Thread: Simple Classroom Japanese

Now with 25% less sugar! Auburn's Avatar

Default Simple Classroom Japanese

I know everyone says that we aren't supposed to speak Japanese to the students, but what are you supposed to do after you've given an instruction in five differents ways (including mime) and the students still don't understand?

I was thinking that it might be useful to make a list of simple Japanese that ALTs can use in the classroom. Things like, "Please repeat", or "Listen carefully", etc. It would especially come in handy for people like me who go to elementary schools where the teachers dont actually speak English, and the children have very limited vocabularies.

So, does anyone have any wisdom to share?

Nishiazai-cho, Shiga-ken ---> California, USA

The list is a good idea...one of the kocho senseis at one of my elems actually asked me to speak more japanese in the classroom...but the list would be useful its a good idea...at the very least make one for the teacher...also you might want to let the faculty at the school know what your lesson plan is before you get there...then some of the teacher might be a little more helpful by memorizing a few words you might use the night before!!
    You got the BFG 9000...Oh yes!!

Now with 25% less sugar! Auburn's Avatar

Oh, I don't make the lesson plans. Ever.

Which is why there is a problem, as sometimes the teacher just says, "Teach them how to tell time" or "Teach them how to say how many". I have 10 different schools I go to, and so most of the time I get the teachers plan the day of. And its usually written in Japanese...

Quote Originally Posted by kristybruce
    Oh, I don't make the lesson plans. Ever.

Which is why there is a problem, as sometimes the teacher just says, "Teach them how to tell time" or "Teach them how to say how many". I have 10 different schools I go to, and so most of the time I get the teachers plan the day of. And its usually written in Japanese...
    You sound like you are in a similar boat as me. Unless as teacher specifically asks me not to speak much Japanese, I just go ahead and use it when I need to. Especially at the elementary level, when there aren't even any JTE's to translate in a pinch!

For JHS, I avoid it in the classroom, but use it during lunch time (always accompanied with the English translation). As far as I'm concerned, communication is the most important thing. Far too many students will just sit there and stare at me before they will attempt to speak to me in English. Using a little Japanese helps them open up, and I try to use it as a teachable moment.
    "Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction." ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Helpful words

Sit down please - suwatte kudasai
    Please say it - Itte kudasai
    Please say "X" -'X' wo itte kudasai
    Please listen - Kiitte kudasai
    Shut up - Urusai!
    Please Stop - Yamette kudasai
    Stop it! - Yamerro!
    Listen carefully (lit. strain one's ears) - mimi wo sumasu (good chance this is rarely used)

Anything specific you want to know?
    It is a solidly built word of just four letters, bracketed by rock-hard consonants. It ... explodes into space from a gate formed by the upper incisors and the lower lip. Then it slams to a dramatic glottal cough.

Nishiazai-cho, Shiga-ken ---> California, USA

Zetai Dame!! - Dont you ever do that again!!
    You got the BFG 9000...Oh yes!!

Urusai gaki
    Ketsunoana
    Koro shite yaru
    Mocca-mocca su su Ama
    Nyow nyow shita ku nai
    Bukkoroshite yaru zo
    Kocha koi
    Mukatsuku
    Tameguchi kitten ja ney o
    Do digata ni kazana ho akeruzou
    Kutabacchimae
    Oreno chinko swe
    Anata baka chibi ike ike
    Okama
    Tansyo-
    Yariman onna
    Issunboshi
    Antara futari sorotte temeko shitatsu no?
    Mikosurihan
    Ittai nani ga hoshitenda
    Shinezu buso kuso
    Nani mitendayo, kora
    Sugu ikasete
    Demiya Katsume
    Anata no ikei wo miru to totemo koufun shimasu
    Ore no shitta koto ja nai

And make sure people call you Paizuri Tatsujin, its a humble way of saying teacher.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.