Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frustration

Well, we use ours too, even though everyone (JTEs included) hates them and I'm always pointing out the mistakes!

Even the 'fucking CIA' textbook I used to use seems to have stopped swearing.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Quote Originally Posted by kristybruce
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia

The textbooks are insipid, and the way they teach grammar is painful.
    What??? You don't love the text book?? What about that poetic gem from the ichinensei New Crown, "Together in Nature"

"I am a boy. You are a bird.
    We are together, together in nature..."

Pure Shakespeare, it is, and rivalled only by the brillance of " I am a kendama champion".

On a related note, has anyone else noticed how the JTEs react if someone dares to criticze the textbook? At our brush up seminar, one of the ALTs said the textbook made it more difficult for the students to learn English, and a dead silence fell over the room...

That's exactly the textbook I am bitching about!

And what's worse, is several of my JTE's spend the entire class spoonfeeding that shit to the kids. First we pronounce and repeat the vocab, then we pronounce and repeat 2-3 word chunks of lame dialogue, then we pronounce and repeat the sentences in said dialogue, then the students pair off and read the dialogue to each other. aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Then if I try to throw up a verb chart to explain the connection between "have" and "has" (why they are taught separately is beyond me) the kids look confused and the JTEs get smarmy on me.

It seems like I'm about 50/30/20 with JTEs I hate/like/love. Oddly enough, the pattern is usually proportional to the amount of time the JTE spent studying abroad. All of my fave JTEs (both of them) studied outisde of Japan. Does anyone else have that correlation?
    "Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction." ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Nishiazai-cho, Shiga-ken ---> California, USA

Both my JTEs had extensive time outside japan...and they have to be the best teachers in Shiga prefecture!!!
    You got the BFG 9000...Oh yes!!

Quote Originally Posted by kristybruce

The textbooks are insipid, and the way they teach grammar is painful.
    What??? You don't love the text book?? What about that poetic gem from the ichinensei New Crown, "Together in Nature"

"I am a boy. You are a bird.
    We are together, together in nature..."

Pure Shakespeare, it is, and rivalled only by the brillance of " I am a kendama champion".
    no..oh no you aren't a proper ALT like until you've had to teach rhythm corner...altogether now...'this is Ken's mother..this is Kumi's grandfather ..this is yumi's godfather waddawaddawaddawadddawaddawahhhh'
    "I don't want to go to Waitrose, I want a fuck buddy."

at one of my jr highs, the elective english classes use this book called 'letters from alts' or something like that. except i think that instead of being strictly from alts, the letters are from all manner of random foreigners, since some of them start off like, 'my name is mike. i'm ten years old and live in wisconsin.' the part i like best, though, is that some of the letters are clearly from non-native english speakers who are not exactly what i would call, um, proficient in english. last week, we taught a lesson about surprising things in japan, like garbage sorting. the passage started off 'how do you put out a prastic bag of potato tips?' and continued from there. it was excellent.

but anyway, on the topic of letters from alts... cynthia, have you thought about offering to do something like a letter exchange with your kids? i only have three schools, but i end up being away from each school for a month at a time. i've told my kids that they can write to me whenever they want, in english or japanese, and i'll write back to them. i only have a few kids at each school that do it, but they write consistently and at least i feel like i'm making a difference to those few kids. it's a great chance for them to actually use english and/or free japanese practice for me. my schools are all close enough to my house that i just drop in every once in a while, but maybe you could have the kiddies send letters to your boe office or something? i think getting to know your students outside english class makes the job a lot more fun, but i imagine that'd be tough if you're only at a school 3 times a year. maybe reaching out to the ones who actually want to learn with something like this could help a little.

good luck. i hope you can find a way to make your job a bit more satisfying (or at the very least, a bit less punishing).

"I have to read out of a retarded textbook" - oh my god what a terrible situation, no one has ever had to do that!!!! Stop fucking moaning! you're a JET arent you, get on with it - fuck a student, break a few laws and conduct yourself in a unprofessioanl manner
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I too am not a fan of the textbooks in any way shape or form. One of my JTEs regularly asks me if something in the textbook is correct and when I politely try to tell her that it is not something I would say as a native english speaker she smiles, nods and then proceeds to tell me that I must be mistaken and it must just be an American thing which, being British, I am just unaware of. Yes at times it can be said that Americans have -to some extent- bastardized our beautiful language, but the things she points out are just plain f***ing stupid! ....and yes I am being an arse and do not mean any real offence to all you lovely Americans! :smt008 don't hate, people!!

Quote Originally Posted by IniKamoze
    "I have to read out of a retarded textbook" - oh my god what a terrible situation, no one has ever had to do that!!!! Stop fucking moaning! you're a JET arent you, get on with it - fuck a student, break a few laws and conduct yourself in a unprofessioanl manner
    It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to. :P

Besides, it feels better to know that I'm not the only one putting up with stupid shit. I appreciate everyone listening to my rants. I guess it's one thing to hear about all the frustrating things about JET, and it's another to actually experience them!
    "Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction." ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Now with 25% less sugar! Auburn's Avatar

It seems like I'm about 50/30/20 with JTEs I hate/like/love. Oddly enough, the pattern is usually proportional to the amount of time the JTE spent studying abroad. All of my fave JTEs (both of them) studied outisde of Japan. Does anyone else have that correlation?
    I have a school on a tiny, isolated island that I only go to about once every two weeks, and the students there speak much better English than the ones at the bigger "better" schools. It's 100% because their teacher studied abroad in Australia. She (gasp) teaches English IN English!

I like the suggestion about writing letters though. It would give the students a chance to see how a native speaker would use English.

I feel your frustration though, cause I've got it too! If you come up with any great ideas, please let me know. I'm not just here to bitch about the textbook, as was implied, but I'm actually looking for ways to improve the situation within the framework provided.

I would say as a native english speaker she smiles, nods and then proceeds to tell me that I must be mistaken and it must just be an American thing which, being British, I am just unaware of.
    That's funny because I get it exact opposite! "Oh, it's British English" or "It must be Igirisu" or "maybe British and Aussies say it that way."

Since I'm Canadian, we often use both British and American phrases interchangably. (Assuming that the phrase in question is actually correct!)

So when my JTE asks which is better, I usually have to say that both are correct. My JTE clearly thinks its an excuse and that I am too lazy to explain the fine points of English grammar!

Yeah, even if you pick one over the other you most likely will be wrong anyway.

true enough.