyone, I'm reapplying to JET after getting turned down last year and I'm looking to correct mistakes in my past. After I applied last year I discovered that one of my letters of recommendation was just horrible. It was written by my Japanese language professor and had broken english and was just plain bad. So I'm thinking having a recommendation like that hindered my chances. In order to remedy that situation I'm trying to be careful in who I choose to write my recommendations this year. My question is, do you guys know if it's frowned upon if I were to get 2 recommendations from 2 supervisors at my former place of employment? I used to work at the Career Center at school and I got to know some of the counselors. Not much, but definitely more than my current employer. I'm just not sure if it looks bad to have recommendations from the same place just two different people. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.

just get the jap bloke to write it in japanese instead of english.
    bish bash bosh, problem solved
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Nishiazai-cho, Shiga-ken ---> California, USA

Yeah, Ini has a good point...I dont think it would be a good idea to get 2 refs from essentially the same source...I say go with Inis idea...
    You got the BFG 9000...Oh yes!!

Default Re: 2 References from same place

How did you get ahold of your reference letter to read it after the fact?

Quote Originally Posted by rotkopf
    How did you get ahold of your reference letter to read it after the fact?
    He could have asked the person for it...or maybe had the ref print him out a copy and not put it in an envelope?

Quote Originally Posted by Doomer
    He could have asked the person for it...or maybe had the ref print him out a copy and not put it in an envelope?
    That makes sense. I was just wondering if JET had returned his packet to him for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by rotkopf
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomer
    That makes sense. I was just wondering if JET had returned his packet to him for some reason.
    I can gurantee that didnt happen!!

Thanks for the info. I don't think I can go back to my Japanese Professor the thing is that she wrote it in English but it was really broken. I don't know how to tell her that it was a bad recommendation without seeming rude. So I guess I'll have to take my chances with two recs from the same place. Thanks again.

I got a hold of the recommendation because she showed it to me before she sealed it up and everything. It was nice of her but the damage had already been done, that's why I'm trying to apply early so I'm not faced with a deadline and a bad rec.

I recommend everyone see a copy of their references before sending them off!

(My two referees - head teachers at schools I had worked in, both showed me first to ask if they were alright!) Gives you a boost when you see what nice things people write about you too!!
    Over-optimism modest chocolate and a soft marshmallow lead you in elegant tea time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah
    I recommend everyone see a copy of their references before sending them off!
    Nice idea, but not always possible. One of my references was from my old uni tutor, who was on the other side of the planet!
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"