Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: untitled thread

Default untitled thread

??

If you hide them in the interview and wind up over here, expect to tape em to your head for the duration of your contract. Not a great idea.

Keep the plugs and internationalize the bastards.

There are a small number of people on Jet with nonconservative stuff like that going on. I think I saw a guy at orientation this year who had (although smaller than 1") plugs. And some people are so ugly you'd mistake em for body-moded freaks at any rate.

It all depends on how you sell it. Play your cards right and your ears could be quite the asset.

I agree; I wouldn't try to hide it. Say it's an important part of your culture/individuality or something and use it as an advantage.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

I doubt they'd boot you for that. I've seen JETs with plenty of obvious piercings, and I really don't think it's that big of a deal.

If you get the job, the kids might go a lil nuts though. Maybe it's just cause I'm in the country, but my tragus piercing gets all kinds of gawks and comments. Too bad I just took out my cartilage piercings--that would really get 'em in a tizzy!
    "Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction." ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I'd go with it. It's not like they have a stereotype gaijin look for the JET programme! If they wanted that, they could supply us with the gaijin costume from Tokyu hands (big nose and blue eyes!) when we arrive at orientation!

You might find though you are over qualified. Be careful selling yourself in your essay. Too much good stuff gets em nervous!

You are better than me in every way imaginable. You have a picture of yourself, covered in blood, holding a knife with a menacing smile on your face. The pictures you took in Japan are far better than mine. My day, needless to say, has been ruined.

On topic though, I’d say go with the plugs. No use misrepresenting yourself. But then again, I really have no factual information to base this opinion on.

cheers paul.

just say it's for religious reasons and that you feel it would help you be a better cultural ambassador as it will be a talking point.

when in reality people here will talk about it and you behind your back. but they do that with everyone anyway so not much change there!
    "could you use a slave, you hairy bunch of Ishmolites?"
    www.oitajets.com

Quote Originally Posted by jermlab
    is there a written rule somewhere about no piercings in the JET "manual" if such a thing exists?
    Nothing that I've seen says that. The only requirement, I think, is that you look 'professional' and smart. I guess it all comes down to your interview, but as long as you look smart and keen I'd be surprised if it was a big problem.

Being in Japan may be a different story, though. I'd hope that CLAIR wouldn't place you where there would be a problem, but I don't have that much trust in the placement procedures! In a city like Hiroshima, people would see it as cool, but in some more rural places...

ETA that saying it's for religious or spiritual reasons may be a very good idea. Those reasons will probably be accepted a lot more readily in Japan.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Just a chime in here, as I am going through the application process as well as my buddy Scott, and he has visible tattoos (nothing too extreme) on his wrists and the back of his right hand. He emailed the consulate general here in Calgary with concerns about his tattoos, and they replied saying that as long as he dressed professionally and conducted himself in a professional manner, body modification doesn't affect things. Basically, the CG said that it's about attitude and willingness to learn and share
    Current application status to 2006-07: Withdrawn because of family reasons

That's good to hear and it makes sense. Tattooing and body piercing are important parts of some cultures.

One of my friends here has a noticable nose piercing. She's not shoving a huge rock in it or anything, but she does keep a pretty modes stud in there all the time at school. I'm pretty certain she had it during her interview as well.

If you can make the plugs look like they'd be fit for an office, go for it. If you're willing to be hidden while at work, then cover it up.

It's different to having a tattoo because tattoos have a stronger stigma here and a tattoo that's normally under clothing is.. well under clothing while you're at work.

Basically it's your call. If you're still having trouble making a judgement call, why not call up your consulate before you apply.. they'll never remember your name at this point and you can probably ask away. Beware tho, they're gonna be vague as hell.
    It is a solidly built word of just four letters, bracketed by rock-hard consonants. It ... explodes into space from a gate formed by the upper incisors and the lower lip. Then it slams to a dramatic glottal cough.

Tattoos in Japan were traditionaly used by the yakuza and historicaly have had a bad image. Recently though they have become kind of trendy among the youth there. So unless you're an old Japanese guy who is missing a finger I doubt it will be an issue.

Read about the interview process and you'll see alot of difference between peoples experiences. Saying you're ears are like that because of some religion my fly with some people and not with others. You don't really have any control over who interviews you. The best thing to do is just be honest about everything we can. Interviewing hundreds of people can give someone the ability to spot bullshit.

In the end, no matter what you say about them, some interviewers will care and some won't, like most of the process the interview seems to depend alot on luck. Nobody seems to have any kind of clear idea about what anyone should do and it dosen't seem like most people who have made it in can say exactly what got them in. Just be honest and hope your interviewers aren't uptight.

Most onsens say "not tatoos" even in Osaka. Some allow you to come in if you cover them up.

I don't have any tatoos, but this is what I've heard.

Yeah, that's generally true. Some places don't say anything, though; I've never had a problem with the sento near me, but mine's only tiny.

Quote Originally Posted by dobharrison
    but mine's only tiny.

dont worry my son, even the smallest flower can provide pollen for many bees.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

So that's why they all stare when I walk in... ops:

Nishiazai-cho, Shiga-ken ---> California, USA

Quote Originally Posted by IniKamoze
    Quote Originally Posted by dobharrison
    but mine's only tiny.

dont worry my son, even the smallest flower can provide pollen for many bees.
    Wow!! he just made his insult seem nice HA HA HA!!!
    You got the BFG 9000...Oh yes!!

I hate you doomer.

Nishiazai-cho, Shiga-ken ---> California, USA

Quote Originally Posted by angry_professor
    I hate you doomer.
    But I love you Angry!! :smt008 :smt007 :smt006
    You got the BFG 9000...Oh yes!!